Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Snowblower suggestions - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2021, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

David,
Years ago, I bought a 2-stage Bolens which has the differential in it that you mention.
A year ago, I picked up a 2-stage Troy-Built which is virtually the same blower as my Bolens, except that it is a different color.

John Deere also used the identical differential in their snow blowers for many years.

I suspect that the differentials are no longer being used due to cost, but they simply work better than any thing else on the market.

Bottom line - virtually all of the Name Brand snow blowers on the market today do a very good job to move snow. If you have a lot of snow to move and long driveways, by all means go with bigger motors and wider blowers. It will make your chores shorter.

I see that Ariens now sells a blower model with a motor that is equipped with Electronic fuel injection. I am sure that it is fine and works very well, but then there is a battery on the blower that needs to be maintained to provide the power for the EFI system. Is it worth the extra $100 for the EFI - your choice.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

I have an Ariens 28" blower. It has easy steer which unlocks the differential when you turn it and then locks it again when you apply power again. For those with an incline, there is a weight kit which bolts to the front of it which holds the front down. It also helps keep the auger from climbing when blowing wet snow.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:05 PM
Wallhanger

I can't recommend the current Ariens snowblowers, because I know nothing about them. The Ariens 2-stage I bought in 1978 is still running, still blows snow as well as ever. For a 2.7 horse Tecumseh engine, it moves snow very well!
Old 10-02-2021, 07:20 PM
Slot Fish

I have had both toro and ariens, i had good luck with both, way more plastic on the toro which i didnt love, but nothing ever broke so maybe my old school beliefs about metal and plastic dont hold water anymore, my philosophy on snow blowers is go big or go home, I want to clear my driveway with ease on the worst snowstorm of the year, comes with the cost of being bigger and heavier. My former neighbor had a puny single stage snow blower and he worked his *** off to clear his driveway, probably took him 5x as long.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:28 AM
Minnow

Check the prices on paying someone first. About the 3rd time you are getting up at 4am just to fight with the weather and the snow blower, you'll wonder what paying someone costs.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:17 AM
Minnow

Honda 2 stage. I’d look at the 9hp 28” one as the 7hp 24” takes too many passes to clear my 33’ wide driveway. The hydrostat and right/left brake levers make it very easy to operate. I bought the wheeled version and for my relatively flat driveway I don’t need tracks. And yeah, electric start is standard on these models.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:19 PM
Keeper

20+ years in the lawn & garden business - Toro, Honda or Ariens, all good well established brands. They have all really improved their engines from the old days.
Do you homework, see what features you want, check the warranties and most of all ask around about the local servicing dealers.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:25 PM
Wallhanger

Iím surprised by all the love for the Ariens, my local dealer and good friend dropped them a few years ago because they were junk compared To their older models. He sells Hondaís and husquvarna now and he only carries the husquvarnas for a cheap option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2021, 02:15 PM
Wallhanger

I live in Northern MN and close enough to Lake Superior that I have to move between 80 and 100 inches of snow each year. I'd say I have to use it 30 to 40 times a year to move two to four inches of snow and a few large snow falls. I've had a Simplicity which was great, then a John Deer which was junk and sold it off after two years. I replaced it an Ariens which has been and excellent performer for the past 10 years. Get an Ariens and you will be good for many years to come.

P.S. I was just at the outdoor equipment store picking up some line for my trimmer and the guys there said supplies of snowblowers are limited so don't wait too long.

Last edited by Baseline; 10-03-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 04:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
I live in Northern MN and close enough to Lake Superior that I have to move between 80 and 100 inches of snow each year. I'd say I have to use it 30 to 40 times a year to move two to four inches of snow and a few large snow falls. I've had a Simplicity which was great, then a John Deer which was junk and sold it off after two years. I replaced it an Ariens which has been and excellent performer for the past 10 years. Get an Ariens and you will be good for many years to come.

P.S. I was just at the outdoor equipment store picking up some line for my trimmer and the guys there said supplies of snowblowers are limited so don't wait too long.

So I should discount the climate change? It's really going to snow in Northern Minnesota? How depressing.