Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Less Expected Posts This Winter - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 10-21-2021, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Less Expected Posts This Winter

I expect less "what happened this trip" posts over the winter, due to the reduction this year (and last) because of border closing. In the past, folks sometimes get too busy immediately after their trip north, but find time to share their trip experiences later during the winter slow time. Since so many did not go this shortened season, it appears posts have already slacked off. 'Jis sayin'.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2021, 08:06 AM
Minnow

I’ve noticed the lack of posts too. For us since the border has opened we’ve been busy both enjoying being back on the lake and working on all the cottage projects that we’ve dreamt up over the last 18 months. I like reading the trip recap posts so I’ll put one out there for others that may like reading them as well.

So far we’ve made 4 trips across the border. There has been lots of info on the mechanics of border crossing, I’ll avoid all the details and just say they’ve been really easy. However two weeks ago I got selected for the random test. Border agent hands me the blue box and says ‘follow directions’ – see ya later! No problem – except the camera on my phone stopped working so the nice folks at Switch Health couldn’t see me circle my nostrils for 15 seconds. After some reattempts she just made a note on her computer she couldn’t visually verify. The only thing I can say is that she didn’t think there would be a drop box for the completed tests in Rainy River because it is so small (she was wrong it is right next to the highway). I’m betting there are drop boxes close to every crossing.

On to the fishing – generally speaking it has been really good, but unpredictable. Water temps have been pretty consistently higher than expected, and we couldn’t always count on mid lake summer spots or a fall patterns. It all depended on the day and area we were fishing, but we always found good fishing just by being flexible. I’m learning that wind has a far greater impact than I ever gave it credit on LOW – but for unexpected reasons. Wind on the large open bodies of water can actually reverse or enhance currents to a degree that fish seem to be in spots on windy days just because of the current fluctuations. On a very windy day one narrow area we tried actually had current flowing backwards, and on that given day the fish were piled in along a shoreline that hasn’t produced since. I’ve never considered the wind impact on currents, just tried to get out of the wind to find fishable spots.

Water levels remain low, and algae growth was high in many areas, but never really seems to impact anything.

Weather has been turning colder, shot a few ducks and getting things ready for ice season. Really looking forward to that.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
I expect less "what happened this trip" posts over the winter, due to the reduction this year (and last) because of border closing. In the past, folks sometimes get too busy immediately after their trip north, but find time to share their trip experiences later during the winter slow time. Since so many did not go this shortened season, it appears posts have already slacked off. 'Jis sayin'.

Bill
Not to be disrespectful, but I think there are fewer posts because of the heavy handedness of the mods during the border shutdown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2021, 09:39 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakefish View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but I think there are fewer posts because of the heavy handedness of the mods during the border shutdown.
Partially. Some posters also showed their true colors and reasons for being here.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakefish View Post
Nah....the Mods have just been enforcing the site rules that are clearly outlined. Keeping the “ naughty kids “ in line by putting them in a short time out , or a nuked thread, is a mild way of keeping things from spinning out of control where folks still do want to frequent this site for good information.

Yep, I’m sure I have skirted the edge of being put in “time out “many a time, which is a me problem, but I respect the process that the site continues to monitor daily so we do have a site like this to visit and learn from.

The way I see it......this site is no different than Facebook with the exception of one thing. The Mods on this site are not paid and do it voluntarily. On Facebook, they have an entire paid group on staff to monitor posts that do not conform to the site’s rules.

Just some random thoughts on the subject.....not that they are correct by any stretch of my feeble imagination.

PjShorthorn

Last edited by pjshorthorn; 10-21-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:50 AM
Wallhanger

I think the numbers are dwindling. Covid was a major setback but look at the camps and docks and >80% of who I see grew up with Vinyl records, pumping leaded has, drinking from a garden hose and 3:2 beer just to date ourselves.

It’s so special to be up there but the future wave wants All Inclusive, WiFi, health club and other BS (probably a Participation Trophy) that I don’t see a backfill replacing the originals who no longer can hack the journey due to age.

When I was up there this September a guy asked the owner if he’s doing the All Canada Show and he said for the expense and he’s got Covid carryovers it’s not feasible.

This is a great forum to hear other's trips, experiences and thoughts along with meeting some people. I enjoy reading this site in the fall tree stand to pass time and after deer season then it’s a slow crawl to ice out.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:12 AM
Keeper

There's less and less of the old timer crews. Who's gonna fill their shoes?.

Last edited by Da' Walleye Assassun; 10-21-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:45 AM
Wallhanger

another thing i always notice is all the infrastucture everywhere no matter where you go, bull shoals lake in akansas, still has old wooden docks everywhere that fit the boats of the old days, 6ft wide, east into tenn, kentucky,, down in arkanasas, north into minnesota and on up into canada, all the resorts and lodging on those 100's of lakes is older than dirt, its like the older boys went overseas, whipped everybody, came home and started the good life on all the lakes, and by 1975 all the building stopped
Old 10-21-2021, 12:00 PM
Wallhanger

I’m hoping everyone is saving the good stuff for the dead of winter,if not we’ll get something going on in here.There are plenty of clever minds on this site
Old 10-21-2021, 12:21 PM
Minnow

Smile Eckohlt

Speaking of which...Mr. Eckohlt, we are still awaiting a very detailed trip report(s) from your trip(s) this fall.