Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Warning: Long post about my trip to Cleveland Clinic. - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 09:28 AM
Minnow

good post and hoping you have a great recovery

what were the doc's recommendations as far as what to eat/not eat and about exercising?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2020, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

Good to hear all went well. Thanks for the happy story

Living in he Cleveland area we use the Clinic for most things and procedures my wife and son have had, I've also take a couple ambulance rides to the clinic, I'm always confident they will deliver and always do. I know employees over there as well, excellent health care system.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP View Post

what were the doc's recommendations as far as what to eat/not eat and about exercising?

thanks
I appreciate the thoughtful comments from everyone

I have no real restrictions whatsoever. In fact, I had no restrictions before surgery either, according to my Cardiologist. He said to run, lift, etc all I wanted. But also according to him, if I didn't get going on this within 6 months, I'd begin having some problems/symptoms. He was right. About a month ago (I saw him the first time around, March I think) I did start feeling some shortness of breath at random times, just like he said I would. He was pretty close in terms of days and weeks until symptoms would start to appear. They want me to eat healthier, too. But my Angio did not reveal anything negative happening throughout my veins or arteries. So they were not all that concerned about my eating habits - at least they never said anything.

I was on Flecanide for quite some time years ago, to control my Afib. I didn't like it. Made me look like Mr. Tomato head. I felt a little slow on draw, too. Until recently, I would take 200mg to take me out of Afib. If it didn't do it on the first dose, I'd take another 200mg (this is what the Dr's called my "pill in the pocket."). After that, if you're still in it, it's monitor the time and get ready. Rough, it's good you know when you are in Afib. That's a huge advantage. I can tell, too. They told me that 24 hours was my number. If I'm in for less than 24 hours, and I don't come out on my own or with pills, it's off to the ER for a Cardioversion. But if it's longer than 24 hours, then a TEE is required before the cardioversion to make sure you haven't developed any clots that could cause a stroke if pushed after conversion. Is any of that a huge deal? Not really. A LOT of folks have things much harder than I do. But it's a pain in the backside I'd like to eliminate if possible

My wife and I liked Cleveland, very much. The city was pretty! We walk Rockafellor park and learned a little bit about it's rich history . We also got to some parks, trails and beaches too.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwood View Post
I appreciate the thoughtful comments from everyone

I was on Flecanide for quite some time years ago, to control my Afib. I didn't like it. Made me look like Mr. Tomato head. I felt a little slow on draw, too. Until recently, I would take 200mg to take me out of Afib. If it didn't do it on the first dose, I'd take another 200mg (this is what the Dr's called my "pill in the pocket.").
So that is the drug my cardiologist has just started me on. I take 100 mg 2X daily. I've only been on it 10 days but I haven't noticed any adverse reactions. Do you mean that your face was flushed and red? I also don't feel like I've lost my edge mentally either. How long before you noticed these symptoms? I actually feel better since I started this regimen. I think I was having more episodes of Afib than I was aware of, which left me nauseous and exhausted. To my knowledge, I haven't been in Afib since I started the medicine. If it matters, I'm also taking Eliquis as a clot preventer.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roughneck View Post
So that is the drug my cardiologist has just started me on. I take 100 mg 2X daily. I've only been on it 10 days but I haven't noticed any adverse reactions. Do you mean that your face was flushed and red? I also don't feel like I've lost my edge mentally either. How long before you noticed these symptoms? I actually feel better since I started this regimen. I think I was having more episodes of Afib than I was aware of, which left me nauseous and exhausted. To my knowledge, I haven't been in Afib since I started the medicine. If it matters, I'm also taking Eliquis as a clot preventer.
I was on the same dose as you and I think those symptoms came on after a few months. I was also super active physically, and working really long hours then, too. That was in my late 30's I do believe.

We never figured out exactly what my trigger was, either. For you to know it's Grandpa's cough syrup that triggers yours is great news!
Old 11-13-2020, 10:43 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:

We never figured out exactly what my trigger was, either. For you to know it's Grandpa's cough syrup that triggers yours is great news!
Yeah, just my luck that booze is the trigger. Why couldn't it have been swiss chard? Or broccoli?
Old 11-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Keeper

Default Good news

Hello Derwood;

Great news, After having the open heart surgery at the Clinic and knowing the healing process, I think you made a great call. Glad it went well. As an FYI, they did the MAZE while working on my heart and I have been A-Fib free since, (18 months). I had an ablation there 6 months or so before my surgery and have actually been A-Fib free since then.

Amazing place. I experienced what you did with some of the health care pros who helped me but all in all, a great experience for me getting fixed.

So happy yours went well.

Paul C.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliftp View Post
Hello Derwood;

Great news, After having the open heart surgery at the Clinic and knowing the healing process, I think you made a great call. Glad it went well. As an FYI, they did the MAZE while working on my heart and I have been A-Fib free since, (18 months). I had an ablation there 6 months or so before my surgery and have actually been A-Fib free since then.

Amazing place. I experienced what you did with some of the health care pros who helped me but all in all, a great experience for me getting fixed.

So happy yours went well.

Paul C.
Did you do a robotic or crack down the middle?

In my brain, I can still see the orderly across the hall right after surgery. He was pulling tubes out of someone else. I was begging him (coaxing him with my hand) to come over, but he wouldn't. It makes my wife laugh out loud every time she thinks about that.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:15 AM
Keeper

Default Surgery

Quote:
Did you do a robotic or crack down the middle?

In my brain, I can still see the orderly across the hall right after surgery. He was pulling tubes out of someone else. I was begging him (coaxing him with my hand) to come over, but he wouldn't. It makes my wife laugh out loud every time she thinks about that.
Hi Derwood, I was not as quick of a study as you were, open heart and then two days latter another open heart because of a blood clot in my lung and a kink in the new plumbing they installed. It should only count as one I guess because I never woke up.

My cardio doc here at home said I'd most likely not have survived if not at The Cleveland Clinic so I'm grateful!

Glad your doing great.

Paul C.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:29 AM
Wallhanger

Glad you’re on the mend and doing well. Good health is a treasure!!!
Live and die on this day......