Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Motor Height - 300HP V8 Verado - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 05-01-2020, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Default Motor Height - 300HP V8 Verado

I’m finally trying to dial in the new rig and I’m struggling a bit. Triton screwed up and hung a 1.85:1 geared 300HP V8 Verado off my Triton 216FH when they were supposed to use a 1.75:1 motor. I had to pick and choose my battles, and there were many, so I opted to simply change the pitch of my Bravo FS prop from a 22p to 24p.

On my initial runs I was either cavitating or the rev limiter was kicking in right around 6,000 rpms, and I was only getting mid 50’s as a top speed. I had to lower the motor quite a bit, to around 2” above the transom (using the gauge on the Atlas jackplate) to mostly eliminate the issue, but I’m still only getting about 57moh top end and it will still occasionally cavitate and/or bump the rev limiter at max WOT.

I’m coming off a ProXS and obviously the Verado is a very different motor, but I opted for the non-supercharged V8, which is marketed as having “instant acceleration”. Unfortunately, that is not the case, at least not with my motor as currently setup. It accelerates rather gradually compared to the ProXS. Definitely no sensation of getting pushed back in your seat.

This is my first Verado, so perhaps break in will improve it and I need to tweak engine height and maybe go with a bigger prop, but I really thought a 24p Bravo FS would work. I’ve also heard there is no hard and fast rev limiter on the Verados, and that it’s computer controlled and varies based on conditions, which only confuses me further on how to approach tweaking the setup.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2020, 10:19 AM
Keeper

How many hours on the motor?

How's the hole shot? What are you running for plugs?
Old 05-01-2020, 10:24 AM
Wallhanger

Brand new motor. Hole shot is fine. Factory plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2020, 01:44 PM
Slot Fish

You're 50-100 hp shy to get to where you want to be. Should have gone with 350 SC Verado to make it run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

Maybe, but the max hull rating on this rig is 350HP, not 400HP. So yes I am 50 shy of maxing out the hull rating but I preferred various aspects of the new V8 over the old in line 6.

Let me rephrase the questions:

1. How high are you guys running your Verado’s? I would be particularly interested to hear from those using Atlas jack plates so the measuring sticks are equal. For anyone replying please let me know if you have the old supercharged in line 6 or the new naturally aspirated V8.

2. For those with the new naturally aspirated V8’s, have you hit the rev limiter and if so where was that at?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Slot Fish

Running a 2014 Yar-Craft 219TFX with a 2014 350 SCi Verado SC. 6800 rpm limit. With right water cond. I'm running 6400- 6750 rpm at 63-66 mph with a tuned 22p Bravo1 FS and 6" Atlas jack plate. Full fuel, 2 people, loaded up I'm at the lower end of mph/ rpm range. I should have stuck with tuned 21p Bravo1 FS, was bumping the rev limiter at 6900 with stock 21p, should have just went with tuning it and left pitch at 21. Would have dropped my rpm about 150.. If your hitting the rev limiter but only running 57, you may pick up 1-1.5 mph with prop cupping and engine height but I'd guess that's all youd see with an NA 300. Maybe you'll hear from someone with the same setup, a 21.5' boat will take a well set up 350 to get you up into the mid to upper 60's. Some of the engines pull harder than others for sure.

Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks. Assuming your Atlas jackplate has a scale visible from within the boat like their current models do, what height are you running the motor at?
Old 05-01-2020, 07:18 PM
Slot Fish

The Atlas jp gauge numbers don't correlate with inches in height, just a reference, but there is a sticker on the plate itself, I'll run as high as 2" up before mph starts dropping off. The more tip cup, the higher you'll be able to jack it up as a rule.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

RPR,
You should have 0 need to ask anyone how high they have their motor.

It makes 0 difference what other folks are running their motor.

Take off with the motor full down and trimmed full in. As the boat speed comes up, trim the motor out and also lift the motor. When you get to the point where the prop begins to cavitate, tweak the motor trim setting and the motor height setting until you get to the point where you are running as fast as possible with the least amount of cavitation.

You also jumped to a 24 pitch prop. How about dropping to a prop that is back to 22 pitch. The 22 pitch prop will likely give you the head snapping acceleration that you are looking for. You should also be able to get to the expected 6800 rpm.

If you try to over rev, the motor rev limiter will slow the motor.

Best wishes.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:15 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
RPR,
You should have 0 need to ask anyone how high they have their motor.

It makes 0 difference what other folks are running their motor.

Take off with the motor full down and trimmed full in. As the boat speed comes up, trim the motor out and also lift the motor. When you get to the point where the prop begins to cavitate, tweak the motor trim setting and the motor height setting until you get to the point where you are running as fast as possible with the least amount of cavitation.

You also jumped to a 24 pitch prop. How about dropping to a prop that is back to 22 pitch. The 22 pitch prop will likely give you the head snapping acceleration that you are looking for. You should also be able to get to the expected 6800 rpm.

If you try to over rev, the motor rev limiter will slow the motor.

Best wishes.

V8 has peak rpm at 6200. If he’s currently hitting the rev limiter now I’d go with a 25p. To original poster what height is cav plate above bottom of hull? Set cav plate parallel to hull bottom and measure the height. I have a 4” setback jackplate and the sweet spot on mine is 4.5” above.