Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
why fishing license after 70 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2019, 05:20 PM
harold12

Default why fishing license after 70

In our state we are supposed to be able to fish "free" after reaching 70. But they still require you to get a license at a cost of a couple/three bucks.. Not a lot of money but you have to go on line and apply and I haven't been able to make it work so I haven't fished for two years.

Got to thinking why it this even necessary? Does the state need the 2-3 bucks? So a warden can come up and ask for your drivers license which shows your age. Am I missing something about the necessity of caring an old guy state fishing license?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Wallhanger

You probably need the license so they can prove you are a resident with a good standing, ie you havent had your license revoked for poaching or something... that way they don't have to run your ID every time you are contacted by a warden, he can just look at your fishing license.

I have no idea what state "our state" is, but I would suspect the charge is because they don't do the licensing themselves. In Iowa, a 3rd party does all the licenses and charges a service fee for online sales and to the stores that sell them (they dont usually pass it on to the customer). In the case of a free license, they may pass it on as there is no money being taken in during the transaction.. that would be my guess at least. It's that way for re-printing licenses in Iowa, they charge you like $5 or something to use the service.

What state are you in that you cannot walk up to the counter at a sporting goods store and get a license? Should only need to show them your ID.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Slot Fish

A person at 70+ years should be able to come up with a few bucks for a fishing license. After all, who has more time to be out drowning night crawlers than us Old Gezzers? At almost 75, with the few active brain cells that I have rubbing together, I can still “cyfer” that this few dollars for a year’s privilege of stalking the willy creatures of the deep, is pretty cheap.

With respect to the “license” required, each State’s Wild Resource Management Agency receives funds from the Dingell-Johnson Act which in parts uses the numbers of fishing licenses sold in each State to determine how much each State receives.

Do your part for your State’s fisheries...smile when you buy the license..Name:  water13.gif
Views: 840
Size:  19.3 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 PM
harold12

OK, I guess my mind never goes to being a poacher or other illegal fishing things to get banded from fishing. With todays powerful computers it could take seconds to tie that to a drivers license. I understand that many states are soon going to be using just that, using info associated with your drivers license to check you out before boarding a plane.

As far as us old geezers being able to come up with a few bucks well I still make a good buck and I eat out every day and leave considerably more than that each day in tips, I don't think I'm cheap. Also this state the license fees goes into the general fund. With the amount of wasteful spending I see here, its a matter of principle that I'm not keen to give them more but again, I'll probably buy a latte tomorrow for more than that,..but OK I get it,... a 3rd party is processing it and they have to charge a fee.I still don't see the necessity of having to pin something on my shirt to fish a few times a year. OK maybe when you get this old you become curmudgeonly.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold12 View Post
OK, I guess my mind never goes to being a poacher or other illegal fishing things to get banded from fishing. With todays powerful computers it could take seconds to tie that to a drivers license. I understand that many states are soon going to be using just that, using info associated with your drivers license to check you out before boarding a plane.

As far as us old geezers being able to come up with a few bucks well I still make a good buck and I eat out every day and leave considerably more than that each day in tips, I don't think I'm cheap. Also this state the license fees goes into the general fund. With the amount of wasteful spending I see here, its a matter of principle that I'm not keen to give them more but again, I'll probably buy a latte tomorrow for more than that,..but OK I get it,... a 3rd party is processing it and they have to charge a fee.I still don't see the necessity of having to pin something on my shirt to fish a few times a year. OK maybe when you get this old you become curmudgeonly.
Our wardens in Iowa can run your drivers license # or social and see your licenses purchased if you happen to not have one on you when being checked. But I was told (lectured) that it costs the state almost $0.50 every time they run someones info in their system... which is why they will sometimes just write the ticket and say "dismiss-able if proof of license is shown" and you'll just show your license at the court hearing or to the county courthouse and get it dismissed.

Imagine if they had to run the info off of drivers license of everyone they check?? On a good weekend day, a warden may check a couple hundred licenses... that's a lot of wasted money vs having the people buy a printed out fishing license and showing it to the officer. Not to mention the time it takes for them to radio in or use their PC to look up everyones info. Every person checked would have to boat or walk to their truck so they could run their info and check if they have a license. Yeah, charging $2 and requiring the license be printed is a lot more economical and easier on the wardens.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:42 PM
harold12

OK maybe there is some type of federal kick back to our fisheries from license fees,.and maybe it has changed but I can remember about 10 years ago a newspaper article that said our license fees when into the general state coffers, not back to the sport,...
Old 07-10-2019, 08:45 PM
harold12

Our posts crossed,...OK I get it,..thank you...
Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold12 View Post
OK maybe there is some type of federal kick back to our fisheries from license fees,.and maybe it has changed but I can remember about 10 years ago a newspaper article that said our license fees when into the general state coffers, not back to the sport,...
What state? its public record of where all the money goes. Google search should shed light on that subject. It ALL goes to Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund in Iowa. And its in our state constitution that the money is used for fish and wildlife conservation, dnr can't use it for anything else. I can't speak for any other state.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Slot Fish

Kevin:
You most certainly are correct about the use of the funds. The States have nothing to say about which agency that the funds go to and how they are used. In fact both Dingell-Johnson and Pittman-Roberts funds can only be used, as defined by the Feds, for “management” and not Enforcement. I strongly disagree with the theory that Enforcement is not part of management. Without Enforcement, rules, regulations and laws are only suggestions.

These funds are from taxes collected from the sale of sporting goods...fish hooks, rods and reels, shotguns and such. And they cannot be used for anything other than management of fish and game. The USFSW keeps a very close eye on these moneys......
Old 07-10-2019, 10:03 PM
Slot Fish

Mr. Harold:

I am sorry if you thought that I called you “cheap”. That was not my intention. What I, in my clumsy way meant to say is that I am sure that no matter where you fish, the cost of a fishing license is probably the least expensive cost of your years’ fishing expenses.

I cannot say if all States’ hunting and fishing license fees are ear marked or if some may go to the general funds, I am only speaking of the Federal Excise Taxes collected on sporting goods, which in most states make up a high percentage of their Agencies’ budgets.

https://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/FASPORT.HTML