Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Verado Battery Recommendation - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-22-2020, 10:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mulder View Post
Looking to replace my 2017 Verado 200HP starting battery. The manual says use an AGM min 800cca with 135rc. Is everyone using AGM's? or will a coventional battery work just fine?
Not yet mentioned is the number one advantage of using an AGM: faster recharge. I don’t have a Verado but suggest that the AGM battery spec is intended to better assure the battery is fully charged and able to perform at peak level.

A wet cell battery, in contrast, has greater internal resistance which increases charge time and is more likely undercharged during boat operation.

If Mercury recommends an AGM then I would use an AGM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Just for clarification....I have a dedicatd starting battery + a house battery to run all electronics. I do have a battery isolator between the batteries allowing the verado to charge staring battery as needed and also top off house. My 4 bank charger is connected to the starting battery charging it first and then topping off the house battery(I believe?) allowing both to be charged when plugged in. I dont believe i could put an AGM in for starting and a conventional for house if the charger is doing both at one time. AGM needs a little different rate of charge.

Ultimately i would like to know how many of you have had good luck with conventional starting batteries that meet all requirements for CCA and specs for the motor. TIA
Dave,

I have an Interstate 27M-XHD lead acid starting battery in my boat. It has 800 CCA and a RC of 182 @25 amps. It starts my 115 Merc 4 stroke, a 9.9 Suzuki, it powers a Helix 10 & 8 and a livewell, plus other misc acc. I do have it connected to an onboard 3 bank charger, that also maintains 2 TM batteries, and is plugged in at the dock and garage. The battery has always performed well.

andersaki
Old 02-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Wallhanger

This would not help your budget. If you flooded cell house battery is also three to four years old. Flooded cells do not always last more then that anyways. Maybe you should replace both battery’s with agm size 27 or size 31s if they fit. You would not have a battery charger issue then. I agree with the other posters. If Mercury recommends agm for your outboard. Buy agms. In my opinion
Old 02-22-2020, 10:59 AM
Wallhanger

Normally battery chargers connect positive and negative wires to each battery. I would think that is what you would want even if you have a combiner. You might want to look into that. Maybe just putting a single bank charger on your starting battery. Have the house hooked up to your four bank.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking View Post
Normally battery chargers connect positive and negative wires to each battery. I would think that is what you would want even if you have a combiner. You might want to look into that. Maybe just putting a single bank charger on your starting battery. Have the house hooked up to your four bank.
This is exactly what I did with my 5 battery Verado configuration. That 5th charger bank was insurance that when I left the house in the morning, every battery was topped off. With the big $$$$ investment in a boat and motor, did not want to short change my self with marginal batteries or charging!

Marty
Old 02-22-2020, 05:36 PM
Slot Fish

Default Battery selection

Shortlisted the Batteries to Optima Bluetop 34m. One dedicated for starting and one house?....for the house battery should it be a optima d34m or D31M? Or will the 34m be fine? These are linked together thru the isolator...would it matter if one is different than the other? TIA

Last edited by Dave Mulder; 02-22-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Shortlisted the Batteries to Optima Bluetop 34m. One dedicated for starting and one house?....for the house battery should it be a optima d34m or D31M? Or will the 34m be fine? These are linked together thru the isolator...would it matter if one is different than the other? TIA
After I retired I delivered parts for an auto parts store. After seeing the customer "service" provided by Optima I would never consider putting them in anything, We sold mostly car batteries but did sell a few Marine Optimas. Trying to get Optima to back their warranty was like falling into a black hole. The store would eat the cost of a replacement battery when Optima wouldn't back them. It was strange because Johnson Controls seemed to stand behind all the other batteries they manufactured.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Wallhanger

If you look at the specs of optima blue tops compared to regular agm battery’s. I think you will be disappointed in the optima. Normally the size 34 battery’s are smaller power then size 31s. And maybe even most of the 27s. This website does have some specs listed for different battery’s. They have 10% off for buying online and picking up. I would guess you are not around any of them though.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc.../sli31dtmagmdc
Old 02-23-2020, 03:37 PM
Wallhanger

Why is it that Merc’s seem to need 5-6 batteries now.....at 60 to 65 lbs each this adds up real quick...... the Yammy’s, E-TEC and Honda owners never post about battery power like the Merc people do ? ? ?
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 02-23-2020, 03:56 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
Why is it that Merc’s seem to need 5-6 batteries now.....at 60 to 65 lbs each this adds up real quick...... the Yammy’s, E-TEC and Honda owners never post about battery power like the Merc people do ? ? ?
Who has 5-6 batteries for their main motor?