Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lac Seul East or West Big Walleyes - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwalleye1 View Post
I find I do better in the "less public" spots. The "nooks and crannies" rather than the major humps that everybody knows about.

That said, big fish primary migrate from east to west as they increase in size.....
I am at least fishing in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Wallhanger

If u guys think the bigger fish migrate west. Try Adamhay in the fall. Wow!
Old 08-20-2015, 05:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillies View Post
If u guys think the bigger fish migrate west. Try Adamhay in the fall. Wow!
Adamhay is part of the Root River system at the very northeastern end of Lac Seul. I would love to hear about your adventures on that lake. We were to camp at Coones Bay in 1982. The native Canadian indians were exercising their right to trap and fish in the area we had reserved. Our outfitter highly recommended not trying to camp there at that time. Never made it back to the area over all these years. Maybe one day..........

PjShorthorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2015, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

Ever since 12-15 years ago the big fish have been declining.there was a large abundance of 28-29"fish with some at 30" and over but not many.i have been fishing lac seul since the 80, s.lac seul is hindered most years from bad water levels either high or low.all these situations have effects on how the walleye spawn and who ever is responsible for keeping these levels normal doesnt seem to be doing a very good job.once a year class of fish either die off or get caught there gone and with bad spawns it takes to long to get them back.its the same on the east end of the lake.i have fished there as well.i have also observed the amount of boats there its very busy and right now is also a very dangerous situation for the walleyes as they are deep and bringing them up from that depth is going to kill a lot of them even if you think they look healthy when they are released. I rather look for them shallower this time of year.there are a lot of problems for walleye population's.but after all is said and done the fishing is still pretty awesome there.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
Adamhay is part of the Root River system at the very northeastern end of Lac Seul. I would love to hear about your adventures on that lake. We were to camp at Coones Bay in 1982. The native Canadian indians were exercising their right to trap and fish in the area we had reserved. Our outfitter highly recommended not trying to camp there at that time. Never made it back to the area over all these years. Maybe one day..........

PjShorthorn.
it was quite a few years back when we went and seemed later the better. there was a spot off the vermillion river road that a fella could put a boat in. not any bigger than a 16 foot with a 40 horse. went down a little creek(sometimes breaking ice and we always had a high power rifle for that just in case.for moose) and come out close to where we wanted to fish. a river flowed into adamhay that was a sanquarie. fishing just outside that in the channel that was there was amazing. those trips where u didn't bring fish home. over slots like crazy. may have cuaght the odd one under but that was it. between 2 or 3 guys we always caught at least one over 30" each. haven't done it in years(dam kids!). only problem was when the wind shot straight down that lake it was like the main body of lac suel. nasty!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Keeper

Prov, it is my understanding that hydro is first and the resource is second in Ontario. I was told this by a lodge owner who worked in hydro in his younger years. Drawing the water down on lac seul the way they do is exactly how u make the most money off of available water. When they "hold" back or "pass" water like they do here in the states to maintain more stable water levels, they are literally flushing money down the drain. Here in the states the hydro companies are typically required to maintain water levels by the federal energy regulatory commission (ferc). Canada either doesn't have an equivalent or lac seul is exempt.

As far as walleyes migrating all over lac seul, I guarantee it happens. What is debatable about it is how many yrs it takes and what percentage of the population does it. My money would be on a low percentage and several yrs.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillies View Post
it was quite a few years back when we went and seemed later the better. there was a spot off the vermillion river road that a fella could put a boat in. not any bigger than a 16 foot with a 40 horse. went down a little creek(sometimes breaking ice and we always had a high power rifle for that just in case.for moose) and come out close to where we wanted to fish. a river flowed into adamhay that was a sanquarie. fishing just outside that in the channel that was there was amazing. those trips where u didn't bring fish home. over slots like crazy. may have cuaght the odd one under but that was it. between 2 or 3 guys we always caught at least one over 30" each. haven't done it in years(dam kids!). only problem was when the wind shot straight down that lake it was like the main body of lac suel. nasty!
That is pretty cool.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Keeper

FWIW - I believe the walleye on LS migrate more than you may suspect. For one, tagged fish from Pelican falls (SE Lac Seul) are caught throughout the system. Also, on the East end (NE and SE) there is a lot more current, and walleye return here to spawn. Fishing is the best on this part of the lake in May and June, then the bigger fish migrate west to the central basin. In the central basin (I guided there for 4 years before moving to the East end) they struggle early and then do really well after that. If I was booking a trip, I'd fish the east side early in the season and the center basin in the summer. I have a lot of respect for lodges that prohibit the possession of OVER SLOT walleye. SWWL, Williams Bay etc. It does make a difference. Lodges on the east side and especially house boaters should take a page from their book. As a guide I work hard to educate my guests about the negative impacts of harvesting over slot walleye. So basically it does come down to seasonal migrations where and when big fish are encountered the most and restricting over slot harvest has to have an impact too. That's my opinion, FWIW.

Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul, Ontario.

Tags
big walleyes , lac seul