Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Yamaha T-8 Problem - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-14-2020, 05:04 PM
Keeper

Default Yamaha T-8 Problem

Hello everyone, two Thursday's ago went to Lake Erie in my boat and my T-8 kicker worked fine. Hard starting as it always has been, (bought new in 2007), but once started it is great and starts immediately the rest of the day. Plus it is so quiet!

Today, went back over to Lake Erie. I usually start the motor and let it warm up as we're traveling in the no wake zone then just shut it off, and trim it up, while traveling to our "spot". Today, got busy with something else and waited until we were in the area we planned on starting. The tilt/trip worked as normal, but when I hit the started button, nothing. Checked neutral and throttle position and the kill switch. Everything normal.

When pushing the started button, nothing, no clicks, no sounds, no nothing. I know the motor is getting power because the tilt/trim is working. Pulled the cover off and the cover over the flywheel and the motor turns by hand as normal.

Cunundrum!

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Paul C.

PS....was able to use the Minn Kota today to get a limit. Other then being a long drive Lake Erie is amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2020, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

remote throttle or tiller?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:21 AM
Keeper

Default Throttle/Tiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
remote throttle or tiller?
Hi Mike, don't know. It is like the kill switch has been removed. I'm thinking all of the I-94 miles just vibrated something loose. I'm hoping to have an idea today before I make an appointment. It worked great the last time, and them two 150 mile runs down I-94 between running the motor vibrated something loose? I looked it over really good and can see nothing out of place.

It's like the starter button is just unhooked.

Paul C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftp View Post
Hi Mike, don't know. It is like the kill switch has been removed. I'm thinking all of the I-94 miles just vibrated something loose. I'm hoping to have an idea today before I make an appointment. It worked great the last time, and them two 150 mile runs down I-94 between running the motor vibrated something loose? I looked it over really good and can see nothing out of place.

It's like the starter button is just unhooked.

Paul C.
You don't know if your motor has remote controls or if it has a tiller handle?

Did you check the fuse? My 25hp has a fuse under the hood which if blown or defective, the start button will not get power.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Mike, don't know.
Remote throttle is a throttle lever at the helm(driver seat position).

Tiller throttle is a handle connected to the motor.

Either install has a neutral safety switch with little bullet connectors with a clear silicone protector.

The type you have dictates where to look to check the connections.

Remote throttle will require you to pull out the throttle assembly to check the neutral safety wires behind it.

Tiller connections would probably be under the motor hood where the switch is.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:59 PM
Keeper

Default Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Remote throttle is a throttle lever at the helm(driver seat position).

Tiller throttle is a handle connected to the motor.

Either install has a neutral safety switch with little bullet connectors with a clear silicone protector.

The type you have dictates where to look to check the connections.

Remote throttle will require you to pull out the throttle assembly to check the neutral safety wires behind it.

Tiller connections would probably be under the motor hood where the switch is.
Hello Mike F and Dave, thank you both for responding. Mike, my head was doing the usual mess up when you asked the question about the throttle. It is controlled at the tiller with a tie bar between the big motor and the trolling motor for steering. I have a Trollmaster for a remote throttle control.

So, I called the dealer I bought it from, 13 years ago. They are one hour and forty minutes away, so I have not been in the store a lot, but some over the 13 years and saw them every winter at the Grand Rapids Sports show. The owner, remembered my name every time I saw him and was always pleasant. I bought the boat knowing what I wanted to do with it, but unsure how to get there. When I bought the boat, it was pretty much perfect with the set up, and I still like it 13 years latter. The owner told me they are scheduled well in to August on service jobs, but if I could leave it he would try and sneak it in to see if parts needed to be ordered. He was hoping to look at it next week.

So, I went to the dealer this afternoon. The owner greeted me and I was talking to his son about the new Tyee's and he went out to look at the boat. He had one of his mechanics take a quick look in the parking lot and he did check the fuse, which was good. The mechanic discovered the shifting mechanism had a bolt rattle out and was no longer working. He fixed it in 10 minutes and I got to bring my boat back home.

The charge for the GREAT service. Come back to buy another boat from me some day.

Impressive. Thank you guys again for giving me places to start looking.

Paul C.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

Is your dealer in Coldwater? Glad you got it fixed!
Old 07-15-2020, 06:04 PM
Keeper

Default Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Mag View Post
Is your dealer in Coldwater? Glad you got it fixed!
Hi 7 Mag, Sports Fisherman Center in Muskegon. I'm by Kalamazoo so it is a road trip, but these guys know their product and they fish too. Makes for a fun visit.

Paul C.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:12 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftp View Post
Hi 7 Mag, Sports Fisherman Center in Muskegon. I'm by Kalamazoo so it is a road trip, but these guys know their product and they fish too. Makes for a fun visit.

Paul C.
Glad they took care of you and the Tyee’s are nice boats especially for the Great Lakes. Enjoy!