Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
storing nightcrawlers ? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2021, 07:36 AM
Keeper

Default storing nightcrawlers ?

Does anyone keep nightcrawlers over the winter season ? Just wondering if it is possible here in Michigan over the winter. Would think so, but please explain how to do it, and how difficult.
Thanks.

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2021, 10:10 AM
Wallhanger

years ago my friend left a container of live worms (left over from a fishing trip) in the basement fridge. In the spring his mom found it , when he opened the container there were three times the amount of worms that were there before . Try the fridge if the container has worm food in it.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:19 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cialone View Post
years ago my friend left a container of live worms (left over from a fishing trip) in the basement fridge. In the spring his mom found it , when he opened the container there were three times the amount of worms that were there before . Try the fridge if the container has worm food in it.

With enough space and food worms will multiply. About 3x every month so not surprised by what your friend discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2021, 05:11 PM
Wallhanger

One year I had about a half flat left. Stored in refrigerator over the winter and changed bedding every 30 days or so. By late December I had to get another container as they did multiply. I didn't have to buy any nightcrawlers the following year. Usually go through about 3 flats a year.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:00 PM
Wallhanger

I have a refrigerator in my basement dedicated to bait storage, predominently nightcrawlers. Fresh bedding, monthly, with wet shredded newspaper over the top keeps them happy and healthy. I also add diced vegetable peelings, when available. Best temperature seems to be 40-45 degrees.
I prepare fresh bedding 3-4 days prior to changing it and store it in the frig to cool down.
i stir it a few times to make sure moisture is evenly distributed and discard any weak or sickly worms if or when I find them.

A friend keeps his in 2" thick wall styrofoam shipping containers, in his garage. He added a cheap, indoor/outdoor thermometer to monitor the cooler temperature. He keeps refreezable ice packs in his freezer to use for cooling. Jugs of frozen water would do the same thing.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:25 AM
Wallhanger

if by chance you don't have a fridge in the basement try a large wooden box. line it with torn up newspaper and dampen it. then put in your bedding and top off with damp newspaper now take a large piece of screen wire and tack it over the top to keep the worms from getting out. I have heard that you can add used coffee grounds for food. but about every month change everything out. they should keep just fine as long as you don't heat the basement. i have placed worms in the fridge one yr and forgot about them until the next summer and they were still good. but they had a lot of bedding in the cup they were stored in. at the cold temperature of the fridge there not very active.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:45 PM
Keeper

put some newspaper on the top of your container (5 gal bucket)....damp leaves would work also. This provides them with food over the winter. Basement or some structure beneath ground needs to be in play.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:45 PM
Slot Fish

Wonder how many thousand "they all died" stories there are for every "they are making baby worms" story.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:21 AM
Minnow

Location: Parks Hwy, Denali National Park and Preserve, AK, USA
Default Hello Dear

About half a flat was left after one year. During the winter, the bedding was stored in the refrigerator and changed about every 30 days. As they multiplied, I needed another container by the end of December. It made things easier the following year because there were no nightcrawlers to buy. I usually move from one flat to the next.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:22 AM
Keeper

A friend of mine was the maintenance guy at a school. He started a worm farm in the school basement one winter. Come spring, I think the worms tripled. I think the temp was around or below 60. He fed and took care of them though. You can’t just dump a bunch of worms in a styrofoam cooler and call it good for four or five months.