Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Detroit River Question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-12-2021, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
The river has been slow so far, no real big push yet. Lots of boats out with the early ice so we'd have heard if monsters were being caught. Winds have been tough. I was out Monday with wind out of the south and there weren't many places to hide. We got four but nothing giant and it sounded like we did as good as most. Water was 45 degrees. Next couple of weeks should have plenty of fish in the 5-8# class and plenty of fishermen on the water.
Naw, those big girls are looonnnnngggg gone. Came and went as usual in March when few people are out and most of the launches are still closed. For over 30 years of living there and fishing and following the spring run, along with working at the ramps, seeing what was brought in when, this year looks to be holding true to that pattern like almost every year. You can be guaranteed that barring a really really late thaw, those wave of the big girls came and went. Almost all the 10#+ wave fish come early. The biggest, like those rare 12#+, come through even earlier when there is ice still flowing. Sure, you can get some stragglers after that, but the big wave and push is long gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2021, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Based on the H2H tournament results, and local reports, YEP, those big girls were looonnnnggggg gone, and came through when nobody was really fishing in March, per usual.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:23 AM
Wallhanger

If you read the reports on MSF there were quite a few fishing from St Patrick's on and not getting the bigguns. Not getting limits either but that was brushed off because it was early. But the easy limits still haven't come and people are starting to worry. Could be just a really weird year with very clear water and no access to the other side or... could be that the huge hatch of 2015 didn't happen in the D. I don't know if they can tell where the YOY come from with much accuracy.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:30 AM
Wallhanger

We were on the river last week and never got a limit but averaged about 4 or 5 a day for my wife & I. Usually people are using the excuse that the waters too dirty. This year it's because the rivers too clear.
ps this post is a test because my account was screwed up and I couldn't post yesterday.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

With the clear water I’d lean hard towards casting and working jigs away from the boat. Just got to find a 15’ or less run with not too many people in it.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
If you read the reports on MSF there were quite a few fishing from St Patrick's on and not getting the bigguns. Not getting limits either but that was brushed off because it was early. But the easy limits still haven't come and people are starting to worry. Could be just a really weird year with very clear water and no access to the other side or... could be that the huge hatch of 2015 didn't happen in the D. I don't know if they can tell where the YOY come from with much accuracy.
Hatch results from 2015 in the River shouldn't matter much at all. Remember, there are very few resident fish in the River in the big picture. And very little spawning goes on in the River in the big picture also. For the most part, the River just serves as a highway for the spawn, with walleye traveling to/from Erie and to the north to spawn in those areas.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:27 PM
Minnow

Was out last Monday . Charter with two other guys . One retired school teacher , did more talking then fishing . First time in the river wanted to get a feel for it before I bring my boat up . Have a 3 hr run.Only got three takers. Largest about 3.5 lbs. Said water was too clear .Was great to be out .All soft bates tipped with minnow. One came on a Red /Green/blue minnow the other came on a wyondotte blackw/green tip. Trying to get two more booking before I bring up my boat. Had a young Captain tried hard to put us on fish!
Old 04-28-2021, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

Been on the DR at least once a week since March. An unusual years to save the least. Started to heat up and a cold snap shut things down. Need a warm rain and it will be game on. Monday was last time out and only got 3 but all three took whole jig in mouth. Clear water is definitely a challenge with only a few colors seeming to produce. Full moon has to make them go. One thing I have noticed was large schools of baitfish along the walls which allows them to fill up. Hint in picture for you all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210426_123604_1619648925666.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	326006   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210426_123609_1619648944263.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	326008  
Old 04-29-2021, 07:34 AM
Wallhanger

I’m scheduled for tomorrow. Rain and warming water look great! Winds at 25-30 might ruin everything.