Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Manipulating/Converting iPilot iTrack data? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-17-2021, 07:29 PM
Minnow

Default Manipulating/Converting iPilot iTrack data?

I really hate messing with mapping and GPS when I'm on the water. I have waypoints, tracks, routes, Spotlocks and iTracks saved on my Helix and none of them have helpful labels. I'm trying to clean up some of the clutter using Humminbird PC, Google Earth and some conversion tools. I've dropped waypoints and have tracks identifying routes I've used to get through some tough to navigate areas. No problem with any of that so far.

During this cleanup effort I decided to draw come paths in Google Earth. I was able to convert them to "Tracks" (.ht files) and get them onto my Helix. Ideally, I want my iPilot to drive the boat for me while I fish docks and weed lines. I know I can idle these areas and record them while I'm in the boat but I'd rather create them "off the water", label them something more meaningful than IT10032458 and use those next time. I had the previous tracks to use as reference to draw the waypoints and paths in Google Earth. I got them in the Helix as Tracks (.ht files) but I want them saved as iTracks (.hit files).

I noticed that Humminbird PC does not import iTrack data from the SD card to allow me to clean it up, re-label and what-not. I found others had asked Humminbird about this (years ago) according to various old forum messages. Humminbord confirmed the PC software did not import iTrack data (.hit files)...just the Humminbird Tracks (.ht files)

I'm trying to avoid trial and error so I have these questions:
1) I know and have seen demos where the iPilot uses the BackTrack feature which will follow the "most recent" Track. I haven't tried this but can I get iPilot to follow a Track or Route I have saved like it does with iTracks? (I don't think so...) If so, how do you do it?
2) Has anyone successfully used PC software and tools to convert paths, routes and and waypoints into saved iTracks for the iPilot Link to use? Again, I know I can record them while I'm on the water. I'm trying to make them at home on a map. If you know how, please share the steps you used.
3) Is there a way to edit and cleanup recorded iPilot iTracks at a PC rather than pushing buttons while sitting in the boat/on the water?

I suspect this will be yet another of those basic things Humminbird won't allow us to do. Thanks in advance if you can help!

Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N, Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA DI G3N ---2.440---
Terrova 80/iPilot Link/BT ---1.410--- Ethernet 5PXG ---4.200---
AutoChart and LakeMaster cards

[Rant=on]
I also use FishSmart on iPhone with ChartSelect maps. I have to ask...Why do they make us jump through so many darned hoops to accomplish the simplest things? It's nearly useless. After attempting to update my software and watching it try to load unsuccessfully from the iPhone (which was in the boat) to my Helix for 30 minutes over Bluetooth, I finally scrapped the whole idea and updated it using the SD cards.

Did you know if you're in the boat connected to your Helix with your phone via Bluetooth and you get a phone call and answer it without first disabling BT, the caller will not be able to hear you or you them (don't recall which) when you answer???? The nice lady at Humminbird warned me while we were talking to disconnect from the Helix units on my phone while we were talking. Really??? Show of hands...how many people have run into this 'feature'?
[Rant=off]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2021, 09:50 AM
Minnow

I kept digging and discovered I have to buy the AutoChart Pro software if I want to do this. This was on PP 19 of the AutoChart Pro manual:
Create tracks for i-Pilot Link
You can easily create a track for use with i-Pilot Link.
• To create an i-Pilot Link track from a contour: Hold down the right Ctrl key and double click the contour you want. The contour will now be highlighted. To export it to a track file, use Tools/Convert Selected Contour, and save in ‘i-Pilot Link HIT track (*.hit)’ format.
• To make an arbitrary shaped track, first create a line with Tools/Draw Line - select Marker line/Polyline as data type when saving the file. Your line will be saved in AutoChart .acd format. Then convert your .acd file to a .hit file using Tools/Convert Line to Track.

To load your line to your Humminbird unit:
1. Place the .hit file on a memory card in a folder named ‘MATRIX’.
2. Put the card in the unit after it has been turned on, you will be prompted to load the data.
I ordered the software (it's only money) but, if previous experience is an indication, I suspect the software won't import the paths I've already created and I'll have to draw them again. We'll see...
Old 03-23-2021, 01:34 PM
Keeper

Congratulations!

I need you in my boat to tell me how to run my electronics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2021, 02:39 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGregS View Post
Congratulations!

I need you in my boat to tell me how to run my electronics.
What gives you the idea I have any idea how to run them? LOL! I need someone in my boat to tell me how to catch walleyes. I'm not very good at that either.
Terrova 80/iPilot Link/BT ---1.410--- Ethernet 5PXG ---4.200---
AutoChart Pro and LakeMaster cards - FishSmart on iPhone with ChartSelect maps

Tags
data , gps , humminbird , ipilot link , minn kota