Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2 x4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 08-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Minnow

Default 2 x4

Preference between two stroke Evenrude e tech and Mercury four stroke and why? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

4 stroke.
Quiet, quiet, quiet, quiet

No smoke, no smoke, no smoke.

Fill the crankcase with oil once a season and change it at the appropriate number of hours.

Depending on the hours of use, one may go for several seasons with no need for oil, as long as there is no water or fuel contamination in the oil and you do not exceed the number of hours recommended between oil changes.

Take care
Old 08-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
4 stroke.

Fill the crankcase with oil once a season and change it at the appropriate number of hours.

Depending on the hours of use, one may go for several seasons with no need for oil, as long as there is no water or fuel contamination in the oil and you do not exceed the number of hours recommended between oil changes.

Take care
Say's the guy who actually owns an old, old OMC 2-stroke,,,,,
HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 03:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
4 stroke.

Take care
The new E-TEC outboard engines are not your grandfathers outboard. They are very quiet with no smoke whatsoever. They are rated the best for emissions bar none. Stronger out of the hole and less maintenance. If you live in a cold climate area they winterize themselves in less than 2 minutes....no break in period and come with a 10 year warranty.

If say the engine is mounted on a boat thatís in the water all the time, then no need to Hull it out for a oil change. And the miles per gallon is fantastic.

Also no problems with power steering draining your battery, thus a extra house battery is not needed. They also produce 133 amps with 50 amps dedicated to the boat.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Wallhanger

I'll take a four stroke, mostly because it's not a e-tec.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
The new E-TEC outboard engines are not your grandfathers outboard. They are very quiet with no smoke whatsoever. They are rated the best for emissions bar none. Stronger out of the hole and less maintenance. If you live in a cold climate area they winterize themselves in less than 2 minutes....no break in period and come with a 10 year warranty.

If say the engine is mounted on a boat thatís in the water all the time, then no need to Hull it out for a oil change. And the miles per gallon is fantastic.

Also no problems with power steering draining your battery, thus a extra house battery is not needed. They also produce 133 amps with 50 amps dedicated to the boat.
Right on!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2019, 12:46 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbgbesox View Post
Preference between two stroke Evenrude e tech and Mercury four stroke and why? Thanks
I've always ran older 2 srokes, with an 87 Merc Black Max being my last one, I just moved into a Yamaha 4 stroke and wow what a different beast.
The 4 stroke is very quiet, sometimes i forget it's on, also being fuel injected there's no typical old two stroke mystical method of getting it to cold start, just turn the key and there it is. Big step up in convenience. Its an awesome motor
The new Evinrude motors, as Bobby mentioned are not like their old 2 stroke relatives. You basically don't have to touch it for 5 years, they winterize themselves, 10 year warranty and much more of a fuel miser than the old thirsty two strokes.
Performance wise, a 2 stroke will always have more lower end torque, they rip you out of the water and get you going, that's why the tourney bass guys mainly run 2 stroke motors with high pitched props.
What i like about the merc verado 4 stroke is that a 200hp motor can have the ecm reprogrammed relatively cheap and it can turn into a 300+ hp motor.

The drawback to some of the 4 strokes is the weight of these motors especially if you are repowering an older boat. The newer motors are coming down in weight though. Basically everyone makes a good motor these days, Honda and Yamaha are legendary in reliability.
It's kind of a Ford Chevy thing sometimes, people like what they like. Try getting test rides at a marina if you can with the motors you are considering, that way you can see first hand. Either way you go, i don't think you can lose, both good motors.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 08-24-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Default No need

no need to add oil,,, I admit I have no insight to an E-tec,,, but do think my 4 stroke Yamaha is the best motor I have used or been around.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Keeper

I repowered with a 2017 Etec g1 150 after piston seized in 2004 Johnson/Suzuki 140 four stroke. The Etec has been good, but under most conditions I would get a four stroke. I put a lot of hours on in a year so the oil gets very expensive. You can smell a faint odor of oil at times. Barely noticeable. It is definitely a lot louder at idle. The initial torque is probably better than a four stroke. A 150 four stroke probably is better on the top end from performance reports I have seen. The G1 weighs about the same as my Johnson140 four stroke did. I wanted to keep weight down with more performance than the 140. The G2 150 is the heaviest four stroke out there. I bought the Etec because it was a good repower option. The weight benefit of the Etec G2 150 is gone. I would not get an Etec on a new boat. The maintenance cost are lower on four stroke if you change your own oil. I went through ten gallons of Xd100 oil last year. So $300 to $400 in oil depending on how good a price you get. Exception would be if you put 50 or less hours on motor per season. I know the g2 use less oil and get better mileage. Still more expensive to operate if you do your own maintenance on a four stroke. Etecs are expensive to have spark plugs changed due to indexing the plugs, etc..Definitely easier to sell boat with a four stroke and resale is probably going to be higher.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Keeper

Just in case somebody asks I do not have my Etec G1 set to the Xd100 setting. The dealer prefers the motor be set on tcw3 setting. To insure it getting sufficient oil under hard use. Some people incorrectly assume the Xd100 setting means 100:1 oil ratio. Actual ratio is more like 70:1. Computer determines how much oil is needed based on operating conditions. Fast accelerations, rpms, etc.. I am happy with the Etec 150. I feel I can give an objective evaluation at this point. I had a four stroke for fourteen years and have about 280 hours on my Etec.