Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Loading/Unloading Reata 210 without getting wet? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Keeper

Default Extension

Have you considered something like this? https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapt...e/RP11004.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 07:22 PM
Wallhanger

Another vote for hip boots. I put a D-Step on my trailer works great with my Impact.
MK Terrova I-Pilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 MSI G3N
Humminbird Helix 7
Old 08-21-2019, 02:12 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
Sounds like the OP has to back in far enough that the tongue of the trailer and the rear of his vehicle is over the water. This would make it hard to " hop down onto dry land."

I see this situation happening on flood control reservoirs, where the optimum ramps angle is not obtained under all water levels. I've chosen to launch at times when even the front of my tow vehicle is over the waters edge. Stepping out of the drivers door means stepping into water 6 inches deep.

If one is launching and loading while solo, not much can be done except to wear boots or waders to avoid wet feet. I go thru this every time the water is over two feet above "normal".

Right now the water is way below normal and the ramp ends before the boat can be comfortably launched. Dry land all the way back to the trailer wheels.

^^^^ This ^^^^

I've launched my boat at 6 to 7 ramps in my area and I can't remember a single ramp in which at least my hitch wasn't over the water and most time my back tires are in an inch or two of water. Hip boots for me unless it's summer time, then it's shorts and flip flops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 04:37 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiro View Post
I have a 2004 Ranger Reata and if I'm by myself the only way I've figured it out is to walk out into the water to climb in the boat which won't work in the winter. I have a topper on the truck so I can't just climb into the bed but even if I could it's a huge step up from the tailgate. I've seen guys use the rope attached to the boat and the back of the truck but our docks are not next to the ramps at most local lakes. I'm in Oklahoma and just not a lot of guys using the bigger mutlispecies boats locally so I'm hoping for more suggestions from y'all. Thanks for any advise you can help me with.
Awww come on, people in Oklahoma have to be smarter than that!

Who you build a boat ramp and install a dock but not have them together??
Old 08-23-2019, 05:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclawman View Post
Awww come on, people in Oklahoma have to be smarter than that!

Who you build a boat ramp and install a dock but not have them together??
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-23-2019, 09:11 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

Hop back into the boat, back out, line up and drive the boat onto the trailer and with the motor in gear and running, walk to the front of the boat, reach down grab the winch strap and hook it to the bow eye of the boat and give the winch a couple of turns to make it tight. Then, walk back to the motor move the throttle to neutral, turn off the motor and lift the motor out of the water.

Hop out of the boat, walk down the steps onto the tongue of the trailer and hop down onto dry land. Get into your tow vehicle, drive to an open area in the parking lot and prep the boat and rig for travel and call it a day.

No need to ever get wet feet or wet legs.

Be safe
This is exactly my MO. much of it is ramp dependent though - it seems like most ramps my back tires are to the water to get the trailer in deep enough. I keep a set of knee high rubber boots for spring and fall. Summer is just flip flops. Or if I forget the boots (it's happened.... 45 degree water is COLD!) i'll take my shoes and socks off and pull my pant legs up and walk carefully.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

By the way, unless the body of water and the ramp is deserted, there may be a person around the ramp who could pull the rig out for you if you ask and have driven in to the water with the trailer for boat loading.

Obviously ask before loading so that you have agreement from the person.

Be safe
Old 08-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Prdator 16V

This is what I use. Just use a longer rope on the release handle along with a rope tied to the bow. https://www.boat2trailerhookup.com/boat-launch-videos/
Old 08-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdator 16V View Post
This is what I use. Just use a longer rope on the release handle along with a rope tied to the bow. https://www.boat2trailerhookup.com/boat-launch-videos/

I guess that I should have logged in so as not to post as a guest.
The release handle can be attached at different angles. With a longer rope you can even release from inside of your vehicle if need be.