Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bilge Pump Wizard Needed - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-28-2021, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man164 View Post
It is wired to the switch wiring?

Is it a dual position switch with an auto setting and an on setting?
The switch, on the dash, is 2 position, either off, or on. When the boat is on the water, I turn the switch on. Then the pump doesn't run until the float causes it to turn on(when it is working properly).

In the garage, I turn the switch to on, and then go and lift the float, and the pump runs.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2021, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

My guess is float is bad if you push it up and it works more than likely the float is not being raised by the water have had the same problem in the past new switch and all good. Bilge pump sits in a lousy environment any kind of gunk can build up and make it stick.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoop52 View Post
My guess is float is bad if you push it up and it works more than likely the float is not being raised by the water have had the same problem in the past new switch and all good. Bilge pump sits in a lousy environment any kind of gunk can build up and make it stick.
Float was in up position, my son tried to get it higher, it was as high as it would go, and would not turn on.

REW - yeah I realize option B(manual)would be a good solution, however I don't want to rewire, etc. My present setup has worked for me in the past, would just like to have it back to normal on my 20 year old boat.

Bill
Old 09-28-2021, 07:33 PM
Keeper

Why not raiss the bow at home on the trailer, put water in the bilge till the float rises, and see if the pump comes on. That way you can verify if its loosing continuity due to the water...

But I agree with REW, you need a three position switch OR have the float wire go directly to the battery switch and have a two position switch at the dash. That way you can turn it on or off regardless of the float position.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2021, 03:56 AM
Wallhanger

is it possible that you had a small piece of trash hung in the float switch that kept it from working?
Old 09-29-2021, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by last chance View Post
is it possible that you had a small piece of trash hung in the float switch that kept it from working?
Ya, it is possible, except my son lifted the float(it was already up) and it didn't turn on the pump. I'll go ahead and get a new float switch. Thanks for all the thoughts, folks, we all know we can count on a whole bunch of help when an issue is shared!!!

Bill
Old 09-29-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Bill,
Do yourself a favor.
If you are replacing the pump switch, take an extra 30 minutes and install a new 3-position switch with one extra wire and be better prepared for troubles.

Best wishes
Old 09-30-2021, 04:42 PM
Wallhanger

Bill... Since it is apparently wired right....I think I'd get a new auto bilge pump
Old 10-01-2021, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
Bill... Since it is apparently wired right....I think I'd get a new auto bilge pump
Yeah, great idea. I ordered a new float switch, tho! Thanks for the great thought!

Bill
Old 10-01-2021, 03:33 PM
Wallhanger

Advantage of having a on off switch for the bilge pump only. Separate power wire for the float. Is allot of times the float is not setup to let the motor suck all the water out to the bottom of the boat. You can manually turn the bilge on to get as much water out as possible. Plus if the float sticks or stops working you can take the fuse out of that power wire. Or put a second switch in. That way you still could manually turn the pump on and off. If you had that setup. You could have still used the pump to empty the boat out. Even if the float was not working. All the new boats are normally setup with manually controlled switch on dash. Then float power goes direct to battery.