Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lowrance graph ? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 08-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

Good info by all,but as long as you see there are fish there, they don't need to be perfect. Close to level on regular sonar is all you need. Leveling helps for higher speeds though. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I am one to think that it is important to understand how your fish are marked on your screen to really figure out what's going on under the waves. For instance a flatter weak mark might indicate (again depending on your depth) the fish are off to either side of the boat, a nice arc generally means they are directly or close under the boat. Are they tight to the bottom or off 1 - 2 feet, to indicate if they are aggressive or not. Many times I would sit in 30 feet of water and understanding that the cone is about 10 feet wide at the bottom, watch fish swim in and out with the strongest marks being right under the transducer, we might just throw a jig out. Knowing what your transducer is showing you as in relationship to what you are marking is just another tool. Otherwise you are simply confirming the depth and if there are fish below you.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
That's OK........explaining it via typing it is not my biggest virtue.

By using a lower frequency you get a much wider cone angle, so not only do you see more fish but they also may look larger.

I have a choice of 200 or 83 kHz so when I'm perch fishing and hunting for a school I use the 83 kHz because the cone angle is 60 degrees compared to 20 degrees....so I am searching a area 3 time larger under my boat using the 83 kHz frequency......and I'm usually in 45' to 72' of water.....thus I'm covering a huge area that way. The large perch in Erie show up as a RED cluster on or near the bottom and I can easily distinguish them on my graph.
The wider the cone, the more time you have to drop the lure where they're not yet under the boat. I can see the lure dropping beneath the boat too and see where it's at before it leaves ... or if fishing in shallower 30-40 foot waters exactly where the diver is at the whole time.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

Yes i like that wider cone too, since i added a sonar hub to my setup i can now chirp which most graphs can do nowadays. I find in water greater than 20ft my 85-145 hz band really shines. I'm currently running a blue connector hdi transducer for 2d sonar, think they outperform the hst-wsbl- thats for us lowrance guys.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 AM
Minnow

When in doubt hit the reset presets button. Start over.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:36 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Winds View Post
No I’m right......

When a fish enters the edge of the cone it’s actually a little farther from the transducer then directly below the transducer. Thus it shows the the bottom part of the hook n then as the fish passes right under the transducer it’s just a little bit closer so the top or hump of the fish is marked and the the fish once again passes at the far edge of the cone angle so it once again marks the low edge of the hook or better yet ark the we all consider a fish mark. In deeper water all fish look bigger because the are in the cone angle much longer...then of course if you turn up the scrolling speed you can make the fish grow.
Bingo!! The same happens when sitting still and watching a fish come into investigate a bait in deep water. The wider cone coverage at the same angle in deeper water can make it look like a fish is rising to your bait rather than simply swimming into the centre of the cone and coming "closer" to the transducer based on the Pythagorean theory. Of course they can be rising to take a bait but that looks different (tends to be a sharper rise and then levels off as the fish settles on a depth) than a gentle arching curve.
Xi5 24V with Pinpoint
HDS9 Gen3
HDS7 Gen3