Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mercury 9.9 Kicker Sudden Full Throttle - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-05-2021, 01:54 PM
Slot Fish

Default Mercury 9.9 Kicker Sudden Full Throttle

I have a 2018 Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker CT. I went out trolling and after about 6 hours of trolling with the kicker it all of the sudden just goes to full throttle. I shut it off and pull the cover and the throttle position is in the lowest throttle position. Start it and it is still at full throttle. So I shut it off and manually move the throttle cable back and forth between full throttle and idle. Then it starts up and has worked fine since. I have had this happen to me twice now, once at the end of last year and then this year. Any idea what would cause this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2021, 06:31 AM
Keeper

Do you have a tollmaster or itroll? Friend of mine had it where the cable was getting wrapped around the linkage and it would not allow him to throttle down. Might be a clue to you rissues
Old 04-06-2021, 06:55 AM
Wallhanger

Happened to me with my Yamaha kicker and Trollmaster. The trollmaster took over my kicker on its own and would go to full throttle. They replaced the whole unit the next week. New unit worked like crap, but I used it anyway for a while, and eventually paid to have that replaced. That worked fine for about three days and then started having problems just like the previous units. Finally had enough and had all the trollmaster stuff taken out and replaced with an Itrol. Was expensive switching, but now have a unit that works. I am only assuming that you have a trollmaster as you talk of a cable, and trollmaster uses a cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2021, 06:03 PM
Keeper

As others have said, I had the same issue with the troll master. It developed after about five years. It seemed to be electrical interference in the servo motor which was wired to the starting battery. I changed the connection to on of the trolling motor batts and have not had a problem since.