Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Camp stove modification - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Camp stove modification

Looking for suggestions and ideas. We have a large group for shore lunch. Usually 12-16. I know it's cheating, but we use a two burner camp stove, each burner 10,000 BTU's. We also use a dip pan inside of the regular pan. The issue is; we use a propane tank from the outfitter. It is a standard size that is used on most outdoor BBQ's That thing is pain to haul around and move in/out of the boat. By it's shape it just does not travel well and takes up space......just awkward no matter how it is secured and stowed. Can this type of stove be retrofitted to the smaller green Coleman bottles of propane used on smaller camp stoves. Or, does anyone have suggestions for other stoves that use that gas delivery system. It would need some wind protection, 10,000 BTU's, and waist height set up is a preference. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camp stove.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	84329  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Why not buy and use a re-fillable 5# or 10# tank?

HRG
Old 04-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Packpro,
Have you tried using one of the plastic egg crate style boxes?
These boxes are the perfect size to hold a 20 lb propane bottle.
With the size of the burners on these stoves, I really would not go to a smaller bottle.
You use a fair amount of propane with these stoves, and generally need the pressure of the larger tanks.

However, one of the previous post is right, you could certainly use a 5 or 10 lb tank if you want. The only issue is cost. The empty 5 and 10 lb tanks now run about $60. Then, it is $5 or $10 to fill them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite...9006/100671083

p.s.
I have frequently used the stoves that you mention and agree very much that they are the perfect stove for your use.

Last edited by REW; 04-24-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM
Wallhanger

Default +1 for a 10 lber

In my 1800 ProV, my 10 lb tank fits under the floor in the third battery compartment in the back of the boat. An ice cream bucket over the collar prevents wires from getting pinched.

A 10 lb tank should fit in almost any corner or in most under floor holds in your own boat or next to the gas tank in the back of most resort boats.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Wallhanger

You just need this adapter:

http://www.basspro.com/Coleman-1Poun...2012805011032/
Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I do not think a 1lb can will last very long or give you the results you will want especially if colder or windy. We use a 10lb cylinder, with big groups on the same stove and you can get 3-4 lunches out of them. Mine fits under my dashboard.

If you go with the alb cylinders I would try it out at home in the elements first to make sure it meets your needs.

Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Wallhanger

Default 1 Pound Tank

I converted my 1-burner shore lunch burner to run on the small canisters for the same reasons you mention.. Not sure of the BTU, but it was a high-output burner. Needed to put a regulator in the line. Cooking for just my wife and I (1 pan of fish, and a pan of potatoes) the 1# would last 3 days or so. For your situation, a larger tank would probably work better. My guess is that you would use a couple small ones for each meal.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Wallhanger

I'm with REW. I grabbed an old plastic milk crate. Fits in there perfectly snug, and becomes more stable. Plus, there's room in the corners for tongs and spatulas. I actually keep my tank in there anytime I'm using it and it's not hanging on the grill.... gives it a really stable base on any terrain.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by packpro View Post
Looking for suggestions and ideas. We have a large group for shore lunch. Usually 12-16. I know it's cheating, but we use a two burner camp stove, each burner 10,000 BTU's. We also use a dip pan inside of the regular pan. The issue is; we use a propane tank from the outfitter. It is a standard size that is used on most outdoor BBQ's That thing is pain to haul around and move in/out of the boat. By it's shape it just does not travel well and takes up space......just awkward no matter how it is secured and stowed. Can this type of stove be retrofitted to the smaller green Coleman bottles of propane used on smaller camp stoves. Or, does anyone have suggestions for other stoves that use that gas delivery system. It would need some wind protection, 10,000 BTU's, and waist height set up is a preference. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.
If you really wanted to travel light, Saw these 5lb tanks at Camping World and Amazon. Hopefully 5 would get you through a lunch, but seems the tradeoff would be having to refill it after every lunch. Plus the tank is expensive. But here it is:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...b-1-gal-/56052
Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 AM
Minnow

We use a three burner coleman stove that burns coleman fuel . Use 1 wok for fish another for potatos and a 2 quart pan for beans . This works for 10 people and it not that heavy .