Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tips for rinsing of Crank after Pike - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-02-2020, 05:26 AM
Keeper

Default Tips for rinsing of Crank after Pike

Hey guys I was just thinking about this idea and seeing if anyone else does anything about pike slime and smell on their crankbaits before putting back out. After you land a pike tge cranks smells like pike which is a predator fish and slices up the lure so was thinking have a small bucket with diluted solution in it that you can grab the bill of crank then swish around in the liquid to neutralize the smell before putting scent on or just putting back out. Maybe diluted Anise oil or WD40 as a quick mask.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2020, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northshoremb View Post
Hey guys I was just thinking about this idea and seeing if anyone else does anything about pike slime and smell on their crankbaits before putting back out. After you land a pike tge cranks smells like pike which is a predator fish and slices up the lure so was thinking have a small bucket with diluted solution in it that you can grab the bill of crank then swish around in the liquid to neutralize the smell before putting scent on or just putting back out. Maybe diluted Anise oil or WD40 as a quick mask.

Have you documented a lower catch ratio from "untreated" lures which have previously caught a Pike? How about having "Walleye" smell on your lure? Could not the same thing be said about Walleys being a predator fish? How about a Crappie? I've caught many a Crappie while trolling for Walleye. By definition, a Crappie is a predator as well.

Again, if you are trolling 4 crankbaits and one catches a Pike, do you notice that only the other three cranks are effective after this happens?
Old 08-02-2020, 07:00 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindave View Post
Have you documented a lower catch ratio from "untreated" lures which have previously caught a Pike? How about having "Walleye" smell on your lure? Could not the same thing be said about Walleys being a predator fish? How about a Crappie? I've caught many a Crappie while trolling for Walleye. By definition, a Crappie is a predator as well.

Again, if you are trolling 4 crankbaits and one catches a Pike, do you notice that only the other three cranks are effective after this happens?
Yes we have had that happen a bunch. Could have a hot crank out and once we get a pike seems no wlaleye bite till we remove scent of pike on that lure. Also think depends on speed which usually pulling cranks at 1.2-1.8mph so they have more time to smell. Every bit helps when you are in a tourney and dont wanna lose possible fish

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Sorta along the same line - Sometimes when crappie fishing, I will rub my hand which handled a just caught fish onto my bucktail jig. I think it helps remove my scent from the bait. Usually do this more in the fall and cooler water temp.

Bill
Old 08-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

The guys that fish with herring strips on crankbaits use lemon Joy non ultra dishwashing soap. Has to be the non ultra. I think the ultra has some bleach type product in it. Can mess up the finish. Plus might have a different smell.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once in awhile I will clean me walleye crankbaits with the joy. Just to make sure I did not get any sunscreen or other smells on the crankbaits.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Whatever we think works is what we should do for our own confidence. I do think the slower presentations are more likely to involve smell and taste than the faster reaction type presentations. JMHO Bob
Old 08-03-2020, 05:31 AM
Wallhanger

I would think that a walleye would eat a small pike and if I’m correct, one would only be wasting their time rinsing. I’ve never noticed a difference at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Keeper

I have caught pike, then walleye back to back on the same crank an uncountable amount of times. But I do always remember to rub the slime directly into my beard!
Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey88 View Post
I have caught pike, then walleye back to back on the same crank an uncountable amount of times. But I do always remember to rub the slime directly into my beard!
Well on a hot bite when pressure changes they will take anything but on a tough bite the smell can make a huge difference

Old 08-10-2020, 07:08 PM
Wallhanger

I always thought when the pike moved in I should move to another spot for walleyes. All I had to do was to clean the lure. Darn!