Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Networking two Helix units. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 04-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Minnow

Default Networking two Helix units.

I have a Helix 7 Si G2N and a Helix 9 Si. I want them both at the console, one for mapping and one for sonar. I was wondering if I network them together, can they both run off of the same transducer to avoid interference from having two transducers?

Also can I have my auto chart running on one screen and have my sonar running on the other screen. Or does networking only mimic what ever I have on one screen to the other?

When I am only networking two units, if I've researched right. I shouldn't need the networking switch box correct?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 07:09 AM
Supporting Vendor

If you're only going to use your Helix 7 SI G2N for mapping, then there is no need to share the transducer with the Helix 9 SI. Although you can if you choose to.

Theoretically, (since I haven't tested this myself) you should be able to run AutoChart on one screen and sonar on the other. Since both units are Helix and can be networked, you're sharing the data provided by the transducer. Each unit is only showing different views of that same data.

When networking only 2 ethernet capable units, you don't need the AS ETH 5PXG switch. Once you add the 3rd ethernet capable device, then everything routes through the switch. This would include i-Pilot LINK or Humminbird 360.

Brian

http://img.autoforums.com/srtforums/BBGMarineTopBannerFinalGIF_375x48_Dec2017.gif
Old 04-17-2018, 02:09 PM
Minnow

You only need a network cable to link them up. The Ethernet box is only needed with 3 or more items. You can share sonar, gps, waypoints between units. Also if you ever do one sonar unit and one SI unit they will both have SI when networked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicohinz1 View Post
I have a Helix 7 Si G2N and a Helix 9 Si. I want them both at the console, one for mapping and one for sonar. I was wondering if I network them together, can they both run off of the same transducer to avoid interference from having two transducers?

Also can I have my auto chart running on one screen and have my sonar running on the other screen. Or does networking only mimic what ever I have on one screen to the other?

When I am only networking two units, if I've researched right. I shouldn't need the networking switch box correct?

Thanks
Helix units can share transducer data. They cannot share map data.

Check out my video on Ethernet. This will help you understand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqxARCcYRmk&t
Old 04-19-2018, 12:26 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwira001 View Post
Helix units can share transducer data. They cannot share map data.

Check out my video on Ethernet. This will help you understand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqxARCcYRmk&t

That's too bad. Solix to solix and solix to onix share map data.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

I believe Helix units can share waypoints, just not a single map chip. You have to run a Lakemaster/Navionics/ACLZ chip in each unit. On the Onix/Solix units you can share one chip.

Here is a great video showing what you get when you network a Helix-Onix/Solix or a Helix-Helix.

https://youtu.be/xf4xpFtwOAs
Minn Kota Ulterra 112# 36v iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 10 SI MEGA G3N Flush Mount
Humminbird Helix 7 DI MEGA G3N Bow Mount

Instagram @harderoutdoors

Last edited by SkWalter; 04-19-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Minnow

Here is a diagram of how I have my boat rigged.
Adapter cables are to connect Helix units, and extensions are to reach from Ulterra LINK and Helix 12 to the switch under the dash.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6d7084a5de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by chase_bren; 04-24-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Tags
helix , networking , one transducer two units.