Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Humminbird thru hull transducer question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 03-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Minnow

Default Humminbird thru hull transducer question

Hi guys,
I am going to install 2 new Helix 12's in my Ranger 620VS. I have always run the standard transom mount transducers in the past with mixed success. They work great at slower speeds but not so much on plane. I am looking at the XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T. Does anyone have any experience with this on a Ranger 620VS? Will it perform better at speed then the standard transducer? I understand there is a transducer trade in program that might help me switch over to the thru hull transducer. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 08:27 PM
Wallhanger

You will need to run a glassed in transducer and a Y cable. That way it will read the glassed in 'ducer at speed. Your thru hull transducer will go on the step at the rear of the boat and it will be out of the water when on plane.

John Mickish
NPAA# 379
Old 03-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Keeper

Did you mean the SI/DI transducer will be mounted to the step so when on plane the Glassed in transducer will be placed in the bilge area of the 620? That way you get 2D reading when under speed?

One thing to note with the Y cable. I had a glassed in transducer that I found flopping around in the bottom of my 620 along with the SI/DI mounted to my step. I have no depth currently because of the Y cable I think. It seems that the glassed in transducer (2D) is always used for your depth/2D.

The Ranger dealer in Sioux Falls told me to transom mount my 2D just below the livewell outlets on my 620 instead of glassing in a transducer. with that said I'm still torn on what I'll do. I like not having things hanging off below the water line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 09:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki7 View Post
Did you mean the SI/DI transducer will be mounted to the step so when on plane the Glassed in transducer will be placed in the bilge area of the 620? That way you get 2D reading when under speed?

One thing to note with the Y cable. I had a glassed in transducer that I found flopping around in the bottom of my 620 along with the SI/DI mounted to my step. I have no depth currently because of the Y cable I think. It seems that the glassed in transducer (2D) is always used for your depth/2D.

The Ranger dealer in Sioux Falls told me to transom mount my 2D just below the livewell outlets on my 620 instead of glassing in a transducer. with that said I'm still torn on what I'll do. I like not having things hanging off below the water line.
I would glass in a new transducer, or re-glass in the one you have first, and see how well it works.
15 hp Suzuki tiller kicker with Itroll
101 lb Terrova I-pilot link
Humminbird Helix 10 mega si and 2 898s
Talon 12'
Lowrance HDS 5 gen2, used mostly for engine monitoring.

Free advice, and worth every penny.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Wallhanger

Having a transducer glassed in will give you the best results for depth readings at speed, and having the expensive SI/DI up on the step is the safest place for it as well.

John Mickish
NPAA# 379
Old 03-25-2016, 08:49 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKfisherman2 View Post
Hi guys,
I am going to install 2 new Helix 12's in my Ranger 620VS. I have always run the standard transom mount transducers in the past with mixed success. They work great at slower speeds but not so much on plane. I am looking at the XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T. Does anyone have any experience with this on a Ranger 620VS? Will it perform better at speed then the standard transducer? I understand there is a transducer trade in program that might help me switch over to the thru hull transducer. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

I have never seen one installed, but where are you thinking about installing this. Does this TD mount flush with the bottom of the boat, with a fairing over it ?

If that is how its installed, I would guess that it could only be installed in the bottom of the bilge along the centerline of the boat. Not sure how that would affect the performance of the boat ?

Does anyone have a pic of this TD installed on a boat ?

FYI, when using 2 TD's and wye cable, All 2D sonar comes from the one source (the glassed in/epoxied TD) 100% of the time. So when your trolling at 1 MPH, 2D sonar comes from the glassed in TD, and DI/SI comes from the HDSI TD hanging off the back of the boat. When your cruising at 35 MPH, the 2D sonar is coming from the glassed in TD, and DI/SI comes from the HDSI TD hanging off the back of the boat and depending on where it is installed (out of the water) not reading anything, but safe.
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n

Last edited by erino; 03-25-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 03-26-2016, 08:50 AM
Slot Fish

I have the 3 different types installed on my boat
The 2d one was having issues so im Currenty trying the thru hull
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	201850  
Old 03-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Slot Fish

I should clarify the 2d shoot thru was having issues like not reading so I would loose bottom depth on 2d image and depth numbers but the side image would still read and show fish but no number since when "Y" together the 2d transducer takes over the depth reading option.

The thru hull works the same as far as I'm conserned. The 2d still is not clear on plane but you get depth.

Not sure what speed you want to read bottom?

I have only been able to have good readings up to about 5mph with the side image and the 2d I never really look at other than depth when it running.

Don't have the new helix on my boat but we do on our pontoon and it is nice and clear they are nice units

The reason for me not to replace the shoot thru was that I had a lowrance temp sensor in one of the factory holes in the back and I figured why not replace it with something I can use
Old 03-26-2016, 12:59 PM
Keeper

That 2d you have mounted in the step is not in the water when you're on plane which explains why you have no depth.

You would either need the 2d located in the same plane as the speed sensor or glassed in front of that are in the bottom of the boat.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:02 PM
Slot Fish

Looking at that picture would also lead me to believe that your speed sensor would also be interfering with your side imaging.
Mercury 150 FourStroke - Rev 4 17P Prop
Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker
Minn Kota Terrova 80lb w/ IPilot
Humminbird Helix 12 SI/GPS - Console
Raymarine Dragonfly 6 - Console
Humminbird Helix 9 Sonar/GPS - Bow

Tags
humminbird , transducer