Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Need advice for hauling boat behind 5th wheel camper - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Pullin Pete

Default Pullin

First Make sure of your over all length limits. 75' in Manitoba here more than likely
the same where you are. Maybe all states don't allow pulling triples , For example we can
pull them in Manitoba and Saskatchewan but not in Ontario. What ever 5th you buy
make sure it has a full frame . My 5th is a 2003 KZ Industry's 25 footer and its heavy for its size.
My dealer at the time was the one who installed the class 3 hitch for me and they had no concerns.
So it might be worth checking out a KZ I'm just not sure how they build them now . Good luck to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Wallhanger

I replied to your post on the RV.Net site. You can see it there. We have be "double" towing since 1993 with two different FWs and boats weighing anywhere from 1,900 pounds with its trailer to 5,000 pounds with its trailer and no problems. The 5,000 boat was a 22' salt water fishing that was 22' feet long. Here in Wyoming the total length is 85' I believe and all towed "vehicles" must have brakes. As far a hitch weight is concerned, I believe hooking a boat at the back of the FW will probably lighten the hitch weight a bit, at least in my experience. However, in my case, it doesn't seem to "upset the apple cart" as someone above suggested.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Keeper

In Minnesota and Wisconsin the boat trailer do not need brakes don't know about Iowa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Wallhanger

Several years ago I witnessed a person trying to launch their boat while double trailered. After quite a wait I didn't stay to find out what happened.

This brings me to the question: None of you here would be stupid enough to try and launch your boat while double trailered but what do you do if you pull into some place while riding to your destination and have to backup amongst regular traffic?
Patient and watchful, nor denies
Any by reason of its size.

And I too, on some careless day,
Shall feel the hook I had not guessed;
And shall try to break away,
And go, after brief protest,
Into the basket, with all the rest.

-Robert Bell
Old 01-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

Paulie try to avoid that situation at all costs. pick and choose how you approach everything, fuel, food, and make sure to leave yourself a forward out.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:19 PM
dmchappy

Smile towing 5th wheel

i ve towed double bottom for 15 Years keep all units level , any dipping up or down adds to sway. Keep the speed down, the boat doesn't add any more space needed to turn around. I turn My 31' with 1860 ranger around in three lanes with out a back up. Also a little practice backing isnt that hard, drive like You have a big rig not a car.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin Pete View Post
First Make sure of your over all length limits. 75' in Manitoba here more than likely
the same where you are. Maybe all states don't allow pulling triples , For example we can
pull them in Manitoba and Saskatchewan but not in Ontario. What ever 5th you buy
make sure it has a full frame . My 5th is a 2003 KZ Industry's 25 footer and its heavy for its size.
My dealer at the time was the one who installed the class 3 hitch for me and they had no concerns.
So it might be worth checking out a KZ I'm just not sure how they build them now . Good luck to you
this is a very interesting thread to say the least. but most states do have a limit on length you can tow. then you have to buy oversize load permits in each state that your to long (or to wide) but with the proper permits your still legal.

I bought a 28' sea ray boat and it was 10' wide. so I found out that I needed wide load permits for Indiana and ohio and it was just more hassle than I wanted to fool with. so I just sold the boat and fish out of my 21' boat.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Minnow

I've done three now. They make a 4' receiver tube. You want to go with this so that you can catch your frame in about 3 places with cross members. I built it better than probable the manufacture built the Fifth Wheel. But thats my baby back there. Brakes on trailer "YES". I have surge on mine. I am not sure how you could adjust electric to work on FW and BT at the same time. But someone out there might have the answer for that. A camera is smart too. Not only to see boat,while towing. But to back up to hook up also. You also need safety chains going out to outside edge of camper too. I double chain mine, have normal loops next to ball and outside . One more thing that I think has helped my ride is air bags on truck. Or some sort air ride on FW. But not both. You then get a double bounce unstabile feel. One or the other has worked good for me. The truck would be my first choice.It comes in handy for other things too. Can send you a picture if needed. Good Luck

Last edited by Fish4ever; 02-26-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 AM

Thumbs up tandem towing

I've done the same thing for over 10 years without a problem. I towed a 20' Ranger bay boat (4000 lbs) behind a 25' Terry 5th wheel trailer from Michigan to Florida. The frame rails on my Terry were pretty heavy "c" channel. I welded up my own hitch using 3" x 3" square tube with a 1/4" wall constructed similar to a Reese receiver type hitch bolted from frame rail to frame rail. In Michigan we're required to have an endorsement on our license called a recreational double and safety chains connected to the 5th wheel frame. One thing to remember is that as you add trailer tongue weight to the rear of your camper, you reduce the kingpin weight on the 5th wheel. Since my freshwater tank was located in the front of the 5th I always made sure it was full of water and added more of the cargo frontwards of the axle.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Wallhanger

I've had hitches installed on three 5th wheels so far and I've never noticed a problem with the frames not being strong enough to handle a hitch installed. A lot depends on how they are built. All three were Keystone 5th wheels. I think the longer you can make to hitch tube under the camper, the better, due to leverage from the tongue weight. It also dissipates the stress over a larger area of the frame. The welding shop that installed all three of my hitches has stopped doing hitches this past year due to liability concerns.

I pull a Ranger 620 behind a Keystone Laredo 5th wheel. Definitely need a diesel pickup. I hardly notice any difference with the two verses just the camper. You just need to be aware of whats in front of you and allow yourself enough time to stop. And think ahead when you pull off the road to check and insure that you can continue to drive forward without backing up. You do not want to get yourself into a situation where you can't make a turn or you're boxed in and have to back up.

Last edited by drbrand; 02-26-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Tags
5th wheel , double tow , tandem , trailering