Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anchor - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-19-2021, 07:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Not sure how big a 50k#-70k# boat is (40'-65' motor yacht?) but yeah, a shorter rode & steeper angle on a boat that size would be less than what you would use on a fishing rig - until you get caught in a monster blow - then you want al the rode you can put out so you aren't driven onto the shore.
Lift factor comes into play a bit. The more a boat "bounces" (bow going up and down between big waves), the longer rode you need out.
i remember our "rode" angle looked different than everybody else but i thought the ol man must know what hes doin, HE DIDN'T, we got back from dinner and people were yelling our boat almost swung into theirs.. its a bertram 670 and its to much for his old A$$ but now days he's pretty much what we call a "slip sailor"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2021, 08:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Not sure how big a 50k#-70k# boat is (40'-65' motor yacht?) but yeah, a shorter rode & steeper angle on a boat that size would be less than what you would use on a fishing rig - until you get caught in a monster blow - then you want al the rode you can put out so you aren't driven onto the shore.
Lift factor comes into play a bit. The more a boat "bounces" (bow going up and down between big waves), the longer rode you need out.
yea i was way off its a little over 100k lbs
Old 10-20-2021, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin123 View Post
yea i was way off its a little over 100k lbs
Ya tink?
67.5' with pulpit & 108,045 lbs. (full load). A couple of 1,800-hp DDC-MTU 16V2000 M90 diesels alone, puts it in the 50-ton class - not that Anonymouse knows a dang thingy about actual yachts. Still, nice boat to be a slip sailor on, if ya gots da moneeez.

For something that size, a rode angle of 45 degrees, or about 2X the vertical depth, would be more appropriate.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 10-20-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2021, 06:33 AM
Wallhanger

I just don't think the op needs a complete motor to anchor here. I think just a couple of heads off a big block chevy would hold him nicely, LOL.

all jokes aside all he needs is a 15# or an 18# fluke style anchor with the slip ring and enough rope and chain you will be able to anchor in anything but the roughest water.

I have anchored in over 2' waves with my light 7# fluke anchor with about 8' of chain and 150' of line out. maybe I was just lucky the one time I did this.