Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Motorguide Xi series update - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-13-2021, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Motorguide Xi series update

Anybody else get an email from Motorguide about an update for Xi series trolling motors? If you have the Gateway kit and a Lowrance/Simrad MFD there is an update available. I haven't checked it out yet as it would require me to get my boat within wireless distance to the house. I'm heading to VA on Sunday for a week of crappie fishing, so I hesitate doing any updates till I know there are no bugs.
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2021, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Anybody else get an email from Motorguide about an update for Xi series trolling motors? If you have the Gateway kit and a Lowrance/Simrad MFD there is an update available. I haven't checked it out yet as it would require me to get my boat within wireless distance to the house. I'm heading to VA on Sunday for a week of crappie fishing, so I hesitate doing any updates till I know there are no bugs.
^^^My exact feeling, too. ^^^

I've been stung by updates several times on various electronic laden equipment from fishin' electronics to farm electronics.

Being a little bit behind the bleeding edge isn't a bad place to be if you are a user and not an enthusiast. Let the smart or savvy guys go first and see what shakes out.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 04-13-2021, 07:16 AM
Wallhanger

I got the same email, but I'm a month away from open water and the ability to install it.

I'm hoping that by then there'll be a lot more info and some guys with first hand experience with the update to report.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2021, 08:55 AM
Wallhanger

I did not receive an email as of yet. Will it pop up on my Lowrance display showing that an update for my Xi5 is available?

I am hoping that it won't auto update, as my units are off, but I have them all within wireless range of my house.

I am planning a nasty weather trip this weekend, with significant wind, cold temps, at night in dangerous areas. I don't need my TM going crazy if it auto updates....

I am pretty sure you have to manually accept a software update anyway.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite 7Ti2
Pulled by 2020 Chevy Trail Boss
Old 04-13-2021, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker525 View Post
I did not receive an email as of yet. Will it pop up on my Lowrance display showing that an update for my Xi5 is available?

I am hoping that it won't auto update, as my units are off, but I have them all within wireless range of my house.

I am planning a nasty weather trip this weekend, with significant wind, cold temps, at night in dangerous areas. I don't need my TM going crazy if it auto updates....

I am pretty sure you have to manually accept a software update anyway.
Email states you have to input your model and serial number of your trolling motor, have nmea network powered up, plus I imagine you need to deploy the motor to power it it. It a Motorguide update also, so I don't think Lowrance is going to do an auto update.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:55 PM
Keeper

I got that same email. Plan to look into this weekend.

So, how does the update happen? The magic dwarf appears and ... ?
Old 04-16-2021, 08:45 PM
Slot Fish

I installed the update if you folk have any questions. I have not wet tested the Xi5 yet, but so far so good. Update and survey monkey for eligibility is on motorguides website.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswan View Post
I installed the update if you folk have any questions. I have not wet tested the Xi5 yet, but so far so good. Update and survey monkey for eligibility is on motorguides website.
How does the update get done?
Old 04-18-2021, 07:30 PM
Slot Fish

https://www.motorguide.com/us/en/service.html

Here is the link. Take the survey monkey and see if your motor is a candidate. Download the update on to microSD card 32gb or less. Print out the instructions for install. Power up the trolling motor. Power up the lowrance. Follow the instructions. They are mostly correct. Just wasn't for an Elite Ti is what I have.

Worth noting that even thought my serial number was out of the recommended range from the online instructions the survey money said to update my motor. I called motorguide and talked to a rep who said do the update after I gave him my serial number. I did have the issue a few times listed. "autopilot not available."