Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul Outposts - 9/9 - 9/17 report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Keeper

Default Lac Seul Outposts - 9/9 - 9/17 report

First time fishing the NE section of Lac Seul in search of great walleye fishing and the elusive muskie. We boated 103 walleye in my boat all week, 35 pike and 4 muskie.

Walleye were biting on minnows, crawlers, leeches and plastics. We caught them jigging, trolling harnesses and even with big cranks trolling for muskie. I was a bit unhappy with the walleye count, but we were able to find them on most rocky points or wind-blown areas, mostly in 25-40FOW. Biggest walleyes were 27.5 and 26, and we all came home with limits and ate plenty of fish during our trip. I'm certain if we weren't casting for muskie for half our trip, we'd have really tuned in on the walleye and hammered them. If we didn't see fish on our electronics, we didn't fish there. We went all the way from Three Sister to Wasepi Bay, and anywhere in between. No doubt if we had fished just within 2 miles of camp, we'd catch all the fish we wanted. No need to travel far, I think we did, just to check out different spots. Lots of unnecessary miles IMO.

Pike were found in weedy bays and we found plenty of them throwing for muskie. 36" was the biggest, plenty in the lower 30's and lots of hammer-handles.

Muskie (50, 44, 42, 37.5) were all found in weedy bays near deeper water. 50 was on a green tinsel bucktail, 44 was on cannonball junior (white), 42 was on a pike painted crank, 37.5 was on green tinsel bucktail. Heavy action on Wed/Thur with Friday being incredibly tough. We moved a lot of fish earlier in the week, and feel if we targeted muskie all week, we probably could have doubled our number. Several other 50"+ muskie were caught in camp that week, with one couple reportedly netting a 60" - but could not share pics.

Regarding Lac Seul Outposts. Highly recommend this lodge. They are literally in the middle of prime-time fishing, with another 'fly in' lodge only a mile away, and about 1-2 miles from many houseboats. The facilities are PRIME with full electricity, hot/cold water, high-pressure showers with ice delivery and garbage pickup daily - right at your cabin. They offer grocery/booze delivery, right in your cabin, at no additional cost (we'll do that next time so we don't have to cart everything up from WI). Service was impeccable, all gear/luggage delivered to/from cabin and the transport boats were great. The fish houses were great, clean, with full electricity, hoses, tall cleaning tables - and they took care of the guts. Great sandy beaches, power at the docks and you can bring your own gas if you want.

If you're looking to get to this side of the lake, I highly recommend Lac Seul Outposts. Their hospitality and facilities are the best we've seen.

ETA: Lots of unmarked rock piles and dangerous spots - you have to really be careful up in this area as it could a disaster if you get into trouble with your boat. It's a 35ish mile ride, by boat, to the camp - thanks to LSO for providing transport boats to/from so we could map our way in and out.

Last edited by wooglin; 08-19-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Wallhanger

Great fishing report and good job on the time travel....lol, i will assume you went in August sounds like you did pretty well. Thanks for posting, Lac Seul is on my bucket list.
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
2 Simrad NSS12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 36" Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 08-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Keeper

Yep, whoops! August, not Sept!! HAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Great fishing report and good job on the time travel....lol, i will assume you went in August sounds like you did pretty well. Thanks for posting, Lac Seul is on my bucket list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
You won't be disappointed Itrain. I've been going there two or three times a year for 27 years now. 100 fish days are the norm on Lac Seul. That is if you're fishing walleyes. Lots of nice pike too.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:45 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglin View Post
If you're looking to get to this side of the lake, I highly recommend Lac Seul Outposts. Their hospitality and facilities are the best we've seen.
I'd be interested to see what their camp is like these days. We went to Lac Seul Outposts a number of years ago and went back a few times before switching lakes for a couple years and now we ended up on the Northwest part of Lac Seul for the last 5-6 years I think.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:53 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingMN4eyes View Post
Quote:
I'd be interested to see what their camp is like these days. We went to Lac Seul Outposts a number of years ago and went back a few times before switching lakes for a couple years and now we ended up on the Northwest part of Lac Seul for the last 5-6 years I think.
What part of nw lac seul do you fish the most ..just curious since we will be up there staying at evergreen lodge
Old 08-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
First time fishing the NE section of Lac Seul in search of great walleye fishing and the elusive muskie. We boated 103 walleye in my boat all week, 35 pike and 4 muskie.

