Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
502 update - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-30-2019, 06:57 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
Each one was going over about a car length of gravel, but, yeah, lots of them.

BTW, funny handle.
I came down 502 yesterday (6/29/19) and in addition to the culverts there was a 5 mile stretch of gravel just south of Dryden. Mostly dirt, but some gravel. Wasn't bad, I slowed down and rarely heard anything hit the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Wallhanger

I also drive south on 502 on 6/29 and I just got done scrapping 80 lbs of 502 off of my truck, trailer, & boat. With that 5 mile stretch, along with the numerous culvert bumps, if I were to go back today, I would definitely take the longer west route. No brainer.
Traxxis
HB 999hd SI
HB 858c
Old 06-30-2019, 02:12 PM
Keeper

502 is always a brutal stretch no matter the road condition in my opinion b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 02:57 PM
Minnow

I agree with Carnhzkr. I got up here yesterday (6/29) sans boat. Iíll be pulling it back next weekend taking 71. Havenít been that way in years so it will be a nice change in scenery as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnhzkr View Post
I also drive south on 502 on 6/29 and I just got done scrapping 80 lbs of 502 off of my truck, trailer, & boat. With that 5 mile stretch, along with the numerous culvert bumps, if I were to go back today, I would definitely take the longer west route. No brainer.
What time did you go through? I headed down 502 a little before 6 and everything was nice and dry.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Wallhanger

Due to a flat tire, I got a late start and hit 502 at about 9:30. Due to July 1 being a Canadian holiday and making for a 3-day weekend, there were no construction workers along that entire stretch. I assume they all had Saturday off.
Traxxis
HB 999hd SI
HB 858c
Old 06-30-2019, 07:59 PM
Keeper

Coming home on 502 about 5am-ish on the 29th I saw a moose for the first time on that road.

Quote:
Due to a flat tire, I got a late start and hit 502 at about 9:30. Due to July 1 being a Canadian holiday and making for a 3-day weekend, there were no construction workers along that entire stretch. I assume they all had Saturday off.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:21 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
I didn't see any workers either. Did it rain and wet the road between when I went through and you did? Was it mud stuck to your boat and truck? I was across the bridge and in Minnesota at 8:30.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecatcher1 View Post
I didn't see any workers either. Did it rain and wet the road between when I went through and you did? Was it mud stuck to your boat and truck? I was across the bridge and in Minnesota at 8:30.
It didn't rain on me. The stuff on the road that sticks to your vehicle is sort of a oily dirt crap that just grabs to anything it can get a hold of. I got it off with a couple of scrubbings. It wasn't as bad as I've experienced on Hwy 17 and 105 over the past few years, but bad enough to persuade me to go west if I had the option. I'll be going up again in August and heading to Sioux Lookout at that time, so I'll be hoping that part is finished by then because 502 is the only way to get from here to there.
Traxxis
HB 999hd SI
HB 858c
Old 07-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
It didn't rain on me. The stuff on the road that sticks to your vehicle is sort of a oily dirt crap that just grabs to anything it can get a hold of. I got it off with a couple of scrubbings. It wasn't as bad as I've experienced on Hwy 17 and 105 over the past few years, but bad enough to persuade me to go west if I had the option. I'll be going up again in August and heading to Sioux Lookout at that time, so I'll be hoping that part is finished by then because 502 is the only way to get from here to there.
And another thing. Not directly related to 502, but my later than planned start got me in to FF at 11:30 on Saturday. Definitely avoid trying to cross into USA at mid-day on a Saturday. Typically, I arrive at about 9:30 and have at most a 20 minute wait, but the line started almost back to the Copper River Inn before I could U-tun and get in line. I thought for sure it'd be close to 2 hours before I made it to the check point, but it only took a little over an hour. Plan ahead!
Traxxis
HB 999hd SI
HB 858c