Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crawler Harness Line - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Minnow

Default Crawler Harness Line

I'm going to be tying my own crawler harnesses for this summer. I've got the quick snaps, hooks, blades and beads on order, but my question is what would be the best line to put it all on? I would assume a fluorocarbon leader material, so is there any type or brand that distinguishes itself for this presentation? I will mostly be fishing walleye in shallow (<20ft) NE South Dakota lakes with moderately stained water, and not a lot of structure apart from roadbeds, weeds and the rare flooded stock dam. Perch and fatheads are the main forage, and some of the lakes have a lot of slough sharks, so ideally something that can stand up to toothy critters. Thanks for any and all input.

Last edited by ejdelvo28; 05-06-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Keeper

I use 15lb Fluoro and have good luck. Limits the line twist and holds up pretty well with the pike. I have been using seaguar for three or four seasons now and haven't found a need to change.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Slot Fish

I've tied crawler harnesses for years with 17b vanish and 14# pline flouro never had an issue. this year i did splurge and order some Bloodrun 20# crawler harness leader.. hearing great things.... well see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 05:47 AM
Slot Fish

OP. I'd say it kind of depends on the size hooks and brand your gona be using. #6 size Gam. will not let much more than size 10lb. Stren or any other line larger threw the eye twice.
Minnkota 101 Terrova
2 Lowrance HDS12s & 1 HDS9 touchs

Life's good if ur Fishin
Old 05-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Keeper

I use 12# Yozuri (an inexpensive flouro hybrid). Works great and a bit smaller in diameter than 15 or 17# Also, it is stiff enough to avoid knotting on a slow death rig.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Slot Fish

I also use 17 pound vanish. I did use 15 lb seagar but wasn't a fan, I know a lot of people like that brand as well.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:47 PM
cutting edge

I use 15-17 # Seaguar leader material or Berkley xt, because the stiffer line allows blades to spin better.

Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Wallhanger

I used to use 15 pound Flourocarbon, but switched to 20 pound because of Pike.......
Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 PM
Keeper

Couple pro walleye guys told me the same advise. 17 lb Fluorocarbon, they push Berkeley but I've used both Berkeley Prof grade Fluorocarbon and Seaguar and both seem to hold up well. I will say 14 lb vanish I wasn't happy with the quality and I'm just trying to use it up for slip bob/float leaders.... I used as a leader for my 14 lb XL trolling lines but snapped off to many times and we don't have much pike issue on Bago. 17lb I haven't had any problems at all which I use 6 ft leaders on my set-up. I have used both fluorocarbon line and leader. I switched to line as it is a bit easier to tie and I didn't need the full abrasion resistance.

I also picked up some 30 lb line... Might think it is over kill but watch this video on how to store different beads and how quick you can set-up no the water if a patter develops and you don't want to take along a mile of pool noodles full of harnesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=fzjSIy3z1wk

And the famous pool noodle for storage. I don't double up but have different ones for treble hook, 3 hooks. But the bead video works great and give you plenty of selection you can quickly use. I save the loops and can re-use them for the next bead combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqf9Hl-Dnm8
Old 05-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Keeper

I use 12# sensation mono and my harness length is 26". Never an issue, but the lake I fish is anything but clear water.

Tags
crawler , harness , line , rig