Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Another Route Question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-19-2018, 09:43 AM
Slot Fish

Default Another Route Question

Hello all, another which route to take question. We will be coming up from the Chciagoland area June 23rd-30th to Morson, ON. We normally take 39/90 up to 53, then 53 up to IF and cross there, but that is when we go to Kenora, or Red Lake. This year headed to Morson, I am wondering if taking Route 2, then to 72 and crossing at Baudette would be a better idea. We don't stay the night at the border and generally eat something quick before we cross, so restaurants and hotels won't be effecting our decision. With the possible back ups at IF, would it be more advantageous to cross at Baudette? Google maps has them less than 5 minutes difference and about 7 more miles to take the Baudette route. Interested to hear what y'all have to say. Thanks.

I should add that we would be leaving Chciagland around 2 am Saturday and that would put us at the border right around 1:30/ 2:00 pm on Saturday, which I know at IF can be a long wait at times

Last edited by ElectricSlide19; 05-19-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Keeper

Thumbs down

I also come from Chicago to Morson and have gone both ways, IF and Baudette. Initially I went through Baudette to save time at border crossing. But we tried IF once and since we crossed IF Friday morning we didnít have any wait. I think itís a toss up. You can drive faster going west in MN when near the border. I like the Baudette route scenery in MN better as it takes you through some lake areas.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:51 AM
Minnow

Sorry to hijack this thread with a related question, but I am heading to Sioux Lookout on saturday in mid-June from Madison, WI area and was planning to be at International Falls about 1-2 p.m. What kind of wait times will we see at that time?

Considered going through Thunder Bay which is an additional 45 minutes per Mapquest, but if that avoids a couple hour wait during border crossing in IF, Thunder Bay route makes more sense.

Thanks for any information/suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 11:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtuna View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread with a related question, but I am heading to Sioux Lookout on saturday in mid-June from Madison, WI area and was planning to be at International Falls about 1-2 p.m. What kind of wait times will we see at that time?

Considered going through Thunder Bay which is an additional 45 minutes per Mapquest, but if that avoids a couple hour wait during border crossing in IF, Thunder Bay route makes more sense.

Thanks for any information/suggestions.
I can't speak to the border crossing time at that time of day ...BUT...The trip up Superior's north shore is well worth the extra time if you have it. Stunning vistas.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Keeper

Default border wait

here is a link to border crossings into Canada:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html
Old 05-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

Default Another Route Question

There is no question crossing at Baudette is a better idea. No risk of extra traffic at border. Since it doesnít add significant time to your trip, this is the way to go. I have crossed at both IF and Baudette, probably several hundred times each and have never had to wait for more than five vehicles in front of me at Baudette.
I have had waits exceeding four hours multiple time at IF. Trust me, Baudette is way better.

Frank

Last edited by BreezyPoint; 05-19-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyPoint View Post
There is no question crossing at Baudette is a better idea. No risk of extra traffic at border. Since it doesnít add significant time to your trip, this is the way to go. I have crossed at both IF and Baudette, probably several hundred times each and have never had to wait for more than five vehicles in front of me at Baudette.
I have had waits exceeding four hours multiple time at IF. Trust me, Baudette is way better.

Frank
Weird, I have crossed a bunch of times at IF and never waited more than 15 mins. I typically cross between noon -2:00 pm
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n
Old 05-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Keeper

Default Baudette

Baudette is by far the best, plus you can stop at Alice's and get the best pancakes ever. And the breakfast burrito too.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Keeper

im not going to say its that much better but thats what we do. (Baudette or IF) its 20-30 minutes faster to morson going through IF. But we like the scenic route to Baudette we take 53 over the bridge jump on 35s to 2 to grand rapids than 46 to northhome to 71 south a mile to 1 to 72 to baudette. way faster than staying on 2 to 71 to 72.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:10 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The tank View Post
im not going to say its that much better but thats what we do. (Baudette or IF) its 20-30 minutes faster to morson going through IF. But we like the scenic route to Baudette we take 53 over the bridge jump on 35s to 2 to grand rapids than 46 to northhome to 71 south a mile to 1 to 72 to baudette. way faster than staying on 2 to 71 to 72.

The route to Morson is just as fast through Baudette as it is IF. Stay on 53 towards IF, cut over on 332 to 71 S. Take 71 S to Pelland and get on 11 which takes you right into Baudette. Itís maybe 12 miles longer, but no risk with border waits.

Frank