Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Tiller....... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-12-2021, 06:49 PM
Minnow

Default New Tiller.......

Been a while since I've been in a tiller (about 20 years actually).

I've been a Bass guy, hard core.

Yet, now, being a tad older (42), I am actually longing for my old guiding days on LOTW and being a multi-species angler. I love big walleye on crankbaits (casting). I love Muskie fishing.

Now, living in Wisconsin, I am really thinking of putting my Bass tournaments behind me and going all in on the North Country species.

With that, I am between either a Lund Pro Guide 2075 with the 'Merc or the Alumacraft Competitor 205 with the Yamaha.

Thoughts/preferences from those who have run both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2021, 07:39 PM
Minnow

The dudes here are hardcore Lund. just fyi
Old 09-12-2021, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

I personally have been in both of those boats and I would take a Warrior or a Yarcraft 20 footer any day to a tin boat especially if your going to be fishing big water. When you’re out on those lakes and the wind picks up and you have a long run to make you will be so happy that you decided to go glass! JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2021, 07:49 AM
Slot Fish

I would personally seriously consider checking out Backtroller Boats. This is an interesting company that will custom build you a tiller boat.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiMinneye View Post
I personally have been in both of those boats and I would take a Warrior or a Yarcraft 20 footer any day to a tin boat especially if your going to be fishing big water. When you’re out on those lakes and the wind picks up and you have a long run to make you will be so happy that you decided to go glass! JMO
I agree that glass is a better ride.

That said, it's more maintenance and in rocky lakes limits your abilities to pull up on shore etc.

I'd stay with aluminum if I'm guiding and I'd add the Kingfisher Flex tiller to your search.

My preference is the Alumacraft if you're going between Lund and Alumacraft but there are all welded options like Kingfisher that are better yet imo.

As for the tiller, both engines are great.

Marshall
Old 09-14-2021, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

TMR,
What are you looking at, horsepower-wise? I'll admit that I haven't been following the Yamaha tiller power steering saga lately, and while Uflex offers the "locking" system up to a 200hp Yamaha, I think Mercury is still the only one providing a power-assist option for the higher-hp outboards.

HRG