Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Whatís your interest (or not) in the big girls? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-07-2021, 08:08 PM
Keeper

Personally I'm not a size queen. I just love catching fish. It really doesn't matter. I prefer to fish for walleyes but any fish will do. Even eelpout. What a cool fish.
Also get a kick when I put my buddies on fish, anyone can catch them, not everybody can find them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2021, 04:12 PM
Keeper

the big girls are for taking a picture and let them go, for the most part i release most of my fish anyhow just like catching them

I fish a few inland lake and very rarely keep a walleye
Old 04-09-2021, 07:43 AM
Minnow

For me it's more about the hunt ,catching a limit! of eaters . It's not the size

it's the fun of it ,and better yet if you bring a person that never did much fishing but wanted to learn. For cleaning them ,I love perch and when I have 100 plus, I just focus on them coming out of the fry pan with a big plate of coleslaw.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

I no longer have an interest in the big girls. They are just too darned big for the frying pan.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:53 PM
Keeper

Any fish are fine for catching. For eating , 15-19 walleye or legal northern are fine.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:33 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
I'll start off by saying that I enjoy walleye fishing in general. Any time I'm fishing for walleyes, I'm happy, regardless the size we are catching or targeting.

But I must admit, I have a particular affinity for the big girls. It's tough to explain, but for me, having a big on my line is just a completely different feeling than catching those 1-2 pounders. Especially once you see it boatside and get a taste of what that 30" of gold looks like 8 feet below the surface. I see that massive flash of gold and instantly get really nervous - hands start to sweat, legs/knees/hands get a bit shakey, etc. Which is weird to say, because I don't really get nervous when I have a giant pike, trout, or bass on.

I think another reason I target big walleyes is because it is more challenging than just going out and filling a limit. I am confident that I can limit out whenever I like (it really isn't difficult here in Canada lol). However, going out and consistently catching a big fish or 2 every time you're out is a much more daunting task. It has a lot to do with the skill and knowledge it takes to continually catch bigs. Not everyone can just go out and do it consistently.

RJR
X2 on this.

Itís the challenge of targeting them thatís the real key for me, but the excitement/stress when you get one hooked up, especially in a tournament, thereís not much else that gives me an adrenaline rush like that.

Waxy
Old 04-10-2021, 03:54 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
X2 on this.

Itís the challenge of targeting them thatís the real key for me, but the excitement/stress when you get one hooked up, especially in a tournament, thereís not much else that gives me an adrenaline rush like that.

Waxy
I have yet to fish with ANYONE who catches a big Walleye ( a big member of any species for me) and wishes it were smaller....yes, I do like to keep a few 14" to 18" walleye, but targeting and catching big Walleye is an awesome challenge...from childhood and on, one of the great mysteries while Bobber fishing, was and is, when that bobber goes down.....how big it is and what it is.......I have always thought that it's kinda human nature to want to catch something bigger than you have before or top your golf or bowling score or whatever, sure I have fun bowling, but I'm trying to beat my top score when I do go......and by the way, I enjoy it regardless of the results!
Old 04-17-2021, 09:09 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty59 View Post
I never understood is the Fascination every spring with the ďbig girlsĒ

Marty
For me, I like a girl with some meat on her bones!!
Old 04-17-2021, 03:32 PM
Keeper

Just love to catch big girls and get a pic. and to watch them swim away
Old 04-17-2021, 05:44 PM
Minnow

Yes ,an a third don't make it !The larger ones don't handle the stress as well as smaller ones. Take a look at some of the photos . I get a kick out of how some are held out,they wish the had longer arms to make them look bigger,. their fingers are as big as their head.The more they tell the story the bigger the fish was .To me their missing the whole point of the sport.But just this old man op!