Walleye were biting on minnows, crawlers, leeches and plastics. We caught them jigging, trolling harnesses and even with big cranks trolling for muskie. I was a bit unhappy with the walleye count, but we were able to find them on most rocky points or wind-blown areas, mostly in 25-40FOW. Biggest walleyes were 27.5 and 26, and we all came home with limits and ate plenty of fish during our trip. I'm certain if we weren't casting for muskie for half our trip, we'd have really tuned in on the walleye and hammered them. If we didn't see fish on our electronics, we didn't fish there. We went all the way from Three Sister to Wasepi Bay, and anywhere in between. No doubt if we had fished just within 2 miles of camp, we'd catch all the fish we wanted. No need to travel far, I think we did, just to check out different spots. Lots of unnecessary miles IMO.

Pike were found in weedy bays and we found plenty of them throwing for muskie. 36" was the biggest, plenty in the lower 30's and lots of hammer-handles.

Muskie (50, 44, 42, 37.5) were all found in weedy bays near deeper water. 50 was on a green tinsel bucktail, 44 was on cannonball junior (white), 42 was on a pike painted crank, 37.5 was on green tinsel bucktail. Heavy action on Wed/Thur with Friday being incredibly tough. We moved a lot of fish earlier in the week, and feel if we targeted muskie all week, we probably could have doubled our number. Several other 50"+ muskie were caught in camp that week, with one couple reportedly netting a 60" - but could not share pics.

Regarding Lac Seul Outposts. Highly recommend this lodge. They are literally in the middle of prime-time fishing, with another 'fly in' lodge only a mile away, and about 1-2 miles from many houseboats. The facilities are PRIME with full electricity, hot/cold water, high-pressure showers with ice delivery and garbage pickup daily - right at your cabin. They offer grocery/booze delivery, right in your cabin, at no additional cost (we'll do that next time so we don't have to cart everything up from WI). Service was impeccable, all gear/luggage delivered to/from cabin and the transport boats were great. The fish houses were great, clean, with full electricity, hoses, tall cleaning tables - and they took care of the guts. Great sandy beaches, power at the docks and you can bring your own gas if you want.

ETA: Lots of unmarked rock piles and dangerous spots - you have to really be careful up in this area as it could a disaster if you get into trouble with your boat. It's a 35ish mile ride, by boat, to the camp - thanks to LSO for providing transport boats to/from so we could map our way in and out.
LOL !
Well.... I AM headed up to the Outposts from 9/7 -- 9/14 !
I will STRONGLY second Your Opinion on the Outposts !
EVERYTHING You said is true and right on...
Missed last Year's trip...
SO... I am REALLY looking forward to This Years trip !!
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 08-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Keeper

Sorry but if I fished on lac Seul for 7-8 days and only caught 103 walleyes (even if I didn’t target them 100% of the time), I would be looking for a new lake to fish. If you’re happy with that, great, I wouldn’t be, but to each their own
Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 AM
Keeper

Well, we didn't get out before 8/9AM, came in for a lunch pretty much every day, and targeted musky pretty much every day after lunch. And, when we found fish, we didn't sit on them for 8-10 hours - that'd be boring. So, could we have caught 500 walleye? Sure, but that means fishing for nothing else, and not exploring other parts of the lake and sitting on Pecker Point all day, every day. Boorrringgg. We caught limits every day and ate fish every day as well, so it's not like we starved. To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmbkiller View Post
Sorry but if I fished on lac Seul for 7-8 days and only caught 103 walleyes (even if I didn’t target them 100% of the time), I would be looking for a new lake to fish. If you’re happy with that, great, I wouldn’t be, but to each their own
Old 08-21-2019, 06:57 AM
Keeper

Good luck, I'm interested to hear how things go for you. Do you fish pike/muskie at all? We found bigger fish in Wasepi off wind blow points. PM me if you want, I can share info if you'd like! Safe travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimirjr View Post
LOL !
Well.... I AM headed up to the Outposts from 9/7 -- 9/14 !
I will STRONGLY second Your Opinion on the Outposts !
EVERYTHING You said is true and right on...
Missed last Year's trip...
SO... I am REALLY looking forward to This Years trip !!