Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Pellet grils - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Wallhanger

Pellets aren't for me. Charcoal if I am going "hot and fast", reverse flow stick burner if I want to take longer (ie low and slow). I usually bbq 60+ lbs of meat at a time. Nothing wrong with them, just not my style. My understanding is ceramic grills (Primo, Green Egg etc) also have the set it and forgot it that many pelletheads like, but with the added bonus of being able to sear. bbq brethrens dot com is a great website for all thinks 'que.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 AM
Wallhanger

Anyone ever try regular hardwood heating pellets instead of the much pricier grilling pellets?
Old 04-21-2015, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigeton View Post
Anyone ever try regular hardwood heating pellets instead of the much pricier grilling pellets?
You won't want to do that. The binders that hold heating pellets together are paraffin and oils not safe for consumption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2015, 06:10 AM
Wallhanger

thanks
Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 AM
Keeper

I have had 2 Traeger grills. One is the original and 10+ years old and works great, we bought a newer one 4 years ago and it was made overseas and was a POS in my opinion and did not last. Just rebuilt the old one and have turned it into my fish smoker. I like to keep meat and fish separate.

We bought a Memphis grill this past summer and wow what a difference. High quality, insulated all around and all Stainless steel. It is made in Minnesota, Bloomington I believe and is well worth the extra cost. Like anything you get what you pay for but they are spendy. It cam smoke at 160 deg. and grill steaks at 650.00. there is a special grill plate with holes in it for searing steaks so the flame can come up and kiss the steaks and put a nice char on them. We really like the Memphis and would recommend them to anyone.

The Trager is good as well but the one we bought was foreign made and it showed. Not sure if it was that particular model or if all of them are now made overseas.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Keeper

Default Gmg

Picked up a green mountain grill. Steaks,chops,burgers and roasts never better. Wouldn't think of going back to a gas grill. No comparison, especially with steaks. Haven't done ribs yet. That's next.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCESI View Post
I have had 2 Traeger grills. One is the original and 10+ years old and works great, we bought a newer one 4 years ago and it was made overseas and was a POS in my opinion and did not last. Just rebuilt the old one and have turned it into my fish smoker. I like to keep meat and fish separate.

We bought a Memphis grill this past summer and wow what a difference. High quality, insulated all around and all Stainless steel. It is made in Minnesota, Bloomington I believe and is well worth the extra cost. Like anything you get what you pay for but they are spendy. It cam smoke at 160 deg. and grill steaks at 650.00. there is a special grill plate with holes in it for searing steaks so the flame can come up and kiss the steaks and put a nice char on them. We really like the Memphis and would recommend them to anyone.

The Trager is good as well but the one we bought was foreign made and it showed. Not sure if it was that particular model or if all of them are now made overseas.
MY buddy has a Memphis it's awesome, no doubt top of the line, cooks and smokes like a dream. The other pellets look like junk in comarison, you get what you pay for. I just got a smoker and a weber when I found out about his otherwise I may have ponied up.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Keeper

I have both a green mountain and a traeger. I personally like the green mountain better for these reasons. It does a better job of regulating temp, Will cook hotter for the steaks and the built in meat thermometer is a nice touch. I use them for everything, they make smoking meat a boring job since you never have to babysit them.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Minnow

One more vote for a Green Mountain. I have the Wifi version in which I can create food profiles. For instance If I was going to cook a pork butt for pulled pork I can set the grill to 225 until the butt gets to an internal temp of 145. Once that temp is reached the grill will increase its temperature to 275 until and internal temp of 175. When that temp is reached the grill will cool down to the warming temp of 150. Last time that was an 8 hour cook and once I put the meat in I didn't open the grill until I took the meat off to rest. It was amazing. Want the best steak you have ever eaten try a reverse sear rib-eye.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmd View Post
I have a Green Mountain grill and like it very much. It can be set at 5 degree increments from 150-525 degree and it holds it within 5 degrees of the set temperature, the wind does have an effect on temp control but that will be the case on all pellet grills i have seen. Therefore it can be used for virtually any need.
wmd
Been a Green Mountain guy for about five years. Great product! Temp adjusts in 5 degree increments from 150 to 500. I believe Traegur adjusts in 25 degree increments. GM customer support is outstanding. A seach of pellet grill receipts will open one to a whole new world of epicurious delights. A wide range of wood pellet flavors are available and Home Depot has a generic hickory pellet for about $10 a bag. If one loves cooking and BBQ this is a five star method.