Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sleeping/camping on boat. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Keeper

I've done it in my Crestliner 1850. No tent, just sleeping bag and pad on the floor of the cockpit. Works fine for one or two adults or me and my kids; My kids think it's pretty exciting. The downside is lack of camping gear storage so I've never done it for more than a night at a time; we'll set up a shore camp if we want to do more than a night. If I had room for enough gear to make it comfortable long term I'd never get off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

I've always been too scared of snakes finding my boat in the middle of the night to try camping on the boat. Every time I've seen a snake in the water, it wants to get into the boat. I don't want to wake up to a rattling alarm clock sitting next to my face.

Otherwise, very workable with the right top-set.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I've slept overnight on my 16footer with windshield. I use my travel cover for my "tent" to keep the dew away. Sleeping pad, sleeping bag and I snore the night away. I usually anchor with two anchors just off shore so I am not rubbing the hull all night.

Small single burner backpacking stove, some fresh water and food, I good for a couple or three days.

I don't take anything that needs kept cold and only keep fish on the last day when I can clean them fresh.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:24 PM
Wallhanger

This is not boat camping, but a couple of years ago I ran across two guys pitching camp on an island at Voyagers Nat Park in northern MN. They were using hammocks with the screens, rain fly, zip up sides and built in air mattresses. They said they can camp anywhere and don't have to find a campsite with a level spot for a tent. They told me they also use this system when using canoes in the BWCA. Seemed like a very simple method of camping.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Minnow

Default Boat Camping

I couldn't wait to try boat camping on my 2050. My wife went out of town one weekend and I decided to give it a try on Laurel Lake in KY. I thought I would try a solo trip before taking someone else. It was raining on my way to the lake but by the time I put in the rain stopped and it turned out to be a beautiful calm night with a full moon and not a sole in sight. Very peaceful and relaxing and I can't wait to do it again. I was able to fit a full size cot and was very comfortable. I had my curtains up but left the back one open, which left me a great view. The only problem I had was being a bit too liberal with the electronics and after fishing with the trolling motor all morning, I realized that I had run my cranking battery down during the night. Luckily I had enough juice left in the trolling motor to get back to the ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2963.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	194697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2968.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	504.3 KB
ID:	194705  
Old 02-17-2016, 01:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A & W Dad View Post
Who's done it? Im not talking about cabin cruisers or houseboats, I mean fishing boats. Here is was I have been thinking about, my ranger reata has a large open cockpit that I could fit my 3 man tent without rain fly, or go tent free or get some bug netting and sew up a little canopy for behind the windshield to cover cockpit. I have certainly slept in worse conditions on hunting trips. I not planning long trips this way, just an overnight on the Missouri river with my son. The Missouri has little to no boat traffic at night. My plans would be to pull into a little bay and drop anchor and spend the night. Obviously this would be during good weather. We have stayed at most of the state parks up and down the river just looking for a little adventure.
I do a fair amount of backcountry fishing but I use a clearing/campsite.

I suppose if its for only 1 night, why not. As long as you have shelter from the bugs..lol
HB 1199 CI HD Si (Helm)
Helix 10 GPS (Dash)
Evinrude 15HO Kicker (Tiller)

Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
I've always been too scared of snakes finding my boat in the middle of the night to try camping on the boat. Every time I've seen a snake in the water, it wants to get into the boat. I don't want to wake up to a rattling alarm clock sitting next to my face.

Otherwise, very workable with the right top-set.
Had one get in the boat last year in canada .
Old 02-17-2016, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Default Boat Camping

Very do-able in my 1850 Tyee with full topset. Even done it a couple times on Lake Superior, staying overnight on the boat at a safe harbor.
Pull the seats and drop a cot in (the floor will get damp on alot of nights) I usually dont take a bag, just a medium blanket that folds up into one of the storage bins, and small airplane pillow. A single burner stove and a few 1# propane tanks.

That said, I much prefer setting up camp on shore. But if that's not legal where you are at, the boat can work, you just need to be really organized about packing. I've spent over 350 nights tent camping in the above mentioned Voyaguers Nat'l park with the boat (all campsites in it are boat-in) so I have quite a bit of experience but with pre-planning anyone with a decent size boat can do it.

Last edited by Xplorer; 02-17-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:13 AM
Wallhanger

I've thought about doing it several times but never have as of yet. There are a couple small bays north of Platte Creek that might work well. However, I'd probably stay someplace like Pease Creek back around the island. As anyone knows that has fished along there the wind can get very strong. At Pease you could get your boat out quickly if needed vs. running down the river to a boat ramp potentially in the wind, waves and dark. Also, at Pease could somewhat keep an eye on your tow vehicle setting there all night and be close to a toilet :-). I've never had anything happen, but have never let my truck and trailer set there all night either. Suppose you could have someone drop you off but in an emergency time is precious if you needed to get your rig out of the water. Sounds like a good time.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Keeper

Default Boat camping

Just wondering--Would you have to keep your lights on ??