Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
stayncharge - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 09-13-2005, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Default stayncharge

Just wanted to let you know how this has been working for me as I recently had an experience with it that really opened my eyes.

I replaced my 2 trolling motor batteries about 2 mths ago with Trojan 225c's. I hooked up the stayncharge unit to them and also my onboard 3 bank charger. I have had the stayncharge since the beginning of the season, but my old batteries were pretty lame so I didnt bother using it too much.

They way I use my bowmount most of the time is to use it to steer while trolling while using my kicker to push. I have a Merc kicker with the 15 amp charging system. For the last month or so, I usually can run 5-6 hrs with the bowmount running about 1/2 speed with the autopilot on. When I am done I usually have about 3/4 charge left which I thought was great. But I didnt really know whether to attribute that to the new batteries, the stayncharge, or a combo of both or what.

the trip before the last time out, the batteries ran down after about 4 hours of pretty hard use. I was in the Detroit river mostly trolling upstream and there was a pretty good breeze. This bummed me out. When I got home, I realised I forgot to put the fuse in the stayncharge (I take it out when I plug in the ac charger, just incase) So I charged up the batteries and was ready for last Sat. We went back to the river, and again used it hard for about 5 hrs this time. But I didnt run low this time. When I checked the charge back at the house, I was at 3/4 charge again. This was just from charging from the boat's motors. I didnt have it hooked up to the truck (but I plan on doing that soon)

This has really sold me on this setup.

Just thought I would let you guys know.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Minnow

Default RE: stayncharge

Wait until youhook the truck part up. You will never have to take that old AC cord out of the back of the truck again. Give me a call soon so i can let you know about the new stuff i am working on.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Mike Bossy

Jim, i have an '89 Merc 115, 2+2, and run a 24 volt digital Motorguide 84 lb transom electric, would the outboard put out enough amps to recharge that 24 volt system well on the water ie running the outboard 20 minutes, then the electric for say 4 hours at 75 %, then run the outboard back 20 minutes? Also, what is new in the new system you are designing? My email is [email protected], maybe you could reply there and you could help me understand application of this system better, i am very interested and have read all the stuff on your webpage

thanx

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Minnow

Mike i will try to contact you in the morning but just a fast thought. If you troll gor 4 hours and drive twenty minutes you will probably only get 25 to 30 % back with the 115. But the key is, if you have the Original unit on the truck it would take about 30 minutes on the road to top off the two batteries. And if you drive back to the lake the next time out they will be topped of again. The New All Charge is desighned to charge up to three trolling batteries from the outboard and from the truck it will charge the boat start battery and up to three trolling batteries while you tow the boat down the road. One of the new products i have is if you have a 7 prong plug at the back of the truck then we are now buliding the 7 prong plug with the charging plug built in with the trailer wire harness together. Now you can use any truck that has the 7 prong on it and charge any boat that has the Stayncharge in it. Mike what state are you in?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Mike Bossy

i'm actually in Alberta, Canada, and thanx for the quick response,

Mike
Old 09-21-2005, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I just got the trailer connector that Jim is talking about and it makes for a real simple hookup for the vehicles charging system to the battery. There is also an led in the connector to let you know that you have power there. I will be trying it out this weekend.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Baggyd

A quick question for you guy's running the "ALL Charge" system, does the box need to be mounted vertically or can it be mounted horizontallty or does it matter at all? Since it doesn't give off the heat of an onboard charger i guess it shouldn't matter. I'm in the process of mounting one right now and looking forward to using it.

Thanks

Scott Demeuse
Middleton, Wi
Old 09-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

You are correct. It doesnt matter. I put it next to my onboard charger and batteries so everything was located in the same area.

Another tip is pay attention to which battery is #1 and which is #2 when you hook it up if you are running a 24v system. I had it backwards at first and it didnt work. It doesnt hurt anything, you will see the lights on the unit flashing rapidly. Just switch the leads and it will work fine.