Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Beginner needs help! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Minnow

Default Beginner needs help!

I'm a newbie at fishing for walleye. I've fished for them off and on for a few years with basically no success. My question is when trolling crawler harnesses can you troll multiple rods is a spread of harnesses or do you need to hold the rod? I'm from east TN and only the old timers really fish for walleye and all of them troll with rod in hand. Another question I have is when you troll with bottom bouncers is it best to hold the rod or can it be also put into a rod holder and how would I go about fishing with it correctly? I've really had no success in locating the walleye in my local lake. Basically everyone around here really only fishes for them during the river runs. I know the main forage in my lake is shad so should I be looking for schools of shad then trolling around them. Sorry for so lang of a post but there is really no one in my area I can turn too for knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Talk to your local game warden or local DNR officer.

They will have a very good handle on the location of various fish species at different times of the year.

Be safe
Old 04-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Most of the time I like to hold my rod, but there are occasions when they seem to do a little better leaving the rod in the holder for me. Maybe I am too fidgety for when they are in a funky mood.

One idea is talk to your local bait shop. They are a dying breed, but can be your best friends when trying to find a pattern for walleyes.

And last but not least, try to make friends with someone coming off the water that knows the game and ask if they can teach you. Most of the time, fishermen are willing to teach others.

Tight Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Keeper

I run harnesses on planner boards when doing a spread they do well at setting the hook for you. I let out line till bb hits real up couple cranks then attach board where line meets the water. Give it a try very handy with couple extra people in the boat.
1/2 oar
30' metered line with rock tied on end
Long stick at the bow
One compass (don't work)
Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Wallhanger

Bottom bouncers are designed to be held in hand. They are designed to fish rocks. The wire bumps the rocks and it keeps the lead from getting snagged between the rocks. They can of course be used in other situations, they are after all just a sinker, but that not the primary design purpose.

For slow trolling with rod in holders, long line and light jigs works well. If you are allowed 2 lines, one of these in the holder and a bouncer or walking sinker in the hand is a good combo.

I would look for ambush points more than looking for shad. Troll your harness along the weed edge in about 10 ft of water is usually pretty sound in Spring and early Summer. Moving down the edge of long points protruding into the main lake is good. Look for the old river channel if there is one.

Edges of steep cut banks or cliffs are good places to look. The main thing is do your research. Read all you can find. Look at the techniques and pay less attention to the marketing. Then get on the water and practice. Learn your lake. Don't keep doing the same thing over and over if it doesn't work. If no luck in about 30 minutes, change and/or move. If you have good luck and then it stops, remember everything. Time of day, temp, location, bait. Try to find a common denominator and bank it in your brain.

If you stick with it, you'll have it figured out in a year or two. Then it will get much easier.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 AM
Slot Fish

Check out Ax Fishing academy on YouTube. There are several parts and it can be long but there is some good info. Videos and books will get you started. And like mentioned earlier, hit up the local bait shops. If there are walleye around you , someone is catching them
Old 04-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee7803 View Post
I'm a newbie at fishing for walleye. I've fished for them off and on for a few years with basically no success. My question is when trolling crawler harnesses can you troll multiple rods is a spread of harnesses or do you need to hold the rod? I'm from east TN and only the old timers really fish for walleye and all of them troll with rod in hand. Another question I have is when you troll with bottom bouncers is it best to hold the rod or can it be also put into a rod holder and how would I go about fishing with it correctly? I've really had no success in locating the walleye in my local lake. Basically everyone around here really only fishes for them during the river runs. I know the main forage in my lake is shad so should I be looking for schools of shad then trolling around them. Sorry for so lang of a post but there is really no one in my area I can turn too for knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most of us put rod holders on our boats for a reason, to hold the rods. You can certainly hold the rod in hand but most of us prefer to use the holder.

When trolling a spread pf spinners in open water we use Off Shore in-line planer boards. They help spread out our presentation. It provides for lots of fun as they also act as big bobbers.

Trolling with bottom bouncers is lots of fun.
If we are fishing flats with few snags we place them in rod holders and also use the off shore boards with the tattle flag set up. The flag goes down when you have a fish on.
If we are fishing a snaggy area holding the rod in hand may be more preferred so you can read the bottom. Dropping the bouncer back, lifting up often to feel the bottom. The Northland Slick Stick works well for this as it is made out of steel and trasmits feel to your rod tip well.

Fishing around bait fish is always a good tactic.
NPAA #499

Tags
crawler harness , shad , walleye , walleye fishing , walleye location