Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Possible Compter Security Issue - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Complaint Department > Walleye Central Complaints, Kudos, Suggestions Etc...

Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Wallhanger

Default Possible Compter Security Issue

Greetings,

Over the last month I have several times received popups when I log into Walleye Central that says my Windows System is infected. I have not clicked on any links, and Norton scans reveal only a few cookies that look unrelated. I have attached a screenshot taken with snipping tool to show you the full message. I have only gotten these popups when accessing Walleye Central, no other internet sites. Any thoughts on whether Walleye Central has a security issue or what to do to avoid this happening?

System Warning Message:
Your Windows System is Infected
Warning: If you do not update your Windows system scanner, important system files on your computer are going to be automatically deleted in 250 seconds.
Required Immediately: Click on the "Download button below to install the Windows scanner update for your computer.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this matter.
Kindest Regards....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	306930  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Administrator

To be sure this is not something on your end have you run a malware scan? If you dont have malware bytes on your machine already its worth installing and its free.
-Philip
Old 01-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings Philip,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have had three instances of the pop-ups that were referenced in my earlier post on this thread. I was using Walleye Central each time that I received the pop-up. I have not had an instance of this at any other time.

Each time that I encountered the malware, my wife ran a Norton product on my laptop to remove malware. Each time, Norton found cookies that were unrelated to Walleye Central.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. I am not aware of other followers of Walleye Central encountering this phenomenon - but there may be.

Kindest regards...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 09:50 PM
Wallhanger

Well the message is true - you've been infected with "malvertising". And clicking on it could lead to much worse. Since it is not a "virus", Norton likely won't clean it up. The easiest to try is to go into your browser settings and delete all cache contents, all cookies, and all history. Yes, this will probably make it forget your auto save usernames and passwords for web sites.

If that doesn't work, do as the modadmin advised, and download/run malware bytes. Better yet, pay for the premium version and use it continuously in addition to your antivirus program.

And while it may now be associated with Walleye Central on your computer, it is VERY unlikely it came from WC.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:11 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

Many sincere thanks for the suggestions. My wife will check into the malware bytes on my behalf. She is quite savvy when it comes to things like computers. On the other hand, one of my priority bucket list items is to outlive the internet.

Kindest regards.....
Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,
On the other hand, one of my priority bucket list items is to outlive the internet.
That's a lofty goal. Go for it!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFish View Post
Greetings,

Many sincere thanks for the suggestions. My wife will check into the malware bytes on my behalf. She is quite savvy when it comes to things like computers. On the other hand, one of my priority bucket list items is to outlive the internet.

Kindest regards.....
While your wife looks into Malwarebytes, she should check whether your antivirus program will co-exist with Malwarebytes. The Trend Micro antivirus I run conflicts with Malwarebytes and may not be the only antivirus software that does so.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Administrator

@BornToFish next time you get this pop up can you try right-clicking on it and grabbing its URL. Once we get that, we can send it to our techs to get blocked.

Niall
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

Hopefully I won't get the pop-up again, but if I do I will be delighted to right click and get the URL! My wife is presently checking into the Malwarebytes for me.

Many thanks for following up on this for all of us!

Kindest regards.....