Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
All Canada Shows - 2019 - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 12-26-2018, 08:44 AM
Wallhanger

This is actually the first year in 40+ years that Obabikon will not be attending the Milwaukee Journal show.

I thought the new owners would change the direction, but they actually accelerated the downhill slide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

It seemed to me that the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel sport show featured fewer and fewer Canadian fishing and hunting lodges as the years went by. The last time that I attended the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel sport show was in 2015. I still have a clear recollection for that year that folks were just passing by the booths for the Canadian lodges, without stopping to converse or pick up brochures. The people representing the fishing lodges were just standing in their booths with little to do.

I completely understand Obabikon's comment about passing on the Journal-Sentinel sport show this year. Fishing lodges need to wisely use their marketing budgets. I can only imagine the costs for a fishing lodge to attend a trade show: the fee to have the booth at the show, travel, hotels, restaurants, time away from home, etc.. The lodges must sell several cabins at a trade show to just break even. I wasn't seeing this happen at the Journal-Sentinel sport show.

Kindest regards.....
Old 12-26-2018, 09:51 AM
Minnow

I am fairly new to fishing in Canada, but have fished many saltwater destinations the last 20 years.

My son and I have attended the All Canada show in Chicago the last two years. I find it very helpful to meet the lodge owners face to face, discuss their fishery, etc. at the All Canada show. We booked our 2018 trip through a lodge and operator we met at the 2017 show, and two of our 2019 trips are booked with operators we met there in January 2018. I do research on the internet, but the show is an inexpensive way for me to follow up internet research with face to face dialogue.

I am going this year primarily to investigate options for my son and I in 2020, as well as to consider options for a couple other Canada trips with friends in 2020.

I hope the show succeeds long run.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

The approach outlined by ColdTuna is a very solid one! I believe it's wise for folks to do some homework on the internet in advance of the All Canada Show. This way, they can screen and prioritize fishing lodges to target during their visit to the All Canada Show.

I did exactly that during the years when my wife and I were searching for lodges to book a fishing trip. We spent time at the booths of the lodges of potential interest to chat with the lodge owners AND any guests of the lodge that were visiting the booth. I had my list of questions. My wife had a slightly different list of questions.

We found that there was a lot of pertinent information that could be learned in fifteen minutes of discussion that would have never surfaced browsing the internet alone. Some fishing lodges fell off the list whereas others climbed up the list.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 12-28-2018, 01:07 AM
Minnow

The information on websites lodges provide can certainly answer a lot of question.
I feel talking to the lodge owners and camp managers in person gives me a better insight on how the camp is run. With some owners I just felt we were not on the same page after talking to them, and passed on booking.

Asking some of the current and former guests question can also be very helpful.
Do spots get crowded?
How much of an effect have weather fronts had on their trips?
What hours of the day to they need to fish to catch walleyes?
If the only way to catch fish are small windows of time at sunrise and sunset then I am concerned about the overall quality of the lake.

The last couple of years the All Canada show in Green Bay seemed crowded with groups that were actively booking trips.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default see you in Milwaukee

Doc and I are heading to Milwaukee and planning on attending the show Thursday night and Friday for supper. If you see two old farts wondering where the bathroom is stop us and say hello.

Hooks
Old 01-02-2019, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHooksHimself View Post
Doc and I are heading to Milwaukee and planning on attending the show Thursday night and Friday for supper. If you see two old farts wondering where the bathroom is stop us and say hello.

Hooks
Howdy Jeff !!!

My suggestion would be to not worry about where the restrooms are. Just ask the salesperson if you and Doc can get inside a boat you love and see what kind of livewell space it has. Just don't cross the streams.....nothing good will happen if you cross the streams. It is Milwaukee.....they will understand if you have a beer in your hand

PjShorthorn
Old 01-02-2019, 10:44 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks Pat, we don't need restrooms, we will just cut off a bleach bottle. We will just need a place to dump it. thanks for the help!

Hooks
Old 01-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Minnow

Went Thursday night as I was up that way for work n it was nice n not too busy. Probably 70 outfitters there n the Franklin facility was clean n good to go. Going to go next week to St Charles Show w some old friends to try to narrow it down.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Used to enjoy the older All Canada shows, but the shrinking participation and reasons why sort of eventually became evident. I have a small collection of the year embossed spoons which they gave away, which I treasure. I was not impressed with the walleye dinners, the fish being obtained by netting, which were offered - offered to a completely wrong client base, in my humble opinion.

Bill