Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
10mm or ? - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2021, 08:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneLiane View Post
And a friend of mine, while working with a biologist deployed two full cans of spray on a bear without seeming effect. The bear never left.

It wasn’t “aggressive”, but was at distances of 10-30 yards checking them out (in my opinion, any wild large predator at 10-30 yards not leaving is aggressive).

At any rate, two full cans. My buddy had a bead on him for several minutes after the spray was all gone. The bear finally eased off to 50 yards and allowed them to augment the distance further.

Clearly the spray didn’t phase that bear in the least.

We came on a guy one fall who had just hosed down a bear and was retreating down the mountain with the bear following him 50-100 yards back. It wasn’t an attack, but was clearly a bear completely un-afraid of humans and not terribly deterred by spray.

I’ve never deployed spray nor bullet on one. But I’ve “broke leather” and talked one down a couple times.

Been a couple guys in MT that have hosed bears down only to still get swatted around.
No one ever said that bear spray - or anything else - is 100% effective. The point is that bear spray is more likely than a gun to produce a positive outcome for the people involved. It DOES have a high degree of effectiveness, and even better, that DOESN'T depend on it being aimed precisely.

Although some bear spray manufacturers claim otherwise for their products, the effective range for bear spray is typically around 15-30 FEET, NOT YARDS. It's meant to be used as A LAST RESORT ON A CHARGING BEAR - you know, like so many guys fantasize "needing" a gun for - not just because someone is unnerved by a bear being nearby. A biologist who is knowledgeable about bears would not endorse using bear spray in the manner that you said your friend did.

Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2021, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Boone - thank you for showing some credibility.
I have had quite a few at 10 yards and a few at 10 feet and a couple at one bear body length between us. I was able to talk down and use other methods to not need to shoot.
You are on about the practice. You seem like a guy I could get along with. Fun times.

I listed a few guns that we carry. One rifle, one shotgun, and two different handguns. We use the most appropriate for each situation.

Gbin - I never intended to say that I do not or will not carry spray. I do carry spray - and a gun. However the original poster asked about guns. If there is time and conditions are right, I would try the spray first - with my gun in my other hand.

Many guys lament about theoretically not being able to make the shot. Few people are expert marksmen without tremendous practice. That is why we practice a lot! The practice brings familiarity and great confidence.

I have heard many stories about the spray - good and bad. Likewise for guns. It is a very personal choice what a person carries based upon their abilities, philosophies, what they have, and the perceived risk.

Last edited by Ohio fisherman; 08-05-2021 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:29 PM
Wallhanger

Hmm black bears get pretty big in some areas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClexOj6S_OE

Ok more to watch one FTF shows how you better be prepared to clear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyIxSkJiBdU

Here is another comparison but the biggest note to me is to have a fully functioning weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCU-DjZv37E
Old 08-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Wallhanger

Here is another story of a bear attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQAhKrOOww
Old 08-05-2021, 04:00 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbin View Post
No one ever said that bear spray - or anything else - is 100% effective. The point is that bear spray is more likely than a gun to produce a positive outcome for the people involved. It DOES have a high degree of effectiveness, and even better, that DOESN'T depend on it being aimed precisely.

Although some bear spray manufacturers claim otherwise for their products, the effective range for bear spray is typically around 15-30 FEET, NOT YARDS. It's meant to be used as A LAST RESORT ON A CHARGING BEAR - you know, like so many guys fantasize "needing" a gun for - not just because someone is unnerved by a bear being nearby. A biologist who is knowledgeable about bears would not endorse using bear spray in the manner that you said your friend did

Gerry
You suggest waiting for a bear to get within 15-30 ft before deploying spray??? At that point the trigger on the hand cannon is starting to slip. Bear spray immobilizes the user more often than not. Bullets immobilizes the bear for good.

I have had black bear within 3 ft of me sitting in a ground blind while bear hunting so I don't unnerve easily. But I would never rely on bear spray to intimidate a bear. Stuff is like steak sauce for the bear. Bullets have been working good for hundreds of years. I'll stay with what I know is going to work
Old 08-05-2021, 04:11 PM
Keeper

I used to sleep with a bear. Corporal "Radar" O'Reilly
Old 08-05-2021, 04:13 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManDan View Post
Here is another story of a bear attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQAhKrOOww
i remember this, he was in the lee metcalf wilderness above the madison river, never got his gun pulled and went thru the spray... sometimes it will drop them, sometimes they'll run right thru it you just never know.. mama grizz with cubs won't take any crap
Old 08-05-2021, 05:31 PM
Wallhanger

I feel safe since Yogi and Booboo don't live in this state.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:05 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThe Woods View Post
You suggest waiting for a bear to get within 15-30 ft before deploying spray???...
No, I suggest using bear spray as it's meant to be used, to deter a CHARGING bear. Spraying a passive bear, even an unnervingly curious one, may actually provoke a charge as well as deplete one's supply of spray before the bear is within effective range.

Recommendations I have seen are to spray when the charging bear is within about 60 ft of you, or ASAP if the charging bear isn't detected until it's closer than that. Don't try to aim precisely, but a little downward and toward a point between you and the bear so that the bear runs into the resulting cloud en route to you. Keep spraying until the bear stops charging or you run out of spray, and hit the ground and cover up if the bear makes it to you; sometimes there's a bit of delay in the bear's response to the spray.

Again, this isn't ME saying to do such-and-such. This stuff has been laid out very well by folks in the know. One relevant website that I know of is run by the Be Bear Aware Campaign. Google them to get advice straight from a reputable source.

Likewise, it's not ME saying bear spray is more effective and reliable than a gun to protect yourself from an aggressive bear. It's the data. O fisherman mentioned that we all make our own personal choices. That's true, of course, but the people with the lowest ACTUAL - not perceived - risk, as determined by ACCUMULATED FACTUAL INFORMATION - not opinion (or irrational fear, or machismo) - are those who carry bear spray in a manner that enables them to take it in hand quickly, and who use it correctly when it's called for.

But as I said up front and repeatedly since, lots of guys will instead believe what they want to believe. I'm not foolish enough to waste my time trying to change their minds; I'm just making sure that better information is available to those who CAN be reached.

Gerry
Old 08-05-2021, 06:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThe Woods View Post
You suggest waiting for a bear to get within 15-30 ft before deploying spray??? At that point the trigger on the hand cannon is starting to slip. Bear spray immobilizes the user more often than not. Bullets immobilizes the bear for good.

I have had black bear within 3 ft of me sitting in a ground blind while bear hunting so I don't unnerve easily. But I would never rely on bear spray to intimidate a bear. Stuff is like steak sauce for the bear. Bullets have been working good for hundreds of years. I'll stay with what I know is going to work
that black bear you we're settin next to runs for his life when grizz is around.. myself i just listen to the elk guides in wyoming and montana and do what they say.. my advantage is i'm there most of the time in the summer and most are way up in the peaks eating moths when i'm there but come sep-oct its a different story.. theres a big difference when your hunting grizz with the big guns and he doesn't know your there vs he's hunting you and you don't know he's there... she's gonna take that gun from ya and shove it up your A$% call "swift creek outfitters" in wy and tell them your steak sause story