Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
4-stroke lawn edgers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Wallhanger

Default 4-stroke lawn edgers

Looking for feedback on 4-stroke lawn edgers. My current POS 2-stroke ain't getting the job done. Looking for the good, bad and ugly on 4-strokers. Weeding through reviews hasn't helped a whole bunch, about 50/50 for most machines unless I start looking at the $600- $700 category. Thanks in advance.

Nails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 03:58 AM
Wallhanger

Had a 3 stroke and trashed it . Bought a 4 stroke MTD and it is fast. Basically walk through the job. My drive is 150 foot and it is 150 across the front at street therefore 450 foot in less than 5 minutes. This is a horizontal shaft engine type and would stay away from the vertical which complicates the belt drive system. I also leave the old blade on when replacing with a new one. This gives a wider cut which I like better. Best part is that I found a nearly new one on Craiglist for $50.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

Have you looked at the Stihl Kombi? Although two stroke it's got plenty of power and you can buy an edger, trimmer, blower, tiller, and other attachments. Mine starts easily, and the edger does a great job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Had a 3 stroke and trashed it
What make was that ?????????? (Sorry - I had to do it).
Old 10-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleheader View Post
Have you looked at the Stihl Kombi? Although two stroke it's got plenty of power and you can buy an edger, trimmer, blower, tiller, and other attachments. Mine starts easily, and the edger does a great job.
I Have the KM 110 with the curved edger and it does not lack power. Being able to attach a blower or trimmer in 10 seconds and use the same powerhead for those is awesome. Highly recommended tool.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

I also highly suggest a stick edger - the Stihl 110 Kombi would be one choice.

I purchased the Echo 225 Kombi - and would suggest more power than the 225 powerhead delivers. It works well once the edges are defined, but if you have to cut through quite a bit to establish the edge, the 225 is a bit weak. Although I will say - I like the lightness of the 225 Kombi.

The Echo will be less expensive, and they have more powerful Kombi systems than the one I got - and a 5 year warranty too.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Keeper

I've had very good luck with my Ryobi 4 stroke string trimmer with a clipper attachment. I was going to get the edger attachment for it but haven't got around to it yet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 AM
Wallhanger

I threw out my edger years ago and now go fishing instead of caring how the edge of my lawn looks.......
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 10-06-2016, 06:28 AM
Minnow

Depending if its for commercial use or just home use.... do what i did, i went with a battery edger a few years back and have not looked back. I bought a hedge trimmer that also used the same battery so i always have 2 batteries charged. That said, i have yet burn through a full charge of one battery for the needs i have. No more cranking to get it started and you can forget about reliability issues. I used to have a four stroke and depending on the angles of the cutting/trimming needed, oil would get into the exhaust and lots of smoke would follow. Going from gas to electric you have to think of it like going from a v8 engine to a 4 cylinder. (torque versus rpm). The battery edgers can and will do a good job.
Im waiting for my leaf blower to die so i can go the same route. The lawnmower being gas cant be avoided. I have very thick St Augustine grass and a electric mower would get overworked x100.

good luck on your search.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Wallhanger

Once you get an edge set, you can keep it maintained with a string trimmer. Either rent an edger early in the year or buy a split beam string trimmer (and the edger attachment).

I use the Echo SRM (very satisfied, especially with the articulated hedge clippers but also have a pole saw attachment to go along with the edger and string trimmer attachments) but hear good things about the Stihl Kombi.