Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova / iPilot Link / kicker trolling configuration - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Keeper

Default Terrova / iPilot Link / kicker trolling configuration

Good morning!
I live in Green Bay, WI and often troll on the bay and Lake Winnebago for walleyes. We are upgrading to a Terrova bow mount and looking to upgrade to a Humminbird graph to fully utilize the iLink capabilities.
My question relates to the auto pilot capabilities and how effective the Terrova and iPilot Link would be with our kicker motor pushing the boat. We have a brand new 9.9 Merc Pro kicker and would like to continue using that to propel the boat while trolling, and maintain 2-2.3mph.
If we have a course that we want to maintain, whether it be magnetic, gps waypoint created, or the contour lines on our graph, is it feasible to set the speed with the 9.9 kicker and Trollmaster and let the Terrova operate using only minimal power to make the course corrections? I see articles online pointing to the fact that's it's "possible" but haven't necessarily seen anyone doing it or explaining pros/ cons to that specific approach.

Thank you all so much in advance, and here's to hoping Winter ends sometime before mid-May !
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Jeremy,

I will never own another boat w/o an ipilot or ilink. Why? In nearly every trolling style when you push the boat it takes a long time for the bow to react. With the bow mount down and doing the turning the reaction time is many times faster, thus keeping you on your intended course much longer aka presenting your baits most effectively to get bit, over and over again.

There is only one way to get comfortable w this method. Time on the water is your friend... Experimenting w the speed to give you the correct reaction and avoid a snaky path thru the water comes w experience. Fun stuff figuring it out. Every boat brand and length reacts differently. Just remember some snaky paths are the most productive...

To date I've only enjoyed the ipilot. Gen 1 & 2. I still marvel at the ease w which I can now stay on fish. Whether netting, taking a pic, eating a sandwich, etc. no more racing to the tiller to correct an OMG off course adventure. It's greatly reduced the blue clouds that used to form over my boat on certain days.

The fun part is throw in Ma Nature's wind, current, other anglers, scuba guys (just learned about this here on WC in SDak.), and the learning curve just keeps growing.

Very easy to get started by studying the manual so when you plop it in the water you know what should happen when you start pressing buttons. Spend about 4-6 hours studying like in college. Get a small note pad and make notes you can bring w in the boat. It'll greatly reduce any frustration and you'll be much busy getting the net than most.

Enjoy, hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Wallhanger

Add on a troll master or any brand rpm controller for the kicker and boat control continues to get easier.

Start your kicker, lock it straight, drop the ilink, set your course and starting dropping your baits.

Some tricks I've learned to be effective? Put the ipilot/ilink down and set to record a route. Drive w your big engine to make a straighter course. Save route, hit return to route and start fishing. Ilink has many more options I haven't experienced, yet.

Report back after some time on the water.

Last edited by KTurner; 04-05-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Typing challenges continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Keeper

Alot of times on Winnebago in the mud flats we are more concerned about just a straight course, whether it be magnetic east/ north or whatnot.
I assume the autopilot can nail that down as well with ease?
I don't believe I have to predetermine my route 100% of the time, do I?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 PM
Wallhanger

No, you press Advanced Autopilot - choose a heading & stay on course. But realize wind makes this less than perfect. You'll learn how to adjust the tiller direction & speed to assist w staying on course.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroff View Post
Good morning!
I live in Green Bay, WI and often troll on the bay and Lake Winnebago for walleyes. We are upgrading to a Terrova bow mount and looking to upgrade to a Humminbird graph to fully utilize the iLink capabilities.
My question relates to the auto pilot capabilities and how effective the Terrova and iPilot Link would be with our kicker motor pushing the boat. We have a brand new 9.9 Merc Pro kicker and would like to continue using that to propel the boat while trolling, and maintain 2-2.3mph.
If we have a course that we want to maintain, whether it be magnetic, gps waypoint created, or the contour lines on our graph, is it feasible to set the speed with the 9.9 kicker and Trollmaster and let the Terrova operate using only minimal power to make the course corrections? I see articles online pointing to the fact that's it's "possible" but haven't necessarily seen anyone doing it or explaining pros/ cons to that specific approach.

Thank you all so much in advance, and here's to hoping Winter ends sometime before mid-May !
Jeremy
I have had an autopilot for several years and have just upgraded to the I-pilot. SO, speaking of the autopilot, what you described is exactly how we run the boat when trolling the majority of the time. If it is windy, we have to troll downwind or with a downwind quartering the back of the boat. If its quartering, we have to use the TM for some thrust for better control of direction. I should work just as you plan, provided you troll downwind.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I use my Terrova and iPilot function when trolling open water, in combination with the 9.9 Prokicker w/Trollmaster to control course and speed. Works awesome, a great tool!!
Terrova 80# bowmount
Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Now this is one nice advantage the link has over the ipilot.
No need to drop the terova in to pre-record a track.
The link can utilize the GPS puck from the HB
Therefore tracks can be recorded at a very fast pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTurner View Post
Add on a troll master or any brand rpm controller for the kicker and boat control continues to get easier.

Start your kicker, lock it straight, drop the ilink, set your course and starting dropping your baits.

Some tricks I've learned to be effective? Put the ipilot/ilink down and set to record a route. Drive w your big engine to make a straighter course. Save route, hit return to route and start fishing. Ilink has many more options I haven't experienced, yet.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTurner View Post

What he said^^^^

Tags
ipilot , kicker , link , terrova , trolling