Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
1993 Lund Pike Rebel 16 Boat Restoration Project - Page 25 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 07:31 PM
Slot Fish

Default winch strap

The strap is 20 ft. long. I pulled it out all the way today and it went all the to the stern plus 3-4 feet beyond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2021, 06:16 PM
Minnow

there's a website called tinboats dot net that I have looked to in the past for lots of great info and ideas. I'm working on a crestliner right now of similar vintage. complete strip and rebuild. next in line is a lund american (Unless I sell it) and then who knows. I've done 5 restorations of varying degree in the past. they are fun and consume time and money. great project to have the kids help on, they love it! I just finished the transom, plywood laminate reinforced with fiberglass and epoxy resin for waterproofing. next I need to tighten rivets (maybe) if they need it, then flip her over onto saw horses and repaint while I rebuild the trailer. it will be like new when I'm done

What spreads the pandemic is a dense population.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:20 PM
Slot Fish

Default some minor improvements

I noticed a nicked up ground wire near my coupler, repaired it and added some new conduit to protect my repair. Also added conduit to a section of exposed wire at the trailer mid-section.

Added 2 tight fitting rubber bungees to act as transom savers.

Added new parachute line and aluminum carabiners to make it faster and easier to secure my travel cover.

I am wondering if I should install new springs this year? I am still running the original 3 leaf slipper springs. I took it to a trailer service shop and the guy told me "I will replace them if you want, but if it was my trailer I wouldn't replace them until they break". He thinks they look pretty good?

I called Karavan (they built my Noreaster trailer) and sent them pics of my springs and the guy on the phone said "that's just a protective coating of rust". In mind mind, 28 year old rusted springs are a liability? What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28 year old slipper springs 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	329564   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring conduit 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	329566   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring conduit 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	329568   Click image for larger version

Name:	improved cover straps 1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	329570   Click image for larger version

Name:	transom saver 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	329572  

Old 09-29-2021, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

The springs are the only thing that holds the axle in position, if one breaks, your restoration project could sustain some real damage.

Springs are cheap, replace them.

HRG
Old 10-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Slot Fish

Default Nailed another big Smallmouth and a bunch of nice crappies

Was using ultra light rod with 4lb line and caught this 20 3/4 inch bass. Not sure what it weighed but I caught a 23 incher years ago and it weighed 5 1/2 pounds. I think this one was pretty close to that...around 4-5 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big Smallie.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	329648  
Old 10-08-2021, 06:59 PM
Slot Fish

Default More big ones

Caught about 20 fish in 2 hours after work, has been like that a lot lately, nailed a 19 inch smallmouth that was really fat thru the belly and and crappie that was almost 16 inches long and very fat, fought like a good sized smallie. They really seem to like jigs topped with mealworms or a small piece of nightcrawler. I used to tip my jigs with minnies but is much cheaper to use mealies and pieces of worms,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19 inch smallie very fat.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	329786   Click image for larger version

Name:	another big smallie.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	329788   Click image for larger version

Name:	huge crappie.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	329792   Click image for larger version

Name:	16 inch crappie 2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	329794  
Old 10-30-2021, 03:21 PM
Slot Fish

Default built and outboard motor stand

I have been looking for a way around winterizing my new motor. Decided to build a outboard motor stand on wheels and mount the motor on that and wheel it into my garage for the winter. My garage isn't heated but has one warm wall and nothing freezes. Every couple of weeks I will roll the motor out and run it for 10 minutes, should keep the cylinders all lubed up and the fuel system clean and ready. The pic shows the outboard stand almost finished, still need to add the wheels. The stand is tall enough to handle my 20 inch shaft and the base is wide enough to slide a large garbage can under my motor to use as a run tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	outboard motor stand 1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	330134  
Old 10-30-2021, 07:04 PM
Slot Fish

Default merc mariner on the new outboard stand/dolly

I tested the stand for balance using my back up motor, seems stable and rolls easily in and out of the garage. Might have to build a 2nd stand so both motors have one. The transom on the stand is the same height as the transom on my boat so no heavy lifting to get it on or off the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	merc mariner on the new stand.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	330146  

Last edited by LundPikeRebel16; 10-30-2021 at 07:05 PM. Reason: error typo
Old 11-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Slot Fish

Default Winterizing

Pulled my Tohatsu off the boat, will be stored in my garage all winter, with my Merc/Mariner. Will leave the electric motor on the boat just in case I decide to go out again before the lake freezes. Boat has a full support system under the covers with extra reinforcement (wood slats with PVC pipe, totally different than the one I had pics of in here years ago. I put 2 identical plastic tarps on the boat this year.

My plan is to keep the Tohatsu ready all winter by running it every 2 weeks in my barrel. No more fogging the engine. Winter can be 4 months or more here and I want the motor 100 percent ready to go at all times. I will be on the water as soon as the lake thaws.

If any of you recall, I had trouble with the carb on the old Merc and ended up with the new motor because of it. A few weeks ago I decided I had nothing to lose and ran a 1:1 ratio of non ethanol gas and seafoam thru the engine while spraying an entire can of seafoam spray down the throat of the carb. Took about 20 minutes to get it done.

The amount of mud that came out of the engine was ridiculous...2 strokes are truly filthy engines. It was so bad I was afraid to use the barrel again until I scrubbed it with dawn. It looked like I painted the inside of the barrel and lower unit with greasy mud. The good news is, it worked! The next day I went to the lake with a fresh tank of non ethanol gas, 50:1 oil mix with some stabilizer and it ran as if it were brand new. I ended up running it back and forth across the lake for an hour to make sure it was cleaned out, and parked it back in the garage for the winter. It is well oiled now and full of stabilizer.

Ordered a new tank and lines for the Merc as well...not happy with the old ones. The original tank breathes to vent and I always smell gas and can see some gas leaking around the vent. The new attwood eco tank I bought a few years blows up like a balloon unless I unscrew the cap a turn, and then I see some gas leaking out thru the threads...all bad. The new tank and lines I bought look just like the one that came on my Tohatsu, which works perfect. I also like the 3 gallon size, only want small amounts in the tank, amounts I can burn up fast so no more stale gas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winterized my boat 2021.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	330312  
Old 11-18-2021, 06:34 PM
Slot Fish

Default built a 2nd outboard stand/dolly

Bored and looking for something to do with my boat/motors...Anyone have an opinion on storing motors "wet" (fuel in system ready all year around). I used to run my motors dry as I came off the lake. Now that I run them every week or two. I will leave them wet...real gas and stabilizer in the system all year round. I have a feeling I will be a lot better off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tohatsu and merc warm and dry 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	330440   Click image for larger version

Name:	tohatsu and merc warm and dry 4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	330442  

Tags
fishing , floatation , flooring , lund , repair