Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Garage Door Opener Light Bulbs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2020, 05:52 AM
Wallhanger

Default Garage Door Opener Light Bulbs

Over the past several months it seemed as though the signal between my garage door open and my trucks were getting weaker. I used to be able to start opening the door as I turned the corner from a block away so that it would be fully opened by the time I got to the house. However, lately, I had to be in the driveway and about 15 feet from the door for it to open. The other day, it stopped working completely for the connection between the built-in visor signal of my F350.

As I was searching YouTube for ways to make the signal stronger again from the opener itself, I found a video discussing that if one had swapped bulbs in the garage door opener with LED bulbs, it is possible, that the frequency from those bulbs was interfering with the signal from the garage door opener. The video explained that you can buy LEDs specifically designed for garage door openers which won't interfere.

I quickly order the bulbs. First, they are so much brighter than the bulbs I had in there. On the first attempt, I was able to open the door again from my F350. Today, I will experiment to ascertain if I have the longer-range back. The bulbs I purchased indicate they are pro-level bulbs from Genie, as in Genie garage door openers. Here is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

A very useful bit of info. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2020, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Bugler,
I will give the bulbs a try. Just recently, I have noticed a severe range reduction on one of my garage doors.

However, I prefer to use the 15 watt or 100 watt equivalent led bulbs which are also available on the same page that you have listed.

https://www.amazon.com/TORCHSTAR-Equ..._t3_B079H1C4TF

I will give them a try and see how they work out.

Thanks much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2020, 08:54 AM
Wallhanger

Wouldn't removing your existing bulbs and see if your remote range improves before you buy any other bulbs make sense first ?
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 12-19-2020, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

When we replaced the opener two years ago, it explicitly warned about this issue in the manual. Still using what it came with. Nice to know there are aftermarket potential solutions!
Old 12-19-2020, 08:57 AM
Wallhanger

When one of my remotes got weak I replaced the battery. As far as the bulbs, how much energy do you have to save to pay 18.00 for light bulbs?
Old 12-19-2020, 09:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
When one of my remotes got weak I replaced the battery. As far as the bulbs, how much energy do you have to save to pay 18.00 for light bulbs?
I could give a crap about the price of the energy or the bulbs, I needed my door to open. Not sure how to replace a battery in a ford mounted visor control. Plus, it was affecting the new remote that I have in my other truck. Everything works fine now.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 12-19-2020, 02:30 PM
Wallhanger

I have a question about this phenomenon of a led light or CFL interfering with a openers RF signal range. I can understand it doing it if the bulb is on but when you open your door the light is normally off and should not be generating any interference. It can only make the interference once it starts to open and the light turns on. Is your light on all the time? What am I missing?
Old 12-19-2020, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey Fisherman View Post
I have a question about this phenomenon of a led light or CFL interfering with a openers RF signal range. I can understand it doing it if the bulb is on but when you open your door the light is normally off and should not be generating any interference. It can only make the interference once it starts to open and the light turns on. Is your light on all the time? What am I missing?

Had the exact issue with LED's in the opener.....the built in remotes in all three of my vehicles worked well when on the street driving up to the garage....but didn't work very well when backing down the driveway.....took a bit to figure out what the issue was. The LED bulbs..........when on the street driving up to the garage, the lights are off, the remotes all worked........when backing out, the lights are on.........the remotes had trouble.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Tom Edison

And we just couldn't use a regular bulb? Not like that bulb provides light for the entire garage.

Special kind of stupid to spend $18 on two bulbs.

Btw: can you tell us once more what size your truck is?