Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
seeking opinions before I buy my next boat this year - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Minnow

Default seeking opinions before I buy my next boat this year

I just moved to Madison and want to spend time on the local and state waters. I have owned several aluminum boats and have liked each of them for various reasons.

I intend to purchase my next boat this winter or spring. It will be aluminum. I will use it for fishing and also as a pleasure boat to take my toddler granddaughter out on the water (and maybe pull in a tube some ay).

I am a senior retiree and reasonably physically able. I am thinking 15'-16'. I want an open boat with bench seats and maybe walk-throughs. I think about 25 hp will do. I want tiller control and electric start with power trim and tilt. Some storage would be a plus. I would like a trolling motor and fish finder.

I intend to trailer the boat and park it on my property. My budget is $4K - $7K and would like to buy a used boat. I have no preference for make of boat.

All suggestions and opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks (anyone got one to sell?)

Last edited by rancocasrich; 02-03-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

It sounds like a Lund SSV would work nicely for you. There should be a lot of used boats out there of that size.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM
Keeper

Sent PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Keeper

My 2 cents -The local waters are large and can whip up pretty good in a storm / with wind. Go 16-17 with maybe a little more hp. Some local dealers I know that carry used and I feel have sme reutable staffing are Jerry's Sport Service in Beloit, Harbor Recreation in Milton and Rock River Marina. There are several other dealers in the area, but I have not personally had much experience with them, which does not mean they are poor. Don't forget WC classified, craigslist or lake-link.com. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Wallhanger

You might have some trouble finding a 25 hp motor with electric start and power trim and tilt. Not that many years ago my dad was looking and their was not many offered in that HP range. Their is some new Engines that now offer this. Used market it might be tough to find. Think about what waters you are mainly going to fish. That will have allot to do with how big a boat you want. As my dad got older he just wanted a flat floor 14 foot boat. He did not want a electric motor on the front that he would have to flip down. He just has one in the back of the boat. That way he could fish from the same back seat and control gas and electric motors.
Easier launch and load with the smaller boat.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Slot Fish

I let my boys try to tube with my 25hpMerc, They could not get the tube to ride on top of the water. May want a bigger motor for tubing, I do not have a problem on Mendota or Lake Wisconsin, except time to get across the lakes, its slow.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 AM
Slot Fish

A 15-16' aluminum will be plenty for the Madison chain. The larger lakes (Mendota, Monona) have launches on multiple shores, so you don't need to worry about getting caught out unless you're careless. Lots of used boats, check craigslist, ask at Dorn's on midvale. Pick something that will be easy for you to launch and load.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Keeper

Default Try and talk this guy down....its pretty close.

https://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/47289
90hp Mercury ELPT EFI Four Stroke
Minn Kota 55 PowerDrive V2 with i-Pilot
Humminbird 798ci SI
Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Minnow

tythepilot, thanks for the tip. I did send him a message. The boat looks very nice but I am reluctant to go 14'. The next boat has to seat 5 people max. I will find out when he replies.

The forum folk are being a big help in my search. thanks

Please keep the ideas coming
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Keeper

Default My recommendation

I owned a Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk tiller with a 75 HP Mariner. That boat handled big water like it was much larger, it was super easy to load and tow, and it pulled a tube with ease. 90 inch beam made the boat very stable. Mine was a 1997 model and I sold it for $7000.00 4 or 5 years ago. They also made a side counsel that was rated for 90 HP. There is nothing wrong with a 16' boat, but when the waves come from out of nowhere and you have a grandchild aboard, a 17.5 foot becomes a welcome upgrade. Just my opinion.

Tags
25hp , aluminum , boat , electric