Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trailering Mishap - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Wallhanger

Default Trailering Mishap

Yesterday, on the return trip from a long weekend of fishing in Wisconsin's North Woods, I had an experience I would prefer not to repeat. Coming off a stop sign, into a right turn, I felt a bump. I completed the turn and pulled over to have a look to be sure all was well. It wasn't. The ball mount insert had come out of the receptacle and the trailer was resting on the spare tire. The hitch pin and clip were nowhere to be found.

At this point, I have to hand it to the rural Wisconsinites, Packer fans though they might be. With the family, the dog and myself on the side of the road scratching our heads (okay, the dog wasn't scratching her head) no fewer than five motorists pulled over to offer help. One went to his home nearby and pulled his pin and clip from his truck and came back with a roller jack, got us quickly on our way. I paid him some for his efforts, but I certainly appreciated the effort.

I can't figure out what happened to that pin. Did the clip sheer off? Or, did somebody take it while I wasn't looking? I had towed the boat all the way up on the 400 mile trip without incident and had not removed the hitch assembly while there. The Trailblazer was parked most of the weekend next to the remote cabin in the woods (a few excursions by the wife while there). Not a lot of opportunity for mischief, I would think.

What I would like to know is this: Is it at sll common for those hair pin/clips to break, causing the pin to rattle its way out? Seems dangerous, if that's the case. Is there a good locking pin that any of you can recommend?

Lesson learned: I have been towing boats for decades and have never had anything like this occur. But, from here on out, I will always check that all components of the hitch assembly are properly installed at each stop. Before leaving a gas station, wayside, wherever. It will become part of the routine checklist.
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Wallhanger

I use this:
http://www.masterlock.com/products/p...etails/2848DAT
Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks Andre, lloks like that might work. And I can get it locally. I appreciate your help!
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Checking at every stop is a good idea. Make sure when you hitch the trailer to the truck you take a look while plugging in and doing the safety chains. BTW, I noticed in your post you said the trailer hit the pavement on the spare tire. If so your safety chains were not correctly hooked. Your chains need to be crossed so they cradle the tongue of the trailer in the event you come loose from the truck like yours did. This is to prevent the tongue from digging into the pavement and flipping everything. Fortunately you were at slow speeds and not out on a a major highway / freeway where real havoc could of occured.

Kudo's to everyone who stopped and helped!!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Wallhanger

Dutch,

The chains were crossed, as I always have them. The chains were tight, and the tongue was not resting on the ground. I might need to shorten the chains a couple of links to compensate for the spare tire placement though. I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Waterboy,
What kind of hitch pin and clip were you using to hold the receiver into your tow vehicle hitch?

Was it the type that had groove all around one end of the pin, and the hair pin had two circular bends to fit into the groove?

Or did the hitch pin have a hole in the end of it, and a hair pin that had one straight side and the other side having a loop that fit over the side of the hitch pin?

If you had the first type - that could be your problem.
Some years ago, I was using that style pin - i.e. the type pin with the groove in it. I lost two pins and hitches as a result of using that style pin.

I then switched to the pin style that used a hole in the end of it, with a hair pin that goes through the hole and slips over the side of the pin.
I have never had an issue with that type pin.

This is the style hitch pin that I prefer:

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...-pin-and-clip/

This is the style hitch pin - with which I lost two different hitches:
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Access...Hitch/PC3.html

REW
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Wallhanger

REW, it was the pin with the hole at the end. It was a snug fit too, so I can't imagine it would just come out, unless it broke. But I've been using the same type for years without anything like this happening. The hitch is fairly new too, and removed and stored when not in use (except I leave it in while on trips).

I tell ya, after this, I think I'm ready for a locking pin. And I'll still check it at every stop. Just one more item on the list.

Thanks for your reply. I've learned a lot from your posts.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Wallhanger

For my part I prefer to lock the coupler & the receiver

Last edited by Andre (wallyandre); 09-06-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Slot Fish

wb- We've had similar incidents a couple of years ago when punks in the Toronto area were pulling out receiver pins as a joke. Hilarious, huh? They must have thought it was as funny as throwing rocks off an overpass. Led some of us to start checking the length of our chains & also how deep the drawbar goes into the receiver. Found that in most cases you can shorten up your chains & still have full swing. Unless you have a shallow drawbar the chains could very well hold it inside the receiver even if the pin is gone. If not, possibly a deeper bar? Even if its only an inch or so at least it lets you pull over & fix it. Also check your chain mount location on the trailer itself. They vary on each trailer & they should be as far away from the tongue as possible. The other major contributor to trailer loss is the coupler jumping off the ball. A Shur-Tow unit will prevent that from happening. The inner mechanism of the coupler can sometimes get "sprung" & not get a full bite on the ball. A lock in the clasp does NOT prevent this. Couplers jump off all the time & we only hear about it when someone gets hurt. (or killed). Everybody has a story & they all have the same line. " Lucky it didn't happen when......" Check out the Shur-Tow unit. Very effective & definitely gives you peace of mind

Last edited by perchjerker; 09-06-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: no web links. You know better
Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 AM
Slot Fish

What direction was the pin installed? It's my understanding that road design/crowning will pull the hitch pin naturally towards the shoulder. The fixed/bent side should be on the drivers side otherwise the clip would be pulled into the reciever and can be sheared off causing the pin to come out.

Tags
hitch , pin , trailer