Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Protecting expensive rods? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Wallhanger

Ditto on the Rod Socks and rarely leave the boat during the season, but bring them all in during the winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 06:58 PM
Wallhanger

Wife makes my rod socks for me, for I would estimate .20 cents ea, at the most. Tried the commercial ones, and didn't like them. She makes them sized for ea rod, and we use the black landscape material that comes in rolls, that you use under wood chips and such. We get ours at Menards, and it makes a fantastic rod sock for pennies. I just cut the material at a slight taper to fit, and she sews the bottom and side together. Takes her about two minutes per sock.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyed View Post
Wife makes my rod socks for me, for I would estimate .20 cents ea, at the most. Tried the commercial ones, and didn't like them. She makes them sized for ea rod, and we use the black landscape material that comes in rolls, that you use under wood chips and such. We get ours at Menards, and it makes a fantastic rod sock for pennies. I just cut the material at a slight taper to fit, and she sews the bottom and side together. Takes her about two minutes per sock.
Sounds like the price of materials is fantastic. Yet I wonder about the true price of the labor involved.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:13 AM
Wallhanger

https://outkasttackle.com/slix-rod-cover/
Old 07-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

I’m curious. Why do some of you bring rods in the house over winter? Does the freezing temperatures harm them? I have never done this and have never had issues. Am I just lucky???
Old 07-22-2019, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

my boat and stuff is all in a mildly temperature controlled garage (therm set to 45 all winter unless i'm working in there) i take all my rods out after every trip and hang them up as my children occasionally love to get in the boat and play pirates or some other thing.