Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Loading/Unloading Reata 210 without getting wet? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Minnow

Default Loading/Unloading Reata 210 without getting wet?

I have a 2004 Ranger Reata and if I'm by myself the only way I've figured it out is to walk out into the water to climb in the boat which won't work in the winter. I have a topper on the truck so I can't just climb into the bed but even if I could it's a huge step up from the tailgate. I've seen guys use the rope attached to the boat and the back of the truck but our docks are not next to the ramps at most local lakes. I'm in Oklahoma and just not a lot of guys using the bigger mutlispecies boats locally so I'm hoping for more suggestions from y'all. Thanks for any advise you can help me with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

I back the boat in the water, climb over the front of the boat, then back the boat off the trailer and tie it to the dock or beach it.

I use hip waders to stay dry.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Wallhanger

Get an ulterra.
Ulterra
Solix 12 mega
Solix 10 mega
HB 360 transom mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 02:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C View Post
Get an ulterra.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Wallhanger

I second the hip waders, never wet again , don't ever have to worry about ramp anymore.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 08-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiro View Post
I have a 2004 Ranger Reata and if I'm by myself the only way I've figured it out is to walk out into the water to climb in the boat which won't work in the winter. I have a topper on the truck so I can't just climb into the bed but even if I could it's a huge step up from the tailgate. I've seen guys use the rope attached to the boat and the back of the truck but our docks are not next to the ramps at most local lakes. I'm in Oklahoma and just not a lot of guys using the bigger mutlispecies boats locally so I'm hoping for more suggestions from y'all. Thanks for any advise you can help me with.
Same problem with my 1875 Impact. 24 inches more on the tongue of the trailer would fix. Instead I keep knee high rubber boots to slip on, or in the summer I just wear flip flops. Seems like a longer tongue would fix.....just have to be carefull that the ramp isnt slimy as well. Not a deal breaker, but 2 seconds to slip the boots on and then I added non skid 3m tape to trailer to step on. Thinking as I get older a pair of steps are going to be on my list.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 PM
Minnow

Ulterra, Ezzee Steps.com, hip waders, are a few options out there, I've had to adapt as the water gets cold the last few years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

1. Put a walk board on your trailer so if needed, you can walk the full length of your trailer without getting wet.

2. Put steps on the front of the trailer so that if you need to get in the boat, you walk up the steps into the boat.

--
To launch the boat.
1. Prep the boat ready for launching with traps off etc. up in the parking lot. Leave the winch strap connected until the boat get to the edge of the water. You don't want the boat coming off of the trailer when there is not water under the hull.

2. Hook a lead rope to the bow eye of the trailer, and tie it off to the tongue of the trailer with 20 feet of slack that can drop below the trailer.

3. Get back into the tow vehicle and back quickly back into the water so that the boat is effectively floating and slam on the brakes. The boat will float off the trailer and glide out past the end of the trailer.

4. Drive the tow vehicle forward until the trailer is out of the water and clear so that you can walk behind the trailer. Walk to the trailer, untie the lead rope and then, use the lead rope to put the boat where you want it, and tie it up.

Park your vehicle.

To load your boat,

Drive to shore and use the dock if there is one or beach the boat if not and go over the bow of the boat to get out of the boat onto dry land.

Go to your tow vehicle and take the trailer to the ramp and back the trailer far enough in, so that you can drive the boat onto the trailer.

Hop back into the boat, back out, line up and drive the boat onto the trailer and with the motor in gear and running, walk to the front of the boat, reach down grab the winch strap and hook it to the bow eye of the boat and give the winch a couple of turns to make it tight. Then, walk back to the motor move the throttle to neutral, turn off the motor and lift the motor out of the water.

Hop out of the boat, walk down the steps onto the tongue of the trailer and hop down onto dry land. Get into your tow vehicle, drive to an open area in the parking lot and prep the boat and rig for travel and call it a day.

No need to ever get wet feet or wet legs.

Be safe
Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Boat steps for your trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxPjSuHICdY
Old 08-20-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

Hop out of the boat, walk down the steps onto the tongue of the trailer and hop down onto dry land. Get into your tow vehicle, drive to an open area in the parking lot and prep the boat and rig for travel and call it a day.

No need to ever get wet feet or wet legs.

Be safe
Sounds like the OP has to back in far enough that the tongue of the trailer and the rear of his vehicle is over the water. This would make it hard to " hop down onto dry land."

I see this situation happening on flood control reservoirs, where the optimum ramps angle is not obtained under all water levels. I've chosen to launch at times when even the front of my tow vehicle is over the waters edge. Stepping out of the drivers door means stepping into water 6 inches deep.

If one is launching and loading while solo, not much can be done except to wear boots or waders to avoid wet feet. I go thru this every time the water is over two feet above "normal".

Right now the water is way below normal and the ramp ends before the boat can be comfortably launched. Dry land all the way back to the trailer wheels.