Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Switch Rods? Hard to reel fish in... ABU Garcia 5500LC reel - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 12:42 PM
Minnow

Default Switch Rods? Hard to reel fish in... ABU Garcia 5500LC reel

Im currently trolling using an ABU Garcia 5500LC reel, Bass Pro Shops Power Plus Trophy Class Casting Rod (7' Med Heavy) with 10lb mono. When we hook up, even small to average sized fish (2-4lbs) are hard to reel in. I'm in the market for new rods and would like suggestions to pair with the Abu 5500LC's. I very rarely use planer boards or in-line weights over 2oz. Could the rods be my problem or could it be something else? Are certain rods better to use when trolling crankbaits without additional weights or planer boards?

Thanks

Last edited by gjjmouser26; 01-23-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 03:48 PM
Wallhanger

Please explain how is it hard to reel in? Does the line catch on the guides- which could mean the guides are worn that cause friction. Or is it actually the reels that are causing the difficulty. I know ABU 5500 are good reels. Borrow a friends trolling rod and put your reel on that and see what you get.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Wallhanger

Almost all of my trolling reels are Abu Garcia 5500Cs and I never have a problem bringing fish in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

What line are you using on your reel?

Some lines may have issues with certain guides and or some lines may have a tendency to dig in and cause issues.

You said 10 lb line.

Take a high powered magnifier under strong light and look at every guide and rod tiptop for signs of damage.

Also, take Q tip and run it around each guide and tip top to see if the Q tip catches on anything. Perhaps there is a damaged guide or tip that is catching the line.

Now, if you just pull about 50 feet off the reel and have someone with cotton gloves on hold the line tightly and then you reel the line back in - pointing straight at the person holding the rod so that the line does not touch any of the guides. See if this is any sort of problem.

If it is a problem, give your reel a good disassembly, cleaning and relubricating.
If you spin your reel handle with the line pulled all of the way into the reel and no line going through the rod guides, the reel should spin smoothly for a while - indicating that there is no catching internally, or any drag any where that is causing an issue.

But, if you find that your reel stops as soon as you let go of the handle, then, remove the reel, disassemble it and give it a good clean and relube.

Also, if you think that there is even a remote possibility that the line is the issue, strip the reel of all of the line and then, give the spool of the reel a good cleaning with soap and water and a tooth brush. Maybe there is "Gunk" on the spool that is causing an issue.

Best wishes.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:21 AM
Wallhanger

I agree with REW, check the guides on your rods. Then again a good cleaning and lube now and then does not hurt. I have many of the Ambassaduer 5000,5500 and 5600 reels keep them clean and lubed and they will last almost forever. I have one 5500C that my father in law gave me back in the 80's, kept it clean and lubed, then started having issues like yours. come to find out that years of throwing heaving lures and trolling with heavy weights caused spool shaft to get a bend in it. Replaced the spool and bearings and it works as good as new. Take all the line off your reel and operate the reel, look at the spool very closely at both sides.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

A few years ago one of my casting reels became difficult to wind in. Turned out the worm gear that drives the line guide was badly worn.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Minnow

Default gjjmouser26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkeyes View Post
Please explain how is it hard to reel in? Does the line catch on the guides- which could mean the guides are worn that cause friction. Or is it actually the reels that are causing the difficulty. I know ABU 5500 are good reels. Borrow a friends trolling rod and put your reel on that and see what you get.
Hard to reel = strong wobble on the reel when reeling in fish. It feels like there is a ton of weight/pressure on the handle hand. My 10 year old struggles to reel fish in on them. The reels are very smooth and the line does not seem to struggle through the guides at all. It just feels like the rod is working against us if that makes sense. The line we are using is 10lb Trilene xt. I honestly do not believe the reels to be the issue. It just feels out of balance, if that is a thing. All my reels have the double paddle handles, but I just swapped one of them to the abu garcia power handle to see if it helps much.

Last edited by gjjmouser26; 01-24-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjmouser26 View Post
Hard to reel = strong wobble on the reel when reeling in fish. It feels like there is a ton of weight/pressure on the handle hand. My 10 year old struggles to reel fish in on them. The reels are very smooth and the line does not seem to struggle through the guides at all. It just feels like the rod is working against us if that makes sense. The line we are using is 10lb Trilene xt. I honestly do not believe the reels to be the issue. All my reels have the double paddle handles, but I just swapped one of them to the abu garcia power handle to see if it helps much.
If the reel seems to be wobbling, try tightening down the twist lock. You may have to use some pliers to tighten the twist lock. I have a Bass Pro rod, and the reel would wobble. It seemed tight by hand, but I put some pliers to them and they turned couple more times, and the reel finally was seated tightly no more wobble.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

Own a 1980s 6500 C and (heh ) bent the spool ends by flying a kite on a mile of 20# test mono.
(Yep, you can tie on extra mono.)

Replaced the spool and it has worked fine ever since.

Tags
abu garcia 5500lc , hard to reel , rod , trolling , walleye