Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Merc 90/115 ECU reflash - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-30-2019, 12:24 AM
Minnow

Got the ECU back from Simon. One day turn around.
Original prop was a 13 3/4X15.
Tried a 17P and the rpm went to 6300 with throttle to go.
19P Black Max WOT went to 5800. Bingo.
Speed increased 34 to 41GPS.
However, the last 300rpm gives me almost no increase in speed, and the Prop Slip app from MercRacing shows me 11% slippage. The ultimate answer maybe a stainless prop.
The cavitation plate is at the middle of the drain plug. I could drop the engine one more notch, but don't know if it would be worth the cost without trying a stainless prop first.
Deadrise on this boat is 12degrees, and the cavitation plate is at the middle of the drain plug. I could drop the engine to the last hole, but still wouldn't get below the keel.
Was it worth the cost. You bet. But would like to get the slippage down, but then is it worth the cost of a stainless prop for 2-3 mph. Will probably stay with what I have.
Would like to give kudos to Paradise Point Boat repair here in the Cal Delta. A big help in letting me use off the shelf props to try and ultimately buying one. The price to the new Black Max was the same as it would have been on Amazon. And no charge for his time. He will get my business from here on.
Great service.
Any questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 07:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB View Post
What did you notice for an increase in speed?
Yes, but since I raised motor a hole at same time, it's not cut and dry. So I have a 20' Lund pro guide. I was running a 19P Tempest @ 48mph/5800rpm. After flash that prop went to 48mph/6500rpm. I put my back-up 19P enertia on and it did the same thing. I bought a 19P Rev 4 and it does 52mph/6500rpm. I then bought a DHA 20P Rev4 but have not tried it out (Hard Water). I am hoping it will drop my RPM's to 6200, should get a bump in speed by 1 or 2 mph. I don't need the extra speed, I want hole shot/planning/and less rpm.

Edlacy
I had great luck with a spitfire on my last boat. They make it in Alum. and SS. Might want to give it a look.

Ches.

Last edited by Ches; 11-30-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:59 AM
Wallhanger

Edlacy, those are great numbers. I had to reread post as you weren't the OP, he asked about going from a 90 with a reflash. You went from a 75 to a 115 which is substantial. Just using mathematics that would be like adding 80 hp to my 150 and the 8mph increase would be exactly what I would expect jumping 80hp on my boat. Unfortunately i already contacted Simon and for my 150 i could only gain 20 hp.

I think anybody that has a motor that can be boosted 50%+ by a reflash would be silly not too. Would love for my next boat to have a 200 Verado so i could call up Simon and have it become a 320 overnight

Thanks edlacy for posting your numbers
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 10:10 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ches View Post
Yes, but since I raised motor a hole at same time, it's not cut and dry. So I have a 20' Lund pro guide. I was running a 19P Tempest @ 48mph/5800rpm. After flash that prop went to 48mph/6500rpm. I put my back-up 19P enertia on and it did the same thing. I bought a 19P Rev 4 and it does 52mph/6500rpm. I then bought a DHA 20P Rev4 but have not tried it out (Hard Water). I am hoping it will drop my RPM's to 6200, should get a bump in speed by 1 or 2 mph. I don't need the extra speed, I want hole shot/planning/and less rpm.

Edlacy
I had great luck with a spitfire on my last boat. They make it in Alum. and SS. Might want to give it a look.

Ches.
Thanks for the headsup on the Spitfire, will see if I can find one in my area.
Appreciate it.
Ed
Old 11-30-2019, 10:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlacy View Post
Got the ECU back from Simon. One day turn around.
Original prop was a 13 3/4X15.
Tried a 17P and the rpm went to 6300 with throttle to go.
19P Black Max WOT went to 5800. Bingo.
Speed increased 34 to 41GPS.
However, the last 300rpm gives me almost no increase in speed, and the Prop Slip app from MercRacing shows me 11% slippage. The ultimate answer maybe a stainless prop.
The cavitation plate is at the middle of the drain plug. I could drop the engine one more notch, but don't know if it would be worth the cost without trying a stainless prop first.
Deadrise on this boat is 12degrees, and the cavitation plate is at the middle of the drain plug. I could drop the engine to the last hole, but still wouldn't get below the keel.
Was it worth the cost. You bet. But would like to get the slippage down, but then is it worth the cost of a stainless prop for 2-3 mph. Will probably stay with what I have.
Would like to give kudos to Paradise Point Boat repair here in the Cal Delta. A big help in letting me use off the shelf props to try and ultimately buying one. The price to the new Black Max was the same as it would have been on Amazon. And no charge for his time. He will get my business from here on.
Great service.
Any questions?
You are giving up performance every rpm by not having a spitfire x7 stainless on your boat.
19 x7 would be my guess
BT terrova link