Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
last week of work - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2020, 08:12 AM
Minnow

Congratulations on your retirement. Been 4 years for me after 35 years at 3M as a journeyman machinist. Where did that time go? Enjoy every day, you have earned it. A joke a friend of mine told me is his wife asked him what are you going to do today, he said nothing, she said you did that yesterday , he said Iím not done yet. Stay healthy and somewhat busy, got to get the fishing time in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 08:37 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdi View Post
Well this starts my last week of work I retire on Friday. After 50 years in the retail foods industry itís time to go.
Started working for A&P at 16 as a stock clerk. Then went to the meat department as an apprentice meat cutter. A&P wasnít doing well in the Chicago area so I got a job at Dominickí stayed there for a little over 25 years. Took a job with the United Food and Commercial Workers Union as a Business Agent or Union Rep which ever you like. In a short time became Director of Meat Division and soon after that Executive Assistant and then Secretary Treasurer. With only a few years left to retirement I turned down the chance to be President of the local. I was a trustee on 2 pension funds 3 health funds served as chair on 1 of them. Trustee on a medical center. I was the President of North Central Illinois Labor Council and I was Co-chair of the Amalgamated Bank Labor Council.
All in all what a great ride. So as of 4pm on Friday Iím on my own clock.
Congrats on your retirement.

Did you by chance know a guy name Ross Mandela ? He started on that same path, as a clerk and than an apprentice meat cutter for A&P and also moved on to Dominick's. He did not stay with it, he went on to insurance sales and came to work for me in the 90's. He was in Chicago Northwest side.
Ultera
Kicker
Smartcraft
Zipwakes
Old 06-26-2020, 06:46 PM
Minnow

Was also in the UCFW in the Detroit area. My buddy was a meat cutter too. Company went belly up about 1986. SO I had 15 years of pension time in. Self employed since then and now retired.
Nice waking up in the morning and asking the wife "what do you want to do today" ? In reality I always have things to do. But now its "put off till tomorrow what you don't want to do today". LOL
Been retired 3 years now and its wonderful.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbheli View Post
Congrats on your retirement.

Did you by chance know a guy name Ross Mandela ? He started on that same path, as a clerk and than an apprentice meat cutter for A&P and also moved on to Dominick's. He did not stay with it, he went on to insurance sales and came to work for me in the 90's. He was in Chicago Northwest side.
NO didn't know him I worked in the western Suburbs.
But it is funny how many people have crossed the same paths.

again thank you
Old 06-26-2020, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Some real achievements. A professional life well spent.

Now, stop & smell the roses. Recalibrate/enjoy this first year and then plan for the many more to come. Also, don't fool yourself. The to do list is never ending. I have been retired 18 years and still got lotsa stuff I really should do but prioritized early on. Did forget some contingencies for a few situations but you learn to adapt. (loss of balance/vertigo has been an issue for fishing in boat alone as an example)

Some here say never look back. I disagree. Relationships & achievements make for good memories.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

Congrats. I am 57 and I think about retirement every day. I have a good deal of money put aside but feel like I don't. I have two pensions which I have not started because the longer I wait the benefit increases. I can retire right now and keep my health insurance at current employee rates. I just feel like something else will happen and that I might need more.

I am glad you found your window to retire and that it was on your terms. As some others have echoed, take care of your health. A little exercise here, an extra hand or foot safety grip there, simple things can make such a difference.

Best wishes.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 06-27-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

When I was at the company working, the group vice president of the manufacturing side of the company retired.

He had been retired for a month.

He had gone up on a ladder at his lake home in Wi. to take care of some home maintenance. A gust of wind came up and he fell two stories, landing on his head on the concrete driveway.

We was a wonderful leader and a kind and caring man. But one misstep so to speak cut short his expected years of retirement to one month.

Enjoy your life, but watch your step, do not take short cuts and do what is needed to maintain your health.

You have no life if you do not have your health.

Best wishes