Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Motor for 1979 16' Lund - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-29-2021, 07:51 PM
Slot Fish

25 & 30 OMC have a primer choke you pull out pump it 2 or 3 times. Don’t push it in all the way to choke. Warm it up and then push it in, it will snap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2021, 05:59 AM
Wallhanger

I like the idea of a flat floor. if I was doing it I would look into composite boards for decking. it's more expensive but will last almost forever. I'm now sure about weight compared to treated wood but it would be worth checking out.

a 25 hp motor would be ok but a 35 or 40 and you wouldn't ever have to think about how much of a load you had.

as for the boat and trailer being worth 750.00 I wouldn't even think twice about buying it if that's the type of boat you want.

pm sent about info.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Gary,
The trailer is likely worth $300-$400, so you are paying about $400 for the hull alone.
Pretty reasonable.

Also, there is a set of $150 Nauticus trim tabs on the back which will really help to get the boat on plane and also smooth the ride. Do yourself a favor - and do NOT remove the tabs.

For myself, I would go with a 40hp if found rather than a smaller motor. The slightly larger motor will give you a couple more mph which may be nice to have under certain conditions.

My buddy had a 35hp evinrude on his similar sized boat different brand and it was virtually bullet proof. We spent a lot of hours fishing out of his rig. Great boat and motor combination. Not a particularly smooth or dry boat in rough water, so we normally kept to the shoreline for moves on a bigger lake. But the boat was great to fish from.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I checked on Facebook Market Place and a fellow has a 40 hp Evinrude for sale for $350. He indicated that it ships free from Nebraska:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...c-19c4f2181c23

From the color I am guessing that it is a mid 70s motor.

------------------------------------

Here is a 98 Johnson 25hp from Lewistown MN:

=-----------------------------------------
A 1999 25 hp long shaft Johnson - in St. Paul for 1,400.

-------------------------------------------
Here is a boat with a 25hp Yamaha for $1400. Perhaps you could deal with the fellow and purchase just the motor.

Good luck on your project.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:13 AM
Wallhanger

Default Everyone

Good stuff thanks
Old 12-02-2021, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

In a boat like this - or for most any other boats, I would not install carpet.

Tough to keep clean and not much going for carpet otherwise.

If you wanted to do something different, you could install an aluminum floor with appropriate aluminum bracing under the floor. But, if you do that, you have to h ave a sub frame to support any pedestal seats in the boat because a thin piece of aluminum would not support a seat and its stress.

Take care
Old 12-11-2021, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

A long, long time ago, I added a plywood floor to my 16' Lund. To eliminate slipping, I painted the floor, and then sprinkled sand over the still wet paint. It worked very well, and was an inexpensive solution to arriving at a much nicer fishing boat.

Bill
Old 12-16-2021, 06:22 AM
Wallhanger

Default Kind of What i am thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
A long, long time ago, I added a plywood floor to my 16' Lund. To eliminate slipping, I painted the floor, and then sprinkled sand over the still wet paint. It worked very well, and was an inexpensive solution to arriving at a much nicer fishing boat.

Bill
Bill good idea, A camo non slip floor, had it on another boat, liked it a lot. Do I need another boat maybe not, but what the heck right....thanks
Old 12-17-2021, 04:43 PM
Wallhanger

Default Thinking

Applying the 70% of boat rating 25 hp would be borderline at best a 40 hp much better
Old 12-17-2021, 06:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Korsgaden View Post
Bill good idea, A camo non slip floor, had it on another boat, liked it a lot. Do I need another boat maybe not, but what the heck right....thanks

Never confuse need & want.