Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The Emperor Has No Clothes – Well, That I Can Tell Anyway! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Minnow

Default The Emperor Has No Clothes – Well, That I Can Tell Anyway!

In 2000 I bought a Pinpoint trolling motor and depth finder system. I was intrigued and enthusiastic about the depth tracking feature and networking capabilities. Well, great idea, but it didn’t work so well. Then Motorguide bought Pinpoint. I waited a couple of years hoping they would improve the electronics and bought another one – still intrigued by the possibility of depth track motor control. One button push and you set the depth you wanted to track. Sorry, still didn’t work. (If it would, I contend that it would be way better at doing what we need it to do – follow a depth contour than the GPS and map tracking…)

So, when everyone started hyping i-link, and gps tracking, what do you think I did? Absolutely, this HAS to work better, I told myself. Despite being skeptical that ANYONE can put together an accurate bathometric map, I bought a Minnkota Terrova with I-Link the Lake Master Maps, Humminbird 788 for the bow and 988 for the console. I have had this set up for 1 year.

What I like: The clarity of the graphs. The gps. Side scan and HD downscan.

What I don’t like: No way to customize screen views of the various features. All of the screens have been hard coded. The 788’s processor is too slow.

What I would really like to like: the anchor feature, the contour tracking, autopilot.

The anchor feature is a good idea and I have used it many times. It just doesn’t work. It takes way too long for the motor to recognize that it has moved before it reacts. In dead calm, it does ok!

Contour tracking, forget that the mapping is not accurate, doesn’t work either, for the same reason as the anchor feature. It takes too long for the chips in the motor and the 788 to react and therefore you get way off the contour. Add a little wind and forget it. (just when most of us would like to use it the most!) Try to start the contour track in any type of wind and it is nearly impossible, if not impossible, due to the number of steps and the slow speed of the processor in the 788.

Don’t know what to say about autopilot – except again that the motor takes too long to make an adjustment and therefore doesn’t stay on heading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what to tell you - I think the autopilot is great for maintaining a course in the wind. I used it on Erie in 20mph crosswinds and we hit our waypoints every time, and cruise control ensured that we were at our target speed. If anything, I wish there was an S-curve mode.

I agree that the accuracy of the contour maps is not sufficient for certain circumstances (eg. tight contours close to a bluff). I think that's the reason that Autochart fits into the equation.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

Default Different Experience

I have to say that I have had a totally different experience with my i-pilot link, I love mine! The spot lock works pretty well and the follow the contour feature is almost beyond words. Now is some spots the mapping is somewhat off but not too bad. Autochart will fix this issue as you can make dead on maps. I have virtually no lag time when the terrova is ready to make a move whether that be spot locked or following a contour. Maybe your problem is the 788? I don't really know for sure, just wanted to chime in and say my experience is nearly opposite of yours/.
Hummibird 898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Wallhanger

Chaser, I still have my original pinpoint and 2 depth finders. With no wind they worked ok.Quirks,yes. I have not gone back to motorguide. However, ipilot link works. Just not with a standard definision Lake master maps. I use navionics on my lake because of the inaccuracy you state. Nothing is going to be able to give you super stability. Too many variables for that to happen anytime soon. You have to realize the limitations and adjust. I too tend to jump all over the new stuff before it has proven itself. I get frustrated with myself jumping in also. I have a LM chip I do not use but if they ever survey my lake I will probably spend the money on it and probably not be satisfied but I like the game. I think one of the newer HB units might make things better(much faster). I feel you pain! Bob
Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Don’t know what to say about autopilot – except again that the motor takes too long to make an adjustment and therefore doesn’t stay on heading. [/QUOTE]

I'm only going to comment on this one, because I have a feeling you're using it in "Advanced GPS" instead of the "Legacy". Legacy will use the compass in the head to keep you on your desired course with accurate heading.

The Advanced GPS uses the GPS instead of the compass and it will be slower to respond, as you said, and it will also act like it has a gremlin in it from time to time, or at least it does for me.

I always use the autopilot with the Legacy setting. Never a problem with my heading and it's fast to respond.

I'm not sure which remote you have, but the older one will have a circle around the "N" for the Advanced GPS and just a regular "N", with no circle, for the Legacy compass setting.

In the newer remote it will have a blue N for the Legacy setting and a gold N for the Advanced GPS setting.

Make sure you're on the Legacy setting next time and see if that doesn't make you happy.
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Minnow

Thanks Juls. I will try that next time out. I did own a Minn Kota a while ago and the autopilot did work pretty well. I must be using the gps enhanced button on my remote.