Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
DHL ever disappoint you? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I work in the transportation industry. I would not be concerned with a declared value resulting in more exposure to theft. I would spend all of my time trying to figure out how to package the sentimental valued product in such a way that it is IMPOSSIBLE to damage. Picture a gorilla in a cage with your package. If it is packaged to survive the gorilla, it will arrive to you in the desired condition a very high percentage of time.

If you package it poorly, kiss it goodbye. It will arrive damaged. Small to medium sized package companies will load, cross-dock, load again, cross-dock again, several times. Exposure to damage should be your primary concern. As compared to full truckload transportation, the product loads onto a trailer one time, and stays there until it arrives at a destination. Being an international shipment, there is likely air transportation / handling as well. Lots of on and off the transit vehicle prior to it arriving to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2021, 05:24 PM
Wallhanger

Coming from someone in the industry says a lot. Rods were packed PVC waterpipe so should be good unless TSA open it and just jam it back in than the bamboo rods wouldn’t make it. As for the reels, generous bubble wraps with beach towel over them. Hope the gorilla is not angry these few days. Arriving tomorrow, finger crosse......
Old 02-24-2021, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

DHL was hit or mis about a decade ago
We were manufacturing seven channel home theater amplifiers in Canada
We would truck them across the border to a distribution center that we contracted to ship our orders.

These were just over 100 pound amplifiers.
I can't tell you how many times the drivers would leave the product at the end of a customer's driveway, or leave them three feet from a covered front door entry, they would leave them five feet away in the rain. It never made sense, just move them a couple more feet out of the elements.
We paid good money to them due to the size & weight

Sometimes they were great
No idea how they are now, I gave up using them long ago
Old 02-27-2021, 04:18 PM
Keeper

My pet peeves recently have been with Federal Express. My wife gets chemo meds shipped from Houston. The med company called her last Friday and said her meds would be delayed because of the weather. They then called her on Monday and said her meds would be shipped overnight on Tuesday. On Tuesday the meds were shipped but went from Houston to Memphis. On Wednesday they went from Memphis to Houston. Thursday back to Memphis. They finally arrived on Friday evening. I could never get an answer why the back and forth shipments.

Last summer I shipped two rods and reels from AZ to IN. When I went to the FedEx office I was told that the shipment should arrive in four days. Being extra careful I shipped the fishing equipment 10 days earlier. It took 14 days for the goods to arrive. Once again no explanation for the delay.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:50 PM
Slot Fish

Always use UPS if you want it to arrive on time and in good condition. FedEx is absolutely the worst carrier in the business. DHL is to hit and miss, pay for UPS
Old 10-13-2021, 08:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly boat View Post
Always use UPS if you want it to arrive on time and in good condition. FedEx is absolutely the worst carrier in the business. DHL is to hit and miss, pay for UPS

I have the opposite issue. UPS left a $40,000.00 oscilloscope in front of my garage door, about 40' from the road. They could have dropped it 5' east and put it behind a courtyard door. It had a signature verification request as well, and they just left it. Fedex guys put the package by my front porch, and ring the bell.

I think it is just luck-of-the-draw depending on who your delivery guy is.

By far, the worst of the worst for me is USPS.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:16 AM
Wallhanger

A few minutes ago, a FedEx guy pulled into our driveway loop in front of our house, pulled 2 boxes which I happen to know each weigh around 60 lb out of the back of his truck, let them free-fall from there to the pavement rather than lower them to the ground and then drove off leaving them there in the middle of the driveway such that no one else could pass until we go out and remove them. I was seated here at the computer in our library where I could see everything out the window.

We definitely have way more problems with FedEx these days than with any other carrier, but as I mentioned previously, it has varied over the years as to which is the worst and just how bad they are.

Gerry
Old 10-14-2021, 11:54 AM
Wallhanger

I don't have a problem with DHL, UPS or USPS. UPS and USPS put packages on the porch behind our house. FedEx either puts them on the front steps or a couple other addresses around town. I became acquainted with the people at the other addresses due to FedEx delivering my packages to them. I also get items shipped to them at my address. We just call each other when something gets delivered to the wrong address or take the item to them.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

I can understand the value to you in terms of the sentimentality involved. I wouldn't put a high values on the rods, for duty considerations, if made in Japan/China, as historically most rods made there are not considered as prizes by collectors. This is not to in any way devalue them for their sentimental value, but there is little need to have to pay a higher than realistic duty to get them into the country. As you may be aware, split bamboo rods are susceptible to high humidly and heat, so they need to be stored accordingly, I suggest studying up on their care to preserve them, hopefully transport will not be a negative factor while getting them to you in good shape. Good luck, could be a nice remembrance of your relative.

Bill
Old 10-15-2021, 05:35 AM
Wallhanger

I've never actually used DHL to ship because we don't have a DHL near us. but I have had a few deliveries before. everything was great. never had a glitch when something shipped with DHL. I've had good service with UPS and FED X has been great for me. I've never lost anything shipped by either of them. DHL is as professional as UPS or FED